Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

Re: Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

I did some listing on .com a few years ago and it was not possible to combine shipping for items listed on .com and .ca.  I doubt very much that that has changed, nor will it be likely to change.  By the same token, I could not combine shipping for items sold to the same buyer when he/she purchased from my 2 different stores on .ca.

Message 781 of 1,448
latest reply

Hi Ebay.ca staff.

I just have one thing I think might help.  If the shipping cost, that comes up on Ebay.com, is converted to US dollars, for our good American friends.

Just so they don't have to convert.  So, listing in CDN dollars, and then when the American Gets the shipping on the calculator its in US funds.

Could that be possible with some development by the programmers?

Message 782 of 1,448
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Sounds like a scam to me... You wouldn't be doing this unless it meant more money for eBay.  My guess is you are going to hit us hard on the seller fees...

When I sell an item in U.S. DOLLARS on eBay.ca, I pay 10% of the sale to eBay in U.S. DOLLARS as seller fees. So it would be my guess that you are going to continue to charge my seller fees in U.S. DOLLARS as 10% of the CANADIAN DOLLAR selling price.

What currency I choose to sell in should be my choice, not yours!

Message 783 of 1,448
latest reply

I'm thinking the same thing after 18 years

@cherylzwick wrote:

I think after 12 years on ebay, as of July 1 st, I will be done!!!!

Message 784 of 1,448
latest reply

"You wouldn't be doing this unless it meant more money for eBay. "

I agree.  eBay makes money through fees we pay, mostly FVF.  So the more we sell, the more fees eBay collects.

If eBay.ca is correct that Canadians will be better off selling in Cdn$ then our sales go up, their income goes up. WIN-WIN

If eBay.ca is wrong and Canadians end up not selling more when using Cdn$, our sales go down, eBay's income go down. I do not think they are looking for that outcome.

"What currency I choose to sell in should be my choice, not yours!"

Everyone agrees to this..  I agree, eBay agrees.  Canadian sellers have the option to sell in whatever currency they want.  If they think they will be better in Cdn$, they will use eBay.ca, if they think they will do better in US$, they will use eBay.com, if they think they will do better listing in Sterling, they will use eBay.uk, etc....  The choice of currency belongs to the seller.

Message 785 of 1,448
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

It is about 50/50 sourced American to Canadian. While I am not a mental math genius, each time I considering buying something in USD, I convert it (in my head) to CAD so that I understand whether it is a good value for my dollar. Because CAD is the value of all aspects of my selling experience here, it keeps things simple. Once that USD-srouced item is valued at CAD, I continue as I always would for a CAD sourced item in terms of my selling price. 

If I understand correctly, you never change your C$ price once it is listed. Even when your item look overpriced. Am I correct? (Of course, I know that a seller can have "sales", but I mean generally speaking when there is no sale).

I am trying to understand how other sellers work in order to decide which option is the best for me, so I appreciate your input greatly. 😉

If only there was a shipping calculator for Canada Post on eBay.com, that would solve my problem. Unfortunately, I know it will never happen, unless all eBays merge into one single site.

Price against other sellers with similar offerings is not something I regularly concern myself with so 'overpriced' isn't a term that I would consider to be relative to my business model. But, yes, I set my sell-at price in CAD and stick to it, running markdowns when I want to accelerate sales to buyers. The items for markdown are picked with some thought. But, to answer your question succinctly, I don't regularly check the value of CAD against USD to see how it compares and then revise my selling price accordingly. My selling price is set. Markdowns run or don't. 

Message 786 of 1,448
latest reply

sorry, if this has been answered already, but does anyone know if we wait until the migration tool, if we will be charged for those relists?  

also, I have the selling manager pro on .com and so I subscribed to selling manager on .ca due to this update and don't like it, can't find the weekly hour on the left side, my sold view is the same as .com and I liked seeing the postal/zip codes so I could see on one page who was Canadian and who was international for tax purposes, there was a hyperlink to contact buyers instead of a drop down and the biggie- it showed notes from the buyer- I've had paypal emails that did not have the notes in them and on .com when I go into the sold view I only see them if I happen to go into the sales record- which I don't usually and when it archives which is too late because I've already mailed the item.   So I have to unsubscribe and resubscibe daily, this is beyond annoying.  If anyone can help me keep the selling manager but with these changes I would really appreciate it. thanks

Message 787 of 1,448
latest reply

I do price my listings according to items already listed and I am concerned if today's exchange is 1.3 and I price an item at that rate/price that  my item will be overpriced when the exchange goes down to 1.1 and suddenly I'm more expensive than all the others

already listed.  Since I have over 9000 listings (with variations) I don't have time to revise so I only find out if buyers point it out to me which rarely happens.  I'm STILL dealing with over 1000 listings with photo issues, and now I had over 1000 upc/brand/mpn issues- ebay started ending my listings so I'm finally down to 270 but it's very time consuming and all this cuts into my listing time.

Message 788 of 1,448
latest reply

@rainbow71113 wrote:

I do price my listings according to items already listed and I am concerned if today's exchange is 1.3 and I price an item at that rate/price that  my item will be overpriced when the exchange goes down to 1.1 and suddenly I'm more expensive than all the others

already listed.  Since I have over 9000 listings (with variations) I don't have time to revise so I only find out if buyers point it out to me which rarely happens.  I'm STILL dealing with over 1000 listings with photo issues, and now I had over 1000 upc/brand/mpn issues- ebay started ending my listings so I'm finally down to 270 but it's very time consuming and all this cuts into my listing time.

You may find Markdown manager to be valuable then to adjust your prices without having to formally revise them. As long as you have a store subscription (which you clearly do) Markdown Manager is available to you. Markdowns can last as long as 45 days. 

Message 789 of 1,448
latest reply

I do the occasional sale of 5% down, since ebay keeps old sold info on the listings I noticed that people will wait until there's a sale and since everything I sell is basically non essential-I try not to do it very often.  That would only be a temporary fix, the listings would still be higher priced once the sale is over, and that's IF there are others listed, I also don't have time to check that daily-something that is common today might be rare in a year. 

Message 790 of 1,448
latest reply

I am beginning to feel uneasy about the fact that Ebay gives us the option to continue to list in USD by moving over to Ebay.com. I am wondering that once we've done all the moving of our listings, that Ebay will "punish" us Canadians for listing in USD? No, they may not do it right away, but in 6 months or 1 year from now, they'll come down with another "decision reached by focus groups," which will be as devastating as this one.

Message 791 of 1,448
latest reply

Many Canadians have been listing on eBay.com for years - often in addition to listing on eBay.ca

Nothing new here except for the fact that listing on eBay.ca will now be limited to Cdn$ currency - one currency per eBay site like the rest of the world.

Message 792 of 1,448
latest reply

@lisella64 wrote:

I am beginning to feel uneasy about the fact that Ebay gives us the option to continue to list in USD by moving over to Ebay.com. I am wondering that once we've done all the moving of our listings, that Ebay will "punish" us Canadians for listing in USD? No, they may not do it right away, but in 6 months or 1 year from now, they'll come down with another "decision reached by focus groups," which will be as devastating as this one.

eBay is currently offering eBay.ca Canada only promos as incentive to stay on eBay.ca and no eBay.com USA promos. I suppose this could be considered punishment for listing on eBay.com. I recall in the CAN$ topics that rodney or raphael said there would be more eBay.ca Canada only promos in the next few months.

So punishment for listing on eBay.com USA is already here!

I do hope that listing on eBay.ca Canada in Can $ will be 5-10-15% better sales for most sellers as stated by ebay Canada. If not, I hope it is at least the same. It had better not be worse.

Message 793 of 1,448
latest reply

"eBay is currently offering eBay.ca Canada only promos as incentive to stay on eBay.ca and no eBay.com USA promos."

Most promotions on eBay.ca and eBay.com in the last few years have been "by invitation" only.  On average I usually get invited every second promotions (50% of the time)

Recently, I received one invitation to list on eBay.ca (in Cdn$ only) and one invitation to list at fixed  price on eBay.com (US$ only)

Looking on the boards, it appears there were four promotions offered at the time (3 on .ca,  one on ,com).  I got 2 out of 4.

Not all Canadians received the invitation but I did, so did many other Canadian sellers.

While I see eBay.ca trying to promote listing in Cdn$ with their new policy of single currency for the site, it would not be fair to call "punishment" for not getting the promo on eBay.com when other Canadians did.

Message 794 of 1,448
latest reply

I have a new question... maybe Pierre can answer since he experienced it, but any advice will be helpful. Let's say I list my items both on .com and on .ca. What is the better currency to be billed in at the "end of the month"? Or in my case, the middle of the month. 😉 US or CAD?

Also, thanks for your help 'mjwl2006'! 😉

Message 795 of 1,448
latest reply

I can answer that, ladystark.

It's better to be billed for fees in CAD.

Message 796 of 1,448
latest reply

I use a billing currency in Cdn$ and I pay my monthly fees with a credit card earning rewards (AirMiles in my case).  I have always felt that using PayPal to pay eBay fees was a bad idea (too many risks of something going wrong).

If your billing currency is Cdn$:

1) for those transactions in US$, eBay converts its fees to Cdn$ using the daily conversion wholesale rate (no conversion fee added)

2) from a bookkeeping perspective, it is much easier at year end (and when preparing your tax return) to add up twelve charges from credit card statements without having to find the twelve amounts in PayPal and convert anything,

Sellers can only change "billing currency" once a year.  It is NOT an instantaneous process.  It takes several months to complete as the billing currency factor is attached to each listing and that cannot be changed until the listing is ended or sold.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/billing-currency.html

Read carefully.

Message 797 of 1,448
latest reply

Wow, I never knew there were so many currencies eBay accepts!

eBay currently accepts the following currencies.

• Canadian Dollar

• U.S. Dollar

• Euro

• Australian Dollar

• British Pound

• Japanese Yen

• Swiss Franc

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 798 of 1,448
latest reply

And if you end listings you lose the sales history for those items and also the boost in search.

I remember years ago changing my billing currency to USD.  I ended and relisted every single item.   When I thought I had them all done, I was still getting a small bill in CAD because I had missed a few.  It took awhile before I finally got them all billed in USD.

Around that time I also changed my user id on this account.  I still get a bill using my original id in CAD with a balance of $-19.95.  In other words, eBay sends me 2 bills, one in USD under my present id and a second in CAD under my original id--on the same account.

Message 799 of 1,448
latest reply

"one in USD under my present id and a second in CAD under my original id--on the same account"

Yes, that is the way the system works when changing the "Billing Currency"

" if you end listings you lose the sales history"

That is a price to pay if changing the Billing Currency is important to a seller.  On the other hand the sales history is still available to you for 90 days in the "unsold" listings.

Message 800 of 1,448
latest reply