Received an damaged item, costly return shipping! I am stuck! Help!

ahson
Community Member

I bought a new cell phone from this ebay seller from China and finally arrived here after 2 months of waiting. Unfortunately the phone was damaged (external speaker not working) so I submit a dispute claim on PayPal. PayPay asked me to ship it back with tracking and they'll issue a refund when it gets delivered back to the seller.  

So I went to the Canada Post outlet today and tried to send it back to the seller. Surprisingly the only method to ship it back to China with tracking will cost $93.04CAD! I mean why do I need to suffer and pay this extra cost because the item that I received is DAMAGED (external speaker not working)? I am NOT returning it because I changed my mind, it's because the phone is damaged! I emailed PayPal and they didn't provide me any help and just said I should be paying the return shipping. Is this the PayPal 'buys with confidence' and 'buyer's protection' I am getting? Why should I being suffered on such situation? See attached for the price I was quoted from Canada Post. Please help!!!

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

First of all, allow me to express my condolences for this. This is a member-to-member board so we can offer only advice.

In my own experience with purchases gone wrong as a buyer, I have found that if you need to lobby paypal about something, an email is almost always pointless. In all but the rarest of instances, you are going to receive a form-letter type reply. With a problem like this, you're going to have to call them and state (no, plead) your case. 

This is unfortunately the risk one takes when making a purchase from someone far, far away. What seems like a great deal at the time can all-too-easily become the opposite if something goes wrong. A damaged item is one problem, there is also the possibility of it being the wrong item entirely, a counterfeit or, very, very rarely, an empty box.

I think the last thing I bought directly from China was an iPad case, what looked to be a lovely one. Leather. Fine Italian leather. In Canada, it retailed for like $150 CAD and I was, like, 'No way, Jose' so I found one on ebay in China and it came quickly and I was thrilled with it until I tried to put it on and discovered it was assembled upside down. So now I have a beautiful leather iPad case that opens to the wrong side and in all the wrong places. For me, however, it was not worth the cost of a return. I added it to the Never Again pile. 

If you have a clean account without a lot of suspicious activity as a buyer, and are polite but firm on the phone, you might find paypal can help you with alternative arrangements. I don't want to raise your hopes but it is possible. Maybe they could compel the seller to pay for return shipping since this isn't a case of wanting to do a return due to buyer's remorse. It's hardly your fault the item was not functioning when it arrived.

Good luck as you carry forward. 

If you think of it, let us know how it turns out. 

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Lately I have found the ebay return/buyer protection faster and more efficient then the paypal one.  Just go to your ebay summary, find the item and using the pull down menu use the RESOLVE A PROBLEM and it will give you the menues from there.  Buy the way an item that does not work is a significantly not as described item.  Depending on the seller and the item you may get off the hook for returning it, but explain in the information about the cost of returning it.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

That's good advice. I had not considered the formal aspect of 'returns' here. 

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

I went to my ebay summary --> return the item --> defective .... but after I put in my message and hit submit, I got an error msg 

We couldn't process your request because of a technical issue. Please try again.

Is this normal?! I waited for some time and tried again but same thing.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Don't worry about it, just a glitch. The imps that run the eBay programs were probably on a smoke break.

Whenever that happens I just back button and try again. If that doesn't work, and it usually does, I turn off the computer and go do something else for half an hour or less. When I turn on the computer again, everything is fine.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Your item did not get damaged. It never did work. In this case an item not as described case would have been the correct way.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Just tried again on using the ebay resolve a problem option and it's STILL saying it has a technical issue and asks me to try again. I am wondering if it's because I already opened a dispute case on PayPal (PayPal doesn't offer any kinds of help except telling me to return it for refund regardless of the $93 outrageous return shipping fee.

Am I running out of options here? Spending the $93 shipping fee is now my only option to get my full refund from PayPal? 

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Yes, that is probably the reason; you can't open cases simultaneously. Call Paypal right now. Explain the problem with return shipping. I'm almost positive they can help you. Surely they'll realize that if this was handled through ebay returns, your return shipping would have been covered. Maybe you can close the case on paypal and open it with ebay instead but DO NOT do that until you have the go-ahead from paypal and/or ebay. This is going to take time on the phone to handle. Significant time. Don't wait any longer. Good luck.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

I bought a new cell phone from this ebay seller from China and finally arrived here after 2 months of waiting.

I'm surprised either Paypal or eBay was interested in any way at all, since the deadline for opening a Dispute of any sort has been 45 days from purchase or 30 days from expected delivery date.

Personally, I would forget both and go to the credit card you back your PP account with. (PP is just a mediator, although very useful and within 45 days helpful).  Phone the 1-800 number and ask about a chargeback.

While cards do have longer deadlines, they do have deadlines so act immediately.

The card may still ask that the phone be returned to the seller, but they may not, or they may accept proof of mailing rather than the more expensive tracking.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Once you have opened a case on one site, you can't open one for the same item on the other site. More than likely you were too late to open one on ebay as you have 30 days from the date of estimated delivery.

Paypal does require the buyer to pay for returning an item so you might have better luck phoning ebay and pleading with them even though you didn't open the case with them. They do say that if a seller is at fault, the seller has to pay return shipping but that doesn't seem to be set up when a seller is outside of Canada or the U.S.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

I'm surprised either Paypal or eBay was interested in any way at all, since the deadline for opening a Dispute of any sort has been 45 days from purchase or 30 days from expected delivery date.

A dispute can be opened on Paypal for up to 180 days from payment. That changed in January. 

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

ahson
Community Member
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Does anyone know what's eBay phone number and PayPal? I couldn't find it on their websites. I can only see the email option...

Thanks again!
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Quick Update: I made a phone call to ebay (waited 8 mins, not bad) and they said they couldn't open a case as I already opened one on PayPal. Anyhow ebay said they cover buyer's return shipping (within US only, from what she said) if there is a similar case like this. eBay is much better than PayPal which they don't cover any return shipping on buyer's end. Lesson learned, never ever use PayPal's buyer's protection as it's completely useless. Always go for the eBay program when there is any issues.

Since no one could help on my return shipping to China, I'll need to spend the extra $93CAD shipping fee in order to get my $400USD refund. It's totally ridiculous and it's one expensive lesson I learned. I am discouraged from buying on eBay again, especially sellers from China!

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am curious as to why didn't you open a dispute for "Item Not Received" just before 45 days?  It would help.

As for damaged items, I would inform the seller and ask if he would be willing to pay the return shipping cost.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

After you have mailed this item back and you provide the tracking number to papal, I would, if I were you, call there and plead your case. Offer to send them your postage receipt so they can see you're not exaggerating on the cost to send it back with tracking, as per their requirements. My original advice stands. Talk to a real person at paypal about this.

It's not as if it was your fault this happened. See if you can't compel paypal to force the seller to pay for return shipping as retribution for proving you (and possibly others) with a defective product. Explain how you feel about this whole debacle, that you 'learned a hard lesson about not buying big ticket items from sellers overseas' and that you won't be doing it again but also that is has totally soured you on using paypal as your payment method of choice.

Don't be rude about it, just state the facts about how you are feeling right now. You don't sound like a hothead here, you would do well to talk to a real person at paypal about this problem. Sometimes, customer service reps have a bit of leeway and, if you have a clean account without gratuitous claims, they may see you're an honest buyer who fell into bad circumstances through no fault of your own. 

Again, I'm sorry this has happened. If you choose to stick it out with ebay, you'll find most sellers would give you the shirt off their back if they thought it would make a buyer happy. If you're feeling skittish about buying again, have a look through the discussion boards here on ebay canada to see who is selling what products and then also how they conduct conversations within the ebay community. It might provide some insight into who could be a good seller from Canada and how they navigate interpersonal relationships. I don't know, it's just a thought. 

Good luck as you carry forward. 

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Canada Post charges too much for postage  IMHO.

The postage to return it usually cost more than the price of the item itself from sellers from China.

Might as well buy another one which includes free shipping.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Update: I did send back the package to the seller in China as instructed by PayPal. Package was sent back on Feb24 and the seller received it on Mar5. The tracking # confirmed it and the seller signed for it as well. I emailed PayPal immediately but their response was pretty much useless as they said they'll look into it and will issue me a full refund once they confirm the package has been received by the seller. Com'on seriously how long does it take for someone to type in a tracking number in the postal system and look up these kind of information?! It's been 4 days now and I still haven't receive any sorts of refund or response from PayPal. PayPal is absolutely useless. Just to remind everyone, NEVER EVER USE PAYPAL PROTECTION when there is any issues! I had zero protection from PayPal as a buyer. I am the person being hammered in this situation, not PayPal, nor the seller.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

I would suggest that you telephone PayPal.  I have not had to call very often, but each time the CS rep was knowledgeable and helpful.  The tiny bit of extra effort it takes to call instead of email is usually worth it when you want results quickly.    You can ask to get passed on to a higher-up if the first person cannot resolve things, which will never happen with an email.  The one slightly annoying part of phoning them, is that their automated answering system cannot seem to read the phone number on my account, and I go through a few extra minutes of additional Q&A to get to a live person.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

I have to agree with Maggie B here. You must call. 

Message 20 of 20
latest reply