Registered mail vs Regular parcel

I was looking into prices for tracking a 80g bubble mailer and was quoted $15.93 for regular parcel for over the counter price.  With paypal shipping discount its $14.67?? I thought the discount was higher? can anyone confirm??  Why wouldnt I send a light item like this registered mail, was quoted $10.33? I know registered mail you even get signature confirmation, but maybe a bit slower getting mailed.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Registered mail vs Regular parcel

It's not enough to get a signature - you have to get signature confirmation that is viewable online.  I don't think the Registered mail does that.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Im talking for just tracking purposes, the sig is just a bonus over reg parcel (for reg parcel it cost 1.50 more to add)

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

If the item is under $250 (including postage) in case of a Dispute, PP will require Signature Confirmation of delivery or PP will refund the entire payment and come after the seller for the money. The seller gets a note on his seller account.

If the item is under $250, only Delivery Confirmation is required in case of a Dispute.

The DC/SC is only useful to protect the seller if there is a Dispute. It has no other value.

Many sellers, myself included, believe that it is better to ignore the possibility of a Dispute and ship without DC/SC keeping our shipping and handling fees lower and more acceptable to buyers.

Instead we factor a small premium into each asking price (less than a dime, usually less than a nickel) to cover the very occasional claim of loss or damage.

If a buyer contacts us with a loss or damage claim, we refund from that virtual Cookie Jar filled with virtual nickels. No involvement of PP, happy buyer, no actual loss of money or reputation.

Be aware that this may not work well in high fraud categories like electronics or sportscards.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Ah - expensive sportscards.

You should look into third party insurance like shipinsurance or if you are a registered business, Hugh Wood International.

Registered Mail is NOT for you. ExpressPost or Priority Post would be what you need to cover your assets.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I do not even have to read Femme's answer to know she is right and covered it all.

My view is that registered mail is for the hyper-valuable like gov't documents. When you start paying a lot of money for every tranascation, the costs start to become annoying.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Ok, but insurance and signature aside if you just want tracking then isnt registered mail the way to go save $3.50 per package over regular parcel AND expedited mail even after paypal discount.  I was reading most people say expedited is the way to go but registered is cheaper still and still tracked... doesnt registered mail make more sense or am I missing something here??

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Tracking is a myth. It does not work. You are paying money for something you will never use. Why bother?

I have calculated that I have an extra $11,500 in my pocket by NOT buying insurance ALONE over the last ten years.
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I've never used registered mail but according to the CP website, registered mail does show delivery confirmation and a signature online if the item is mailed within Canada. Paypal requires that info online so that should work for you, but please doublecheck with the post office first as I don't have first hand experience.

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/pgregister-e.asp#1386731

Note that registered mail outside of Canada does not have any sort of online confirmation.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Paypal does not recognise registered mail. Should a buyer claim nonreceipt they will refund the buyer even if registered mail shows it was delivered.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I'm curious how you know that....did Paypal refuse a claim from you for registered mail within Canada?

I know that some people on the boards agree with you but considering that there is online delivery confirmation for registered mail within Canada, it doesn't make sense to me that Paypal would reject a claim. Perhaps the del. confirmation is different in some way??

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

That makes no sense to me Paypal would reject registered mail as valid proof from a claim of non-received goods.  Its tracked, delivery confirmed and has signature confimation (which is also viewable online the next day)  what more proof can you give than that?  I found out the reason registered mail is cheaper than regular parcel is because registered mail is only for lettersize and letter oversized mail.  Once you go over the 20mm thickness, regardless of weight you must use regular parcel, expedited, expresspost etc, and if you add a signature to any of those options its considered the same as registered mail(parcel) but these options have faster shipping times whereas registered lettermail sizes are shipped at the usual slower speed.

Does anyone know if you get the registered mail labels in advance can you deliver in reg mailbox? They come with tracking number attached, post office workers were wishy washy on the answer to that.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Oh yeah and with registered mail there is online viewing of signature next day as well.. but all those things are good enough for paypal?  Does anyone have any experience with that?

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I've used Registered Mail on occasion (buyer requests) for expensive 7" singles. Since Registered via Canada Post is only for letters you have to tell the Post Office (if asked) and declared on the customs form (if used) that it's just printed matter and not merchandise.

The few times I've used it (Brazil, Russia, Italy) I've gotten delivery scans although usually only at the destination country's postal service website. You DO NOT usually get a signature or even a name of the recipient.

I sent one to Brazil on July 10th, it was in Sao Paolo on the 16th and took another 2 weeks to be delivered in Rio, it was scanned on delivery, at Canada Post it still only shows "Depart for destination country".

One other thing OP, if you are printing postage via eBay/{ayPal you should be selecting Expedited Parcel not Regular Parcel to get the full discount.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

OP, if this is for shipping within Canada then I would suggest the Xpresspost Prepaid envelopes, usually 1 day delivery for Regional, 2 day nationally.

Not sure of the exact prices, about $10 for regional $13 for national when you buy the 4 packs with your Venture One discount.

http://www.canadapost.ca/shop/commercial-supplies/prepaid-shipping-envelopes/xpresspost-national.jsf...

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 15 of 15
latest reply