Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

Re: Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Merci beaucoup Pierre 🙂   I appreciate you taking the time to help me with it.  Very kind of you to clarify it all!

I guess I will just list on .com then, starting soon.  The shipping calculations sounds like a real pain though, ugh. Will figure it out as I go along I guess, lol.

It really is mind-boggling to me WHY they are doing this.  Seems VERY unpopular with many sellers, no?  Their 'explanations' certainly fall well short as far as I'm concerned anyhow.  Vague and fuzzy.  Otherwise, I just can't understand how it can be so difficult for them to support dual currencies on .ca?  As they've been doing for years?!?  Geesh.

I thank you once again for your assistance, and best of luck to you too Pierre!

Warm regards,

Alison 🙂

Message 1081 of 1,448
latest reply

LOL, beats me!!! Whole thing is a fiasco as far as I'm concerned. Very poorly 'thought out plan' overall?  Seems they're already pushing back start dates, etc etc.  Ugh.

Hopefully someone from eBay will answer your/our questions 🙂

Best of luck with it all!   Alison

Message 1082 of 1,448
latest reply

@great_junque_finds wrote:

So what happens on June 1st to any listings that have been missed which are still in USD? Or for that matter active listings which weren't changed to CAD? Not talking about GTC here which I understand are still valid until August.

Do those listings just go poof from the CA site? Or end and move into unsolds? 

Oh and how about extending the promo for listing in CAD to the original 4 days after the migration tool is available now you've pushed that back ?

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/list-in-cad/how-are-my-listings-affected.html#faq=faq-2

Active US Dollar (USD) listings on eBay.ca

Auction-style and fixed price listings created before June 1, 2016 will not be affected while they are live. Once these listings end, you’ll need to change the listing currency to CAD or move the listings to eBay.com to relist.

That info is from the original announcement but since the date has been pushed back, I imagine that  June 14 should be substituted for the date above.

Message 1083 of 1,448
latest reply

bazlu
Community Member

I sell almost 99% to USA. Canadians are poor and stingy and they buy mostly from China . If I can't list in USD, May be closed the shop and go etsy and craiglist or ioffer.com. Everything in Canada to business is disaster like shipping highest in this planet and in other universe too. Is there is way that I can list in ebay.com  with USD as many people in other countries do and ship from Canada. I buy everything for my small hobby business from USA mostly and make myself and sell to US customers, The main reason I don't list  in Canadian dollar, because it changes all the time and like the picture added of Fort Mcmurray burning. all Canadian ebay authorities will fail the ebay I think. any Canadian suggestion now a day is disaster obviously 

Message 1084 of 1,448
latest reply

This fiasco is entertaining to watch...Ebay is even getting bold to claim statistical information that can't possibly be true. Like Canadian sellers will do even better with American buyers when listing in CAD. Who thinks up this idiotic garbage? Even a webinar setup here http://ebay.yourbrandlive.com/c/migration-tool-walkthrough-training intended to provide training on the conversion tool has become a dumping ground for complaints. Frankly I hope that Ebay Canada folds over this so I only have one site with a single set of listing interfaces and tools to deal with.

Message 1085 of 1,448
latest reply

I don't get this...for years you folks have been telling us that our listings will attract more buyers if we listed in U.S. dollars....so what has changed?

Also when I list in U.S. dollars, I get way more money for my sales because of the exchange rate...almost $30% more when it is converted to Canadian funds...

I am not sure that I will continue with Ebay...

Message 1086 of 1,448
latest reply

@cumbrae47 wrote:

I don't get this...for years you folks have been telling us that our listings will attract more buyers if we listed in U.S. dollars....so what has changed?

Also when I list in U.S. dollars, I get way more money for my sales because of the exchange rate...almost $30% more when it is converted to Canadian funds...

I am not sure that I will continue with Ebay...

eBay Canada did a new study last year expecting to confirm listing in USD was still better than listing in CAD but found the opposite was now true. They repeated the study and got the same results. Read the info they wrote on the study here.

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/03/22/7752/

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/03/22/7748/

If you list on eBay.ca in CAD, then you will need to raise your price 30% to have the same amount in CAD compared to your current price in USD to make the same amount. Or move you listings to eBay.com and list in USD.

Message 1087 of 1,448
latest reply

CAD better than USD?....I challenge that based on my own sales and deal with both currencies as do many others that post here. Where is there a link to the actual data used for this claim? What was the sample? Who was the target? What were the target products? What was the average sale price? Claiming a statistic without backing it up with some fact is just marketing rhetoric in a an attempt to brainwash...

Message 1088 of 1,448
latest reply

@thecoinhunterca wrote:

CAD better than USD?....I challenge that based on my own sales and deal with both currencies as do many others that post here. Where is there a link to the actual data used for this claim? What was the sample? Who was the target? What were the target products? What was the average sale price? Claiming a statistic without backing it up with some fact is just marketing rhetoric in a an attempt to brainwash...

The original study done years ago (early 2000's) claiming that a seller had a 15% better chance when listing in USD than listing in Cad was accepted from ebay by you without actual data, without info on the sample and so on as you mentioned with the current study.

The current study as described in the links I gave was checked by eBay Canada. I also agree it would be nice to have more specific details how it was done. But eBay canada has decided that the results are true, sales are better overall for Canadian sellers to list in CAD. The site will supposedly benefit by removing USD option by making it a simpler site to maintain and lower operating costs. Is the study real and not biased. I do not know.

Do I personally believe that listing in CAD will improve sales. No. Not for some sellers and perhaps many sellers. But the decision is done. Only in a year after the change and sales results come in can this change be known. Hopefully it is not wrong and most Canadian sellers survive this change.

A Canadian seller can list on eBay.com USA in USD. Some work involved but eBay has promised a migration tool to help move listing from ebay.ca to eBay.com (coming soon).

Selling on eBay.com must use Flat Rate shipping costs and generic eBay shipping options. Not difficult to do. But it works best for 2 cm thick items using Light Packet. When you get to parcels, Canad becomes an issue because the shipping cost vary too much to use flat rate. But if Canada is so small a part of sales, then set a higher flat rate cost and refund buyers (if they buy) or block Canada and lose the small amount of sales.

Do not misunderstand my replies. I am just trying to help sellers get through this issue as other sellers have tried to explain and help. I am not a supporter of the CAD change. I hate any ebay change and the work it causes and potential loss of sales. 7+ years of eBay change has worn on me to the point where I have 16 old listings running with few new ones. I had 50 to 100 listings monthly when I started selling years ago. Gone are the older days where it was easy to list and sales were seemingly plentiful and items even sold at auction with multiple bids.

Message 1089 of 1,448
latest reply

"claiming that a seller had a 15% better chance when listing in USD than listing in Cad"

That may have been correct at the time.

Now, let's go back to 2002.

eBay was an auction site mostly with the vast majority of listings offered with the "auction format"

At the time. depending on categories, a seller could expect a "sell through" rate of 20% to 50% (not as good as the 70%+ we experienced back in  1998-1999)

Basically, assuming an exceptional 50% sell through rate, if you offered 100 auctions in US$ you could expect at least one bid on 50 listings and a bid on only 43 listings if listing in Cdn$.

That was then, this is now where the vast majority of listings are offered at fixed price, not auction.

Twelve years later, in 2015, eBay-Canada analyzed current data and came to a different conclusion as explained in their announcement (there is no point in repeating the same stuff here).

You either accept their conclusion or you do not.

The choice is yours.

What is certain - whether we like it or not -  is that eBay-Canada will soon become a single currency site (Cdn$) like all other eBay sites around the world.  They all manage to do very well listing in domestic currencies. There is no basis in believing Canadians cannot do as well as all other international sellers.  We are just as good as they are, are we not?

Message 1090 of 1,448
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"claiming that a seller had a 15% better chance when listing in USD than listing in Cad"

That may have been correct at the time.

Now, let's go back to 2002.

eBay was an auction site mostly with the vast majority of listings offered with the "auction format"

At the time. depending on categories, a seller could expect a "sell through" rate of 20% to 50% (not as good as the 70%+ we experienced back in  1998-1999)

Basically, assuming an exceptional 50% sell through rate, if you offered 100 auctions in US$ you could expect at least one bid on 50 listings and a bid on only 43 listings if listing in Cdn$.

That was then, this is now where the vast majority of listings are offered at fixed price, not auction.

Twelve years later, in 2015, eBay-Canada analyzed current data and came to a different conclusion as explained in their announcement (there is no point in repeating the same stuff here).

You either accept their conclusion or you do not.

The choice is yours.

What is certain - whether we like it or not -  is that eBay-Canada will soon become a single currency site (Cdn$) like all other eBay sites around the world.  They all manage to do very well listing in domestic currencies. There is no basis in believing Canadians cannot do as well as all other international sellers.  We are just as good as they are, are we not?

A good well thought out post. I agree with most but I am hesitant to accept the current eBay study as being true. Only time will tell when the change is done and a before and after study is done. I know eBay will make a study after and will post results if it is agrees with the current study. Maybe not if it shows the reverse. I do hope they post results.

One thing I will question in your post is the line above that I underlined. Since the other eBay sites never had another currency to list in, is stating that they do well in their own currencies a valid conclusion? Since many eBay Europe sites list in a common currency Euros (January 1, 1999), there are not many examples of a site in close proximity to other countries. Except the UK which lists in pounds. The Europe market with many countries and languages is different than the Canada USA market. The sites exist more for language and country specific business regulations and do not have the currency issue.

Message 1091 of 1,448
latest reply

The reality in Europe is that the euro (€) is their domestic currency.  There is nothing anyone can do about it.  When they list in euro and Americans or Canadians or Australians or British buy from them, PayPal charges the buyer's account in euro (€) and the buyers get charged in their own domestic currency while the sellers receive euro (€)..

The Australians (country with smaller population than Canada) seem to do OK using their domestic currency.  So do the British.

I do not see why Canadians should not. We are as smart and capable as all others.

The only problem is that many Canadians got used to list in US$ and now have to consider making change: either change the currency or change the site.  Nobody likes changes.  And that is the real problem.

A year from now things will have settled down.  Just like they did after eBay started charging FVF on the shipping charge about four years ago. Sellers adapted or left.  Looking at the big picture and considering that eBay's overall sales by sellers keep going up, few actually left.

What the actual data from their survey actually showed is irrelevant.  eBay-Canada made the decision on what they felt was best, whether we like it or not, whether we approve or not, whether we trust or not.  eBay wants sellers to sell more as that is how they generate their fees.

Message 1092 of 1,448
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@great_junque_finds wrote:

So what happens on June 1st to any listings that have been missed which are still in USD? Or for that matter active listings which weren't changed to CAD? Not talking about GTC here which I understand are still valid until August.

Do those listings just go poof from the CA site? Or end and move into unsolds? 

Oh and how about extending the promo for listing in CAD to the original 4 days after the migration tool is available now you've pushed that back ?

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/list-in-cad/how-are-my-listings-affected.html#faq=faq-2

Active US Dollar (USD) listings on eBay.ca

Auction-style and fixed price listings created before June 1, 2016 will not be affected while they are live. Once these listings end, you’ll need to change the listing currency to CAD or move the listings to eBay.com to relist.

That info is from the original announcement but since the date has been pushed back, I imagine that  June 14 should be substituted for the date above.

Thanks for the response. That's a relief.

Nice to see they have extended another 100k promo for CAD from 10/5 to 17/6

Message 1093 of 1,448
latest reply

I'm a US seller selling on the Canada site, and it's been a learning curve to figure out the shipping etc, but I'm going to stick with it and try my hand at listing in CAD.
Message 1094 of 1,448
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

The reality in Europe is that the euro (€) is their domestic currency.  There is nothing anyone can do about it.  When they list in euro and Americans or Canadians or Australians or British buy from them, PayPal charges the buyer's account in euro (€) and the buyers get charged in their own domestic currency while the sellers receive euro (€)..

The Australians (country with smaller population than Canada) seem to do OK using their domestic currency.  So do the British.

I do not see why Canadians should not. We are as smart and capable as all others.

The only problem is that many Canadians got used to list in US$ and now have to consider making change: either change the currency or change the site.  Nobody likes changes.  And that is the real problem.

A year from now things will have settled down.  Just like they did after eBay started charging FVF on the shipping charge about four years ago. Sellers adapted or left.  Looking at the big picture and considering that eBay's overall sales by sellers keep going up, few actually left.

What the actual data from their survey actually showed is irrelevant.  eBay-Canada made the decision on what they felt was best, whether we like it or not, whether we approve or not, whether we trust or not.  eBay wants sellers to sell more as that is how they generate their fees.

Your argument is irrelevant and sounds like more Ebay driven defence of bad decisions propaganda. Apples and Oranges. Canada is in a unique relationship with the US. Both in terms of trade and geography. It allows for cross border shopping, using cross border services along with many other variables. This decision makes it operationally more difficult to do business seamlessly. While now I can easily sell in both currencies as well as manage them, it will now become more difficult with more effort required on my part. I run a physical store and my online business. Time matters to me. Just as a side, It's perplexing to me that you chose to defend just about EVERY bad decision Ebay makes.  

Message 1095 of 1,448
latest reply

"I run a physical store"

Do you sell in US$ at your store?

Message 1096 of 1,448
latest reply

' It's perplexing to me that you chose to defend just about EVERY bad decision Ebay makes"

???

Please take a look at:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/May-the-4th-2016-Weekly-Session/m-p/336774#U336774

Message 1097 of 1,448
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"I run a physical store"

Do you sell in US$ at your store?

Great irrelevant  comment....My storefront would have a difficult time surviving without the online piece, even more so without a large US customer base. You and PJ are about the only two that support this idiotic move by Ebay Canada, not to mention the questionable  advice the two of you provide to many posters here. The overwhelming negative reaction should tell you that you're on the wrong side of the fence defending this issue.

Message 1098 of 1,448
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

' It's perplexing to me that you chose to defend just about EVERY bad decision Ebay makes"

???

Please take a look at:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/May-the-4th-2016-Weekly-Session/m-p/336774#U336774

just about EVERY

Message 1099 of 1,448
latest reply

"not to mention the questionable  advice the two of you provide to many posters here. "

At the end of the day every seller on eBay.ca has options:

1 - complain about the change making eBay.ca a single currency site like all other eBay sites and approve of all other posters complaining how the change will affect their eBay business

2 - accept the fact that the decision has been made and will not be changed regardless of comments made here by Canadian sellers.

Once Canadian sellers have accepted the fact the decision is here to stay, then it becomes a question of deciding the best way to proceed.  You will find many other sellers with substantial eBay and online experience offering many options.  Each seller is free to follow the advise offered or.... not.

Message 1100 of 1,448
latest reply