Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

Re: Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Yet Another drawback! Ugh!
Message 601 of 1,448
latest reply

"Actually contacted Revenue Canada in reference to Global Shipping. After a month got a ruling that I could not get back import fees."

The Global Shipping program contains a clause that it cannot be used by buyers for commercial activities.  That is how no GST/HST amount is specifically stated.

However, GST/HST registered sellers purchasing taxable goods through the program could still claim ITC by extracting the GST/HST component of the "import charge".

For example if the "import charge" is US$18.00 and Pitney Bowes typically charges $5.00 handling fee, that leaves $13.00 which could be claimed as ITC IF the amount approximates the amount of tax collected for that value (for example  US$100 purchase would cost US$13 HST to Ontario).

Good Luck

PS - The important part to remember is that "import charge" is NOT tax and/or duty. 

To get ITC you need to extract the HST/GST component by taking out PB service charge and duty if included.

Message 602 of 1,448
latest reply

I just realized I have all my shipping prices in USD at the bottom of all of my listings descriptions. What a blunder I have done. I have done it for years and it was just second nature to me to do so. With Canada Post raising their prices all the time I should've known to change this. With this USD > CAD change ,I now have to change them to reflect our Canadian currency accordingly..............or maybe just leave it and confuse the 95 % of my U.S buyers?

I dont think the May 2nd save all savior tool will help that?

Message 603 of 1,448
latest reply

You can use the "bulk revise" tool to change the amounts of shipping in your description

Message 604 of 1,448
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

You can use the "bulk revise" tool to change the amounts of shipping in your description

Really? I hope so. Never tried that. Thanks

Message 605 of 1,448
latest reply

@crazy_for_comics wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

I've used this bulk revise before and I thought it wouldn't work the way I thought. I just tried it and I still have to do every single listing individually. My shipping costs were also put in the item description (Doh) and I have to omit them all, although I dont specify what currency there, the shipping price will still be off to my U.S based customers.
Although this was bulk revise will be quicker, it will still take a whole bunch of time. I'm not sure if I will as I might do the Ebay.com change.

"Do or do not!, There is no Try!"
Message 606 of 1,448
latest reply

@crazy_for_comics wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

If your listings are consistent in how you have typed in the shipping amount, you can use turbolister to do this. Highlight the listings to be changed, then use the edit --> search and replace function to replace a string of text.  

You might consider moving to a template service at some point. The one I use is a responsive mobile friendly template and allows modular blocks you can use for different sections that require periodic updates such as shipping information. You can then separate your item description from these blocks so you apply live on the fly changes when needed with about 10 seconds of work. As you an imagine it is a bit of work to do this at first but it makes things much much easier to manage and cleans up your listings.

Message 607 of 1,448
latest reply

@hlmacdon wrote:

@crazy_for_comics wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

If your listings are consistent in how you have typed in the shipping amount, you can use turbolister to do this. Highlight the listings to be changed, then use the edit --> search and replace function to replace a string of text.  

You might consider moving to a template service at some point. The one I use is a responsive mobile friendly template and allows modular blocks you can use for different sections that require periodic updates such as shipping information. You can then separate your item description from these blocks so you apply live on the fly changes when needed with about 10 seconds of work. As you an imagine it is a bit of work to do this at first but it makes things much much easier to manage and cleans up your listings.

Nice! That sounds like a route I should do in the near future. I haven't used Turbo lister in years. Thanks for the info

Message 608 of 1,448
latest reply

You hit the nail on the head! Totally agree!!
Message 609 of 1,448
latest reply

@crazy_for_comics wrote:

@hlmacdon wrote:

@crazy_for_comics wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

Nice! That sounds like a route I should do in the near future. I haven't used Turbo lister in years. Thanks for the info

The same issue will exist with Turbo Lister as is with online bulk edit.

The problem is that the hidden HTML in the text you try to find. The description Find and Replace works correctly except there is HTML in there. If you try to find the entire three lines of shipping text in the listing, each line has HTML between it and the next line. The actual text in the line does not have HTML in between words. (It could but I spot checked a couple of listings.)

So for your block of text for shipping in the listings

U.S. Shipping and Handling is $5 usd air lettermail.

Canadian Shipping and Handling is $4 usd air lettermail.

International Shipping and Handling is $8 usd air lettermail.

do not try to find and replace the 3 lines of the block. Instead work on smaller pieces within a line.

So find

U.S. Shipping and Handling is $5 usd

and replace with say

U.S. Shipping and Handling is $7 CDN

Repeat three find and replaces in the bulk editor online for each line and it will come out okay.

When using the bulk editor online, use the description find and replace option, edit a few listings at the same time as a test, then use the Preview button in the bulk editor to see if the find worked and the replace was done. Spot check a few listing with Preview and then hope it is all okay. Then submit.

You could find using the more complicated text with HTML in it but you are most likely going to mess it up.

As for Turbo Lister, it has the same issue with Find and Replace so don't waste time installing and downloading it. You can do the same bulk edit wit online bulk edit and faster.

Many sellers think that the ebay Find and Replace does not work. It is fine. The issue is with sellers trying to find what they see in the description and not what is coded as HTML. When I bulk edit, I bulk edit the HTML view. Even when I do that, the ebay description editor is poor at keeping the HTML clean and there are hidden characters dropped that mess up the find search too. A real mess at times unless the listing is new and fresh and clean.

I know I am not explaining this well. Sorry, hard to explain.

Message 610 of 1,448
latest reply

Copy/Paste of you shipping lines did not come out in the correct colors when pasted here from your listings.

Message 611 of 1,448
latest reply

@hlmacdon wrote:

@crazy_for_comics wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

The nice thing about the block design in a third party listing service like Auctiva or inkFrog is that you can edit one of the blocks and change it and it will propagate to all the listings that use that block. And these 3rd party services do not use find and replace to find the change and apply, they complete rewrite the description since the description block and the special blocks are all in their system. Almost foolproof system. But to make these third party tools work, you must always make changes from inside their system. No editing of the listing on ebay directly using revise. Whatever you change there is outside the 3rd party tool system and is unknown to them and lost if you make further changes from within the 3rd party tool system.

Message 612 of 1,448
latest reply

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will do a new template for new listings for sure. Just have to do some Spring cleaning on the existing ones
Message 613 of 1,448
latest reply

I think it will be very consuming for US buyers to see shipping prices in Canadian dollars!  Why does this inconvenience have to be so?

Message 614 of 1,448
latest reply

Another headache I posted on the site issue board.

I changed my billing currency from US to Canadian and now I can't make a one time payment using Payal to clear my US balance. It will not let me choose to pay my US balance in US dollars, it wants me to pay my US balance in Canadian dollars only.

Any one else run into this or if Ebay staff is still around, please get this fixed ASAP

Message 615 of 1,448
latest reply

someone pleases answer this,

#1- will eBay be making a tool to convert my 3000 Turbo Lister items to the dot COM site? 

#2- on dot COM will I be able to charge taxes for the Canadian buyers?

these are VERY important questions I need answered as I'm sure others do as well.

Please answer.

Message 616 of 1,448
latest reply

That issue with the billing currency has been addressed on that thread. 

It has nothing to do with the recent change announced by eBay of changing eBay.ca to a single currency site.

Message 617 of 1,448
latest reply

"on dot COM will I be able to charge taxes for the Canadian buyers?"

That is already there and is currently used by thousands of GST/HST registered Canadian sellers.  It has been discussed several times in the last few days. 

You need to use the tax table on eBay.ca  http://pages.ebay.ca/help/pay/checkout-tax-table.html

and make sure your listings on eBay.com refer to the tax table.  The Canadian tax table will be automatically selected when the buyer is located in Canada.

Message 618 of 1,448
latest reply

i think ebay should fix all the glitches and problems on the site before taking on this ,
Message 619 of 1,448
latest reply

NO one is OK with this change, as usual they just went ahead with what is good for them , not US the seller, been selling since 1999 , and this site has been going downhill since 2004....

we hardly make any sales , let alone any money !!!!

Message 620 of 1,448
latest reply