Reasonable delivery time?

mirakbiz_inc
Community Member
Hello

What would you consider a reasonable delivery time?

What does eBay and PayPal say?

Any other sources that can be quoted?

I have a buyer do a BIN at 12:15 AM on April 5, Item Shipped that same morning going to AB. Product was supposes to be there April 12 (as per CPC) and as of the 14 hasn't arrived. Shipped via Expedited Parcel, using the EST, Post office never scans the manifest so there's never a tracking info until parcel is delivered, the good news is that so far CPC has not lost any.

Buyer emailed me saying that if the parcel was not going to arrive this week, they want to Cancel their order...

Suggested answers are appreciated
Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

shoplineca
Community Member
Your listings simply state that you "SHIP" fast which is not the same as delivery.

Clearly the item has taken an inordinate amount of time given that it was shipped within Canada using Expedited Service.

I would suggest the following however, that you add to your TOS: "Delivery within Canada is between X and Y days, delivery to the US is XX and YY days".

Is there a reason you dont get the Post Office to scan your items? IF doing it for convenience, I see it as a gross inconvenience when something like this occurs and you need that information.

Malcolm
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

gem-n-i-gemstonz
Community Member
Hi Mirakbiz,

I would add one more thing to Malcolms suggestion....pad your time estimates a bit. CP never seems to be on time, and it reduces the frustration level of the customer, and therefor myself, when i dont have to constantly explain this to clients.

On the positive side, if they are expecting delivery within 3-5 business days, and they get it in 2, they are extremely happy, and usually say so in my feedback. To be sure, this part of the feedback is not really "deserved", but I'll take what I can get!

Jaqui

Gem Am I

The spiritual journey is individual, highly personal. It can't be organized or regulated. It isn't true that everyone should follow one path. Listen to your own truth. -Ram Dass

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

catseye*
Community Member
per Canada Post:

Expedited Parcel delivers the next business day locally, 1 to 3 business days regionally, and 2 to 7 business days nationally between major Canadian centres.

also:

To apply the On-time Delivery Guarantee to these standards, you must select the Delivery Confirmation No-charge option.

Since the day it's mailed is considered day 0, it should arrive today at the latest (assuming it was picked up and sorted the nite you mailed it). Although, if they're outside a 'major centre' it might take longer, correct?

Did you use on-time delivery? If so, I'd contact Canada Post.

*JMHO* - to be taken with a grain of salt!
Message 4 of 28
latest reply

catseye*
Community Member
even more fun:

On-time Delivery Guarantee – Claims for Delay
For those services with a guarantee of on-time delivery against published delivery standards, Canada Post's liability for delay is limited to the equivalent replacement service, or the credit of shipping charges. The guarantee is based on the service provided from the time of pickup or acceptance of the Item by Canada Post to the time the delivery was first attempted. The guarantee does not apply in the case of delay or non-delivery caused by an event beyond the control of Canada Post, including but not limited to, inclement weather, acts of God, acts of terrorism, acts of war, flight delays or cancellations, riots, strikes, foreign Customs authorities, or the act or default of the Customer. A claim for delay must be initiated by calling Canada Post's Customer Relationship Network at 1 888 550-6333 or 1 800 267-1177, by e-mail at www.canadapost.ca or by visiting an authorized Canada Post outlet within fifteen (15) Business Days from the expected delivery date according to the latest published Canada Post delivery standards. The Customer may be required to provide proof of the acceptance of the Item by Canada Post. Refer to the Canada Postal Guide for details on Service Standards.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

mirakbiz_inc
Community Member
I send a confirmation email once the items are shipped. On it I mention that delivery times are approximate, how long do they usually take and all that... I usually never have issues.

For Canadian shipments I have the EST to automatically send an email with the tracking #, it's a great tool because buyers can see their parcels shipped and all the appropriate info including a link to track. The problem is that it also shows the estimated delivery time according to CPC and that's the problem, since this one is two days late. For all of us, we know that two days late in CPC world is nothing... but for this customer is a lot.

Malcolm;
The reason why CPC ask the outlets not to scan the manifest is because that way they can "stretch" their delivery promise since they can say that the parcel didn't got in the mail stream until later. I use a shoppers post office and I get along very well with the post lady. They would not say that, and argue that the system does not work as it was expected

My original question was Do either Paypal or Ebay have a expectation of how soon should a seller ship and how long would a parcel take to be delivered?

I somehow remember reading that ebay or paypal expects that orders should be shipped with 7 days of payment...
Message 6 of 28
latest reply

mirakbiz_inc
Community Member
I have already opened a trace with CPC. They don't like to do so until 48Hrs after their original promised delivery date.

By the way, this parcel was going to a remote location in Alberta
Message 7 of 28
latest reply

catseye*
Community Member
I think Paypal only says that to be covered under one of their protection plans, it needs to ship within 7 days of payment.
Why not check it out on the PP site.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
mirakbiz_inc
I find that even the Canada Post owned locations "forget" to scan and I am constantly reminding them. Its unfortunate how they have to screw their customers with small time games like that.

It reminds me of the local butcher with his thumb resting on the scale at the same time he is weighing your meat.

Malcolm
Message 9 of 28
latest reply

mirakbiz_inc
Community Member
LOL you are right Malcom

BTW how's the weather in the nation's capital?

I'll be playing Stonebridge next tuesday, I hope weather is nice to me 😉
Message 10 of 28
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
Weather is fantastic here in Ottawa

I will be out all weekend in 15-18 temp cleaning my sailboat to sell this spring so it is ideal to be outdoors and doing 'Anything'.

Have a great time on Tuesday!

Malcolm
Message 11 of 28
latest reply

llee2
Community Member
Mirabiz,

Couple of things...first off, Expedited Parcel to Canada is guaranteed on time. So when they finally update the tracking upon delivery, call CP and ask for your postage to be refunded to you. They'll cut you a cheque for what you paid.

CP does not always update Expedited Parcel tracking while the parcel is in transit. I've had this conversion before with my CP rep. Although, they often do update, the only scan they are required to show is the delivery scan for Expedited Parcel. Call CP and speak with a rep - while they do not have to have updated tracking while in transit, they always have internal scans. The rep will usually tell you (if you ask), when the last internal scan was and where. And if you're buyer is so antsy, have him/her call CP and do the same.

Lincoln
Message 12 of 28
latest reply

llee2
Community Member
Oops, sorry for butchering your handle Mirakbiz...
Message 13 of 28
latest reply

catseye*
Community Member
Expedited is not always guaranteed. Excerpt from my above post:

To apply the On-time Delivery Guarantee to these standards, you must select the Delivery Confirmation No-charge option.

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

mirakbiz_inc
Community Member
I always do.

BTW Parcel was delivered Friday
Message 15 of 28
latest reply

llee2
Community Member
Expedited is always guaranteed if you use EST for shipments within Canada. Delivery confirmation is always applied with no option for "unchecking" it.
Message 16 of 28
latest reply

wrightcomputes
Community Member
We tried to have the PO scan our packages (shipped by manifest), and it doesn't work. They can only scan what is being paid-for at the counter.

We always pad our estimate for delivery. It's just a matter of managing expectations. If they get it sooner, they are happy, and it buys some extra time if the package happens to take the scenic route.

If the situation with the buyer is getting out of hand, pull their phone number from their eBay contact info and phone them. You'd be surprised how different they are on the phone than on emails. If the phone number is invalid, then it gives you a reason to have negative feedback removed -- if they leave you one.
Message 17 of 28
latest reply

catseye*
Community Member
They can only scan what is being paid-for at the counter.

Yup, I asked too. Apparently they can NOT scan US, but they CAN scan Cdn Expedited.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
BS about NOT being able to scan.

I insist that they scan, they scan and I get my updates (while the package is within Canada that is).

CP Management is realy getting to bug me now. They are sidestepping their procedures so they dont have to refund postage when they fail to deliver within schedule.

Express Post and Expedited re both premium services sold by CP for guaranteed delivery within a published time frame. For that service we pay a premium.

Tell your clerk when taking ion your manifest and items, you want them scanned while you are there. If it is a Drug Store outlet, tell them to telephone CP while you wait because the terms with CP for those 2 types of delivery are quite clear and they must be scanned to prove when they were shipped and your customers need that tracking information.

You are paying for that service.

PS weather update in Ottawa was that Saturday hot 23F and we will be getting the same today.

Malcolm
Message 19 of 28
latest reply

catseye*
Community Member
I don't take in a manifest. I use the on-line tools.

Message 20 of 28
latest reply