Response suggestions please

Here's an interesting email I got today: any suggestions are welcome!

Dear Seller,

I've just arrived home from two days in Tucson - about 75 miles away from
here, where my husband had surgery. I just checked my email and I see a bid
confirmation on your item and then an end of auction on your item saying
that I've won this item.

I hate to tell you this but I not only didn't bid on your auction I wasn't
even home near my computer to do so. I am a seller on ebay of books and
other "estate sale finds" - I can appreciate your disappointment and cannot
imagine how this happened or who might have played such a trick on both of
us.

Please respond so we can work out how to resolve this. Thank you - Pam

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
While her story sounds quite reasonable, what seems strange is that she, as a seller, is not concerned over someone using her eBay ID and bidding on items. Therein lies the problem and suggests that she is not completely on the Up and Up.

How many of us would reply so casually at this event occurring and not raise the more serious problem of identity theft.

I think she came up with a good story but I dont believe her based on her lack of concern over her ID being used.

Malcolm

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Malcolm, you've put very succinctly just what I was feeling. Plausible but just not quite right.
Didn't like the phrase 'who might have played such a trick on both of us.'
Both of us??
Ann
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
I never offered you my suggestion. Offer you sympathy for her husband's condition and pass along good wishes for his improving health.

Now call a spade a spade! As she was bold enough to very apparently lie, and use her purported dying husband as an excuse, I would remind her that the bids were made using her eBay id and that SHE alone should address this with eBay i she is adamant she didnt bid and didnt leave cousin Elly at home to bid or some other friend or relative . Tell her that you will have to treat it as a NPB unless she would like to proceed and complete the transaction.

Using her own language, remind her, that as you are both eBay sellers, there is a cost that you have incurred. The listing fee, the eBay commission on the sale, the loss of other bidders for the item and your time.

Then ask her how she would like to resolve it.

Malcolm
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
Using her own language, remind her, that as you are both eBay sellers, there is a cost that you have incurred. The listing fee, the eBay commission on the sale, the loss of other bidders for the item and your time

BINGO
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

www-labels4less-com
Community Member
She is in a binding contract to purchase the item. If she has a problem with ebays security she should take it up with them.
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

It gets funnier - here's her latest reply - by the way, at no time did I suggest cancelling the transaction.

Hello Ann,

It's been so hectic here that I only wrote to you immediately - I did not
even think to report it to ebay. If you wish to cancel the transaction and
get your fees back I am in complete agreement. If you need me to pay for
the transaction I will do that as well - it's only $5 and I do not wish any
hard feelings over a situation neither of us can control. However, I do not
wish you to send me the book - just re-list it.

If you can arrange with ebay to cancel the entire transaction please take
the lead and do that. I don't want you to have any unearned fees.

Robert is progressing nicely thank you - unfortunately we are also having a
new roof put on the house and it has dragged out far too long - the constant
disruption is adding to the stress.

Thanks for your understanding - I believe I must take a minute and change my
password - YIKES - think of going through this every week or so.

Regards, Pam

What's really silly is she won a book at the starting bid of $4.95 - a book which I often sell for $9-12. She could easily sell it again herself. Such a weasel.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

coastwindchimes
Community Member
Hi--
I would not worry about this $5 transaction. If her husband did have health problems, as she says, then she may not be thinking too straight. Her second email sounds more than reasonable, and, in fact, a good deal for you if you usually get more for this book. I'd send in a NPB, get your fees back, and relist. $5?-- Big deal. forget it. (Oh, but I would be sure to add her to your block list.)
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

wendytheactivist
Community Member
Hi

Brand new to this board but wanted to reply. Sometimes things that sound impossible really are true, I would not be so quick to judge, she did offer to complete the transaction, which is exactly what I would do. Block her? I don't know, would depend on her other feedback.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

gloriaguides
Community Member
Hi Wendy-glad to see a new face around here. Welcome!
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Since I was the first to offer my comments and in particular, suggest that she may not be on the up and up, I think her most recent email sounds quite genuine.

I would now give her the benefit of the doubt.

Malcolm
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

shooger
Community Member
1) block
2) don't accept any money on the item
3) relist
4) arrange to leave mutual positive feedbacks
5) use the "buyer and seller both agreed to not complete transaction" form to get your final value fee back - not the NPB form

Just my angle.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
I don't know. I am having a really hard time buying this. I think Malcolm originally had the tail tagged. She just wasn't shocked or outraged enough to have had that happen. Did she go and check her own bid history to see if there were other unsuccessful bids that were made on her behalf? I think if she would have done that, she would have said it, if for no other reason that to drive her point home.

Which is it....they were out of town for surgery or are they roofing the house? Did anyone check her sales to see if she has items up and when they were finishing? I am so bad for this. As was mentioned, she's a seller and she just wasn't upset enough by what had happened. If she thinks it could have been a kid or a neighbor, why wouldn't she just say that and offer to pay the fees or accpet the package. Makes NO sense...not any part of it!

Jackie...
Message 13 of 13
latest reply