Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

Re: Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

you're the only one I've seen.

Message 321 of 1,448
latest reply

One other thing that I believe E-bay management really needs to re-think at the highest levels is: who it's customer is and what the relationship is to sellers. 

The end customer who buys the product we are selling is NOT e-bay's customer. No amount of amending the user agreement with sellers and no amount of insistence by e-bay employees will make it so. Your customers are US - the sellers. We pay monthly fees to sell on here. It is US that you should be concerned about. In turn it is our job to worry about what the buyers want, not yours. There is no way that you could possibly know more about what the buyers want than your sellers do. Whomever came up with the idea the company should treat the end buyer as the customer and sellers as quasi-employees with no benefits or guaranteed income, in my mind is probably someone with an MBA, who has only ever worked for large companies and never actually run a business themselves. 

The end buyer is our customer period. 

We are not your employees. Please stop treating us as such. 

Message 322 of 1,448
latest reply

Rodney wrote in reply to dimitha:

We knew this would be upsetting for impacted sellers and it made it a tough decision. But ultimately, we're sure it's the right one for our market place.

There it is folks!

Message 323 of 1,448
latest reply

Is this "new tool" going to the allow the seller to easily adjust the price to reflect the exchange difference, so that, for example, I can easily change a $100 USD auction to $130 CDN?

Good point

Message 324 of 1,448
latest reply

also charge an extra $10 to the shipping quote to cover ebay/paypal fees

Message 325 of 1,448
latest reply

It's interesting, I've been selling on ebay for years and I could swear that there was always a message at the top of the the "sell your item" page that stated that items listed in US dollars sold, on average, for 17% or 18% (I don't know the exact number) higher than items listed in Canadian dollars. Is this still the case ebay? Why would I want to sell in a currency that is going to produce 17-18% less in sales.

Message 326 of 1,448
latest reply

Why? Why not leave the choice to the sellers which currency they decide they would like to list their products on? Ebay, you have to remember that these folks are the ones who pay the bills and the provide for mega profits of Ebay.  They asked a focus group? Balony... why would any one suggest a reduction in choice and flexibilitity. This smacks more of "how can we make more on currency conversions.  Retract this silly policy please.  My two cents.

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 327 of 1,448
latest reply

No, I'm the only one suicidal enough to come here and self-identify as such in front of the we-love-usd-execution squad. 

Message 328 of 1,448
latest reply

@ecgt wrote:

Will eBay be refunding my annual store fees for changing the rules of the game mid-contract?

Good point. The arguement can be made that eBay should allow those who no longer want to have an eBay store because of these changes, have the right to cancel their annual contract and get a pro-rated refund without penalties.

But I suspect the legal fine print in the store contact allows eBay to change the selling rules.

Message 329 of 1,448
latest reply

Can Canadians charge HST to Canadians if they list on ebay.com?

Logo photo Logo.gif
Roblin's Garage - Classic Auto Salvage
Demorestville, ON / Scarborough, ON
Message 330 of 1,448
latest reply

No kidding. If we are forced to move to ebay.com they better fix the shipping from paypal!!  I for one will stay on .ca for a time and change all my listings to CAD allowing for the exchange rate. Unfortunately I will be forced to list at 10 day intervals due to the fluctuating dollar. It will be much harder to stay with Ebay, so I will be moving to other venues I am sure.

One question, will we be able to have listing on both .ca and .com with the same Ebay ID? and will both show up on seller manager?

Message 331 of 1,448
latest reply

But consider the Canadian shopper that sees you are Canadian and then sees how much more they have to pay compared to the US buyers. I expect to lose some Canadian sales for sure. I think I will put a blurb in the description for canadians to find me on .ca and give them a bit of a discount. Now at least I won't be dinged for duplicates

Message 332 of 1,448
latest reply

@roblinsgarage wrote:

Can Canadians charge HST to Canadians if they list on ebay.com?

Yes, if the tax tables are setup on .ca, they will carry over to .com as long as you are using the same account to list the item. On .com you'll only see the US tax table in the preferences, but the listing itself will apply your .ca tax table if present.

Message 333 of 1,448
latest reply

I realize that your decision is a done deal so why ask for our comments/discussions at this point in time????  I have been selling from Canada on Ebay since 1999 with over 6000 sales and  Ebay has stated many times in writing to me that selling in US funds was better than selling in Canadian funds and you convinced me that this was true.  Now you are writing that no this was not true (you were lying to me) and that selling in Canadian funds is the better way to increase sales.  Total absolute bull **bleep**.  Its obvious that you wish to increase your profits by padding the exchange rates to your favor.  Right?  I am so disappointed with Ebay right now that I too, like the others sellers, would move to a competitor asap but then you would just buy them out like you did for Kijiji etc.  

Message 334 of 1,448
latest reply

@nanaimoonline wrote:

also charge an extra $10 to the shipping quote to cover ebay/paypal fees

Why?

ebay/paypal fees are a percentage of the sale. So if the correct ratio is chosen then fees are also equivalent.

However, if you want your CA$ sale to end up being converted into US$ -- then you add 4-5% extra to the translation ratio to cover those secondary conversion costs.

Message 335 of 1,448
latest reply

@sheepgal54 wrote:

But consider the Canadian shopper that sees you are Canadian and then sees how much more they have to pay compared to the US buyers. I expect to lose some Canadian sales for sure. I think I will put a blurb in the description for canadians to find me on .ca and give them a bit of a discount. Now at least I won't be dinged for duplicates

They are going to see the equivalent in their currency.

Message 336 of 1,448
latest reply

For the record, eBay Canada is the only eBay site in the world to ever have offered the possibility to list in more than the local currency.

not true What about all the china listings in multiple currencies on .com?

Message 337 of 1,448
latest reply

I am wondering if this is a move to get the Chinese sellers off .ca that sell in multiple currencies with duplicate listings but only change titles?

Message 338 of 1,448
latest reply

Canada = 35 Million Buyers
USA = 320 Millions

I am in Canada and shop in USD. It's simply more convenient for everyone and it keeps the prices rounded.

Message 339 of 1,448
latest reply

EXCEPT i don't want to list in CAD dollars... the international currency of trade is, and will continue to be US dollars... and people shopping online know this. Also my paypal account was started in US dollars and the only account the paypal ATM card will access is the US dollar balance since its a US bank issued card. Therefore I will end up taking a double hit on currency conversions having to transfer canadian payments into US dollars and then withdraw the canadian dollars or spend canadian dollars in canadian stores (as the debit cards run under the mastercard system).

Message 340 of 1,448
latest reply