Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

Re: Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Thanks for the reply,

Never had this explanation before.  If only the telephone Reps had more knowledge about the problems we have ~ for this very issue I've been given at least two other explanations.

Message 1021 of 1,448
latest reply

If you want confirmation there's mention of it on the most recent weekly board 'hour' with Raphael from ebay.ca There are also many many posts about it on various threads on the board.  Also, if you go to .com and click on one of your .ca listings, you will not see an add to cart option there.

I wish cs knew more too. They don't always give the right answer to questions from U.S. sellers so they rarely know what is going on when it is a Canada specific question. 

Message 1022 of 1,448
latest reply

I also find it interesting that ebay has a limit to the number of messages I can send each day!  This morning I sent off a message to another seller,  but when I tried to send another message to another seller I received a message  saying "you've exceeded the number of messages you can send each day.......|  Go figure that one out.

I thought maybe it was just another "gliche" so I just tried another and got the same message ~ is this ebay punishment for speaking my mind?

When did new change start?  Is it part of the upcoming change? Other opinions always welcome.

Message 1023 of 1,448
latest reply

"This morning I sent off a message to another seller, "

What link - specifically - did you use to send a message to a seller?

Message 1024 of 1,448
latest reply

"Contact Member" (through their feedback record)

Message 1025 of 1,448
latest reply

To contact sellers, it is best to use the "Ask a Question" link at the bottom of each listing (at left).

I am not aware of any limit if you use that link - specific to an item listed on eBay.

Questions and answers about this item

No questions or answers have been posted about this item.
Message 1026 of 1,448
latest reply

@my-june wrote:
The box measures 36cmX27cmX24cm and Actually weighs 3.112kilograms

In order to have the ebay calculator arrive at the Correct Rate for Expedited parcel, one must input the aforementioned measurements But the weight has to be increased to 6.7kilograms. Otherwise, the ebay calculator underestimates the postage.

Volumetric weight for a parcel that size would be:

Expedited parcel (Canada) would be 3.89kg

and for Expedited (outside Canada) it would be 5.24kg.

-..-

The only problem possibility I can think of is your ship from postal code -- do you have a postal code setup for the listing that matches your shipping location?

I still occasionally notice listings of mine that have my address from 2 moves ago. I use Sell-similar a lot, and don't usually check the ship location information. Fortunately me, the locations are in the same area of Canada, so my error has little effect on my shipping calculations.

-..-

I've never had a problem with the eBay underestimating shipping cost, but then I always buy my expedited shipping (for eBay sales) though paypal (the discounts beat what I can get directly from Canada Post with my Solutions for Small Business card).

-..-

Message 1027 of 1,448
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@my-june wrote:
The box measures 36cmX27cmX24cm and Actually weighs 3.112kilograms

In order to have the ebay calculator arrive at the Correct Rate for Expedited parcel, one must input the aforementioned measurements But the weight has to be increased to 6.7kilograms. Otherwise, the ebay calculator underestimates the postage.

Volumetric weight for a parcel that size would be:

Expedited parcel (Canada) would be 3.89kg

and for Expedited (outside Canada) it would be 5.24kg.

-..-

The only problem possibility I can think of is your ship from postal code -- do you have a postal code setup for the listing that matches your shipping location?

I still occasionally notice listings of mine that have my address from 2 moves ago. I use Sell-similar a lot, and don't usually check the ship location information. Fortunately me, the locations are in the same area of Canada, so my error has little effect on my shipping calculations.

-..-

I've never had a problem with the eBay underestimating shipping cost, but then I always buy my expedited shipping (for eBay sales) though PayPal (the discounts beat what I can get directly from Canada Post with my Solutions for Small Business card).

-..-

Volumetric Weight by my calculations

VW (Canada) = 36 X 27 X 24 / 6000 = 3.888 kg (matches your 3.89 kg)

VW (USA / Int'l) = 36 X 27 X 24 / 5000 = 4.6656 kg (does not match your 5.24 kg)

Typo on your part or am I doing something wrong?

I still don't understand the why or how of the OP using 6.7 kg. I firmly believe the calculator is right and there is an user error of some kind. What is the issue I do not know.

Message 1028 of 1,448
latest reply

VW (USA / Int'l) = 36 X 27 X 24 / 5000 = 4.6656 kg

That looks right to me.

Message 1029 of 1,448
latest reply

I would like to know why you are doing away with the US dollars (to me that is Ebay.com) when we have to answer all our questions to Ebay.com plus our help is through Ebay.com.

Message 1030 of 1,448
latest reply

I originally signed up with Ebay.com and still sign on with Ebay.com. If I get a US address and US bank account can I still continue to be Ebay.com?

Message 1031 of 1,448
latest reply

",....can I still continue to be Ebay.com?"

You can sell on any eBay site you want: eBay.com (US$), eBay.ca (Cdn$), eBay.uk (Sterling, etc...

Where you registered (eBay.com or eBay.ca) does not matter.

Registered sellers can sell on any eBay site (in the currency of that site) - they do not need a US address or US bank account to list on eBay.com.

Your current listing is on eBay.ca - in US$ - yet you only shop to Canada. Quite frankly it makes no sense to list for shipping within Canada only and list in US$.  Both you and the buyer end up paying extra conversion fees to PayPal.

Message 1032 of 1,448
latest reply

It is still interesting to see that it is a good idea for eBay to charge us in USD for the listing fees when listing on eBay.ca :

You will need to change this eBay in order to benefit from the strategy !

"Insertion fee of US $0.05 converted to C $0.07 at a rate of 1.31915 (as of 29-Mar-16)."

Message 1033 of 1,448
latest reply

The fees are always charged in the currency of the listings

When listing in Cdn$, the fees are charged in Cdn$ - always been that way.

When listing in US$, the fees are charged in US$ - always been that way.

When listing in Sterling (£), the fees are charged in Sterling (£) - always been that way

etc... etc...

If your "billing currency" is Cdn$ then the fees are converted from US$ (or other currencies) into Cdn$ using the daily wholesale conversion rate (eBay does not charge a conversion fee as PayPal does).

The above applies regardless of the site where you list (eBay.com, eBay.ca, eBay.uk, etc...).

Message 1034 of 1,448
latest reply

Thanks guys for your advice but your calculations are just complicating the situation and I do have it under control (in my own way)

As for my postal code, well I haven't moved in almost 20 years * I was at this pc when I first joined ebay in 2007 * The calculations you're presenting are not required to use the CPC website ~ it's actually very simple.

All that's required is the postal code (which is the same throughout the village I live in), the length/width/height of the package and the destination.

CPC then gives a list of options eg. within Canada: Regular Parcel rate/Expedited/Expresspost......and the list goes on.

It's very simple to hand the Postmaster my Venture One card and they present me with options which I have already chosen from my home computer so I basically already know what the cost will be.

My point was that the ebay calculator does not quote the same price as I get from the website and which is comfirmed by the Postmaster.

What I'm really interested in is a better explanation of the mandatory change from using USD on ebay.ca.  Yes, I've read and re-read the announcements pertaining to the new regulation but I'm still not convinced as to the real reason this is being done. 

Message 1035 of 1,448
latest reply

@my-june wrote:

Thanks guys for your advice but your calculations are just complicating the situation and I do have it under control (in my own way)

As for my postal code, well I haven't moved in almost 20 years * I was at this pc when I first joined ebay in 2007 * The calculations you're presenting are not required to use the CPC website ~ it's actually very simple.

All that's required is the postal code (which is the same throughout the village I live in), the length/width/height of the package and the destination.

CPC then gives a list of options eg. within Canada: Regular Parcel rate/Expedited/Expresspost......and the list goes on.

It's very simple to hand the Postmaster my Venture One card and they present me with options which I have already chosen from my home computer so I basically already know what the cost will be.

My point was that the ebay calculator does not quote the same price as I get from the website and which is comfirmed by the Postmaster.

What I'm really interested in is a better explanation of the mandatory change from using USD on ebay.ca.  Yes, I've read and re-read the announcements pertaining to the new regulation but I'm still not convinced as to the real reason this is being done. 

I and others posting about your issue know how to use the Canada Post web site and the Find A Rate page and what is displayed. We know about Venture One discounts and how it works.

We also know how the rates are calculated by eBay and by The Canada Post Find A Rate page. We know about Dimensional weight overrides which you will never see on the Canada Post Find A Rate page, you just see the rate used. I doubt your postmaster knows how the actual calculation is actually done. All they do is plug in the numbers on the computer.

The ebay shipping calculator is right 99.99% of the time. I suppose there could be the odd small error that could not be noticed. But a discrepancy like you claim is simply not possible. It is not me just saying that but at least 2-3 others who know how the Bay calculator works and how the Canada Post Find A Rate works.I also (and others here too) know how to go to the Canada Post Postal Guide manual and manually calculate the shipping cost based on dimensions and weight and fuel surcharges and sales tax.

What you are saying simply can't happen so often and so long (2+ years). Something is wrong in your measurements used, how you input them in the shipping calculator, some site option is overriding them, something not normally done.

Now you probably think I am an arrogant know it all who is trying to belittle you. No, not at all. I am very very curious why you have this issues and am genuinely wanting to figure it out and understand why. Not just me but others too because all (99%+) claims the the eBay shipping calculator is not correct is caused by seller error or misunderstanding.

If you would let me contact you by the forum private message, I will follow up with you on this off these forums. I am very curious what is happening and would appreciate you help in figuring this out. If it really turns out to be something wrong and very specific to your setup or use, then we can report it to eBay. We can leave this topic for the CAD USD discussion.

Message 1036 of 1,448
latest reply

@my-june wrote:

In one sense, it does not matter what the real reason is. eBay.ca Canada has made a study and apparently verified the study that Canadian Sellers listing in CAD on eBay.ca Canada will do better than listings in USD on the ebay.ca Canada site. The decision is made and it is highly unlikely it will be reversed.

What disturbs me about the study is there are few details on how the study was done. Just an overall summary of what categories increased heir sales and by how much. Not how many sellers were interviewed, if they sold in CAD or USD or whatever details I would like to see or what sales analysis was used.

eBay.ca Canada will save money with a single currency. The site will be simpler to update, updates will be faster to implement and so on are the benefits given as well as increased sales by Canada sellers in CAD.

Since it is a done deal, all a seller can do is figure out what to list on eBay.ca in CAD and if wanted, what to list on eBay.com in USD. To learn how to do this in the best way possible to keep sales.

Personally I do not think listing in CAD will work for a significant number of Canadian sellers. They will need to go to eBay.com and list in USD. Keep the items that need calculated shipping on eBay.ca and move the items that do not need calculated shipping to eBay.com.

Message 1037 of 1,448
latest reply

Good explanation ~ that's what I wanted to know

Today I took a few hours to re-list almost 100 of my items and switch over to CAD so that I can make a decision by the deadline.

I tried this some months ago with no good result but thought I'd give it one more try before I make my decision.

If it doesn't work for me this time I'll migrate to .com ~ hopefully it will be as easy to use as .ca 

Message 1038 of 1,448
latest reply

You're welcome to contact me as I'm always willing to take advice and/or communicate

I'm fairly new to these chats but I'll find your message eventually

Message 1039 of 1,448
latest reply

What ever is by phone or by email, Ebay Rep are ignorant.
Message 1040 of 1,448
latest reply