Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

Re: Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

@futuretech_liquidations wrote:

What improvements are you talking about - for over 10yrs now the CanadaPOST shipping calculator has not worked properly when it comes to any listing that has multiple quantities. It currently calculates the shipping costs based on the weight and dimension you enter for the one item thereby costing the seller to lose money if a buyer buys more that one.

There are some different promotion programs that U.S. sellers can access but we can't. Apparently with one currency they will be able to set them up here.

The CP calculator does change based on weight but assumes that the package will be the same dimensions. There is no way for the calculator to know what  packaging you would be using if there are 2 instead of 1 items and I doubt that there is any way for it to be set up that way. The USPS calculator works in a similar way.

So if I read it correctly, if a Canadian Sellers lists on the USA site the CanadaPOST shipping option will not be available (selectable) option. ?

I take it we can still use the UPS option for USA destined shipment originating in Canada?

There will be no calculated shipping for packages originating in Canada and no Canada Post options.

There are UPS options but you can't use the calculator and the times would be based on delivery within or from the U.S.

Also, it would be nice to REMOVE the USA shipping section from the DOMESTIC shipping area and put it into the INTERNATIONAL section - like this a seller can have one set of rules for Canada based shipping and another set of rules for INTERNATIONAL shipments.

Specifically, the way the shipping section is setup in the SYI form currently bundles CANADA & US shipments under DOMESTICS shipments so the values you enter apply to both CANADA & USA. It would be better to have CANADA on its own and USA on its own - so you can set different values.

I'm not sure what you mean. On .ca, Canada is the only country in the domestic section.  Shipping methods to the U.S. are only in the international section. 

Message 1061 of 1,448
latest reply

One would think and rightfully so, that everything required to make this transformation from USD to CAD on .ca would be correctly functioning with NO glitches such as the one ebay is experiencing with the "Early version of Migration Tool".  I don't understand why they'd not remedy the defects before implementing a new system.

Message 1062 of 1,448
latest reply

I will have to wait as the present version does nothing for me at all 😞

Message 1063 of 1,448
latest reply

@99sportscards wrote:

Does this mean that Paypal Shipping With Canada Post will not be available to sellers who list on Ebay.com in USD?

You can still buy Canada Post shipping through PayPal for items sold on eBay.com

What you can not have is Canada Post showing as an option on your eBay.com listing -- you have to pick a generic shipping term and use flat rate shipping.

-..-

eBay.com domestic (ie shipping to the USA and territories)
All flat rate, no calculated, with expected delivery time.

Economy Shipping from outside US (11 to 23 business days)
Standard Shipping from outside US (6 to 10 business days)
Expedited Shipping from outside US (1 to 4 business days)
Flat rate Freight

---

eBay.com to outside the USA, to the rest of the world (including Canada)
All flat rate, no calculated, countries are selectable.

Economy Int'l Shipping
Standard Int'l Shipping
Expedited Int'l Shipping

-..-

Message 1064 of 1,448
latest reply

@futuretech_liquidations wrote:

Specifically, the way the shipping section is setup in the SYI form currently bundles CANADA & US shipments under DOMESTICS shipments so the values you enter apply to both CANADA & USA. It would be better to have CANADA on its own and USA on its own - so you can set different values.

Where do you see that?

On eBay.CA domestic shipping rates are for Canada addresses.

On eBay.COM domestic shipping rates are for the USA and territories (like Puerto Rico)

Message 1065 of 1,448
latest reply

I decided to close a bit earlier than the July mark with all this fiasco going on and my off-eBay channel ready, be careful apparently they now charge an extra month when you cancel instead of before when they would actually refund you the remaining days of the month you already paid. Don't remember getting a notice about that. So heads up to those planning on closing when this kicks in, do it a month earlier.

Message 1066 of 1,448
latest reply

@fabulous-marty wrote:

I decided to close a bit earlier than the July mark with all this fiasco going on and my off-eBay channel ready, be careful apparently they now charge an extra month when you cancel instead of before when they would actually refund you the remaining days of the month you already paid. Don't remember getting a notice about that. So heads up to those planning on closing when this kicks in, do it a month earlier.

If you had a yearly contract for your store, yes, you will have a penalty charge for cancelling. The only exception is during the period where the new fees are being implemented.

Message 1067 of 1,448
latest reply

@xavierg66 wrote:

I will have to wait as the present version does nothing for me at all 😞

It's normal. As previously said over and over by other members, it is just a version to show you how it works. It is NOT ready to use yet. It was supposed to work tomorrow (May 2nd), but it has been postponed to May 12.

Message 1068 of 1,448
latest reply

No contract, month to month, that extra month they charge upon cancellation is new.

Pretty sure it's written somewhere deep down in a TOS, but still, that's a new policy and I wasn't aware of it ... so like I said, head's up to those who were closing their store on the dawn of this CAD only listings for NA sellers in Canada ... close a month early.

Message 1069 of 1,448
latest reply

@fabulous-marty wrote:

When did you close the store? On April 30? It might be not enough notice so you get billed for the current invoice and get the credit back on the next month.

Message 1070 of 1,448
latest reply

Nope, closed this morning as I intended to fade out the GTC listings over the month of May, and I'm billed on the 15th so ... I would normally have got a refund for the 2 first weeks of May but the message was pretty clear that the store would close only in 30 days, they even sent a confirmation email with the date and notice and it's an old canned email they freshen up because they mention that my store settings will be saved for 30 days and if I change my mind It's easy to "reopen my store" (with a link) ... Yeah well I hope so that you will save my store settings for 30 days SINCE YOU KEEP IT RUNNING AND CHARGE ME. 

Oh well ... 

Message 1071 of 1,448
latest reply

It sure looks like sellers were not actually consulted when this decision was made. Also in reading the reasons why this decision was made, no real benefits to sellers were actually articulated- just a general 'this will result in benefits fr sellers). I'd like to actually hear about one clear benefit. It seems to me, whether this is the intention or not, that this will begin the phasing out of Ebay.ca. Obviously there will be fewer listings on the Canadian site (if you read thru the comments in this thread), Fewer listings means Canadian buyers will in all likelihood turn more to Ebay.com as well, further crippling Ebay.ca and makiing it less favorable to list items there. I know its a done deal, but I'll cut my listings by 500 a month, my normal amount listed on Ebay.ca. Not a huge percentage of sales anyway.

Message 1072 of 1,448
latest reply

Well since the good till cancelled listings in USD extend into august... I'm re-doing all my current 30 days to GTCs so as to have a couple more months of US dollar sales. I've also gone to free domestic shipping on all listings now so... SCREW you ebay ever getting FVFs on shipping from my sales again...

Message 1073 of 1,448
latest reply

@deeeight wrote:

Well since the good till cancelled listings in USD extend into august... I'm re-doing all my current 30 days to GTCs so as to have a couple more months of US dollar sales. I've also gone to free domestic shipping on all listings now so... SCREW you ebay ever getting FVFs on shipping from my sales again...

Better check your eBay billing carefully..................

They have charged us 10% of the US shipping amount a couple of times in the last week

instead of 10% of the "less expensive domestic shipping" as per the User agreement.

Message 1074 of 1,448
latest reply

@gwrocen wrote:

@deeeight wrote:

Better check your eBay billing carefully..................

They have charged us 10% of the US shipping amount a couple of times in the last week

instead of 10% of the "less expensive domestic shipping" as per the User agreement.

Some definitions (in theory, the way eBay is supposed to use them):

"domestic shipping" on eBay.CA is your Canadian shipping rate. And "less expensive" on .CA only applies to shipping to outside Canada.

"domestic shipping" on eBay.COM is your USA shipping rate. And "less expensive" on .COM only applies to shipping to outside the USA.

-..-

Maybe it's only me, but I find fewer problems (when I have multiple shipping choices in a listing) to make sure the cheapest shipping choice is the first one listed.

-..-

Message 1075 of 1,448
latest reply

That's another reason they want folks on .com not .ca for USD listings... they don't have to lose FVF on the obviously higher shipping rates (as they expect people to go flat rate shipping for the USA if they're currently calculated in Canada).

Message 1076 of 1,448
latest reply

Greetings.  I'm sorry, but I am not only confused as to WHY you are doing this (even after reading your 'reasons') and imposing only Cdn $ listings on eBay.ca, but I am quite upset about it.  Focus groups told you it was a great idea?  Really?  I've attended many focus groups over the years, and take my word for it, many people at them don't give a **bleep** about giving good, strategic, important feedback and info.  They are there for the quick cash.  No lie.  I think this is a big mistake frankly, and you are doing this based on very flawed info/research, at the end of the day.  Law of unintended consequences may come into play perhaps.

Why did you not send out a survey to active Canadian sellers like myself to respond to before making this major change, which will be very problematic in many ways, to many of us?  Wouldn't have cost you much to do that?  After all, we are the ones paying the fees, right?  On either site, and Paypal too.  And then move forward with that information, included/taken into account at least?  Most motivated and caring sellers like myself would have responded no doubt.  Might have given you a better overall view of it, as I'm sure we are all very 'different' in a myriad of ways.

I do my best to find rare, OOAK vintages, antiques and old toy items to bring to your customers & shoppers.  I'm not a massive seller, but I try hard.  I RARELY sell anything to Canadians, sadly.  We are used to exchanging rates etc, but the US $ is the 'standard' frankly.  And sadly, many Americans are not 'well versed' in doing the same.  No matter WHAT the listing says.  Many UK/EU buyers only want to buy in US funds.

First I answered the questions on your site re the subject, a 'flow chart' type thing and it said I should sell on US site.  Then I called and spoke to someone a week or so ago.  He advised me not to worry about it.  In 'my case' I would still be able to list items on eBay.ca in US $.  I said are you sure?  He said absolutely, don't worry!  Just keep doing what you're doing.  So is this correct, or not?  I am very confused.

Lastly, I have tried to find info about HOW to sell on eBay.com.  To no avail.  It was all as clear as MUD.  Do I have to create a different account?  Will I have my info/100% fb rating 'carried over' somehow to .com?  Please let me know exactly what the procedure is for creating new listings on US site.  Thank you.

And I really hope cooler heads will prevail, you will be open to listening to your vendors/customers/us, and this seemingly horrific idea will be given a big RE-THINK!  Or at least give us the OPTION to choose which currency we want to list in.  How difficult can it be to do that?  'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' old axiom comes to mind!

Regards,

Alison

Message 1077 of 1,448
latest reply

So what happens on June 1st to any listings that have been missed which are still in USD? Or for that matter active listings which weren't changed to CAD? Not talking about GTC here which I understand are still valid until August.

Do those listings just go poof from the CA site? Or end and move into unsolds? 

Oh and how about extending the promo for listing in CAD to the original 4 days after the migration tool is available now you've pushed that back ?

Message 1078 of 1,448
latest reply

"Lastly, I have tried to find info about HOW to sell on eBay.com.  To no avail.  It was all as clear as MUD.  Do I have to create a different account?  Will I have my info/100% fb rating 'carried over' somehow to .com?  Please let me know exactly what the procedure is for creating new listings on US site.  Thank you."

Easy.

Log on eBay.com

enter the information the same way you would on eBay.ca

The same account can be used to list on ALL eBay sites: eBay.ca, eBay.com, eBay.uk, eBay.de, etc....

You use the same PayPal account.

Feedback is attached to your account.  It does not matter what site you list or sell on.

The major challenge is with items requiring "calculating shipping".  It is NOT available to you on eBay.com if you ship from Canada using Canada Post.  You need to used fixed shipping charge or "free shipping".

The one thing to keep in mind when listing on eBay.com is that USA is "domestic".  Canada is an international option.

Good Luck.

Message 1079 of 1,448
latest reply

I have listed items a few days ago on Ebay.ca in Cad currency to prevent the upcoming conversion and got 0 visitors whereas when I use to sell in US , I would get lots of traffic and sell my items quickly.  This is another very bad decision from Ebay and which is opening up the door to alternate Selling sites for me.  

Message 1080 of 1,448
latest reply