Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

Re: Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

@thecoinhunterca wrote:

Great irrelevant  comment....My storefront would have a difficult time surviving without the online piece, even more so without a large US customer base. You and PJ are about the only two that support this idiotic move by Ebay Canada, not to mention the questionable  advice the two of you provide to many posters here. The overwhelming negative reaction should tell you that you're on the wrong side of the fence defending this issue.

You're welcome to question any 'advice' that I've given as like everyone, I make mistakes too. As far as me supporting the change to Canadian dollars only on .ca.....I don't think that I've said that it was a good thing or a bad thing although I have said that I wish it would stay the way it is now.   I think that many people are making judgements without any real proof but I also realize that some sellers may be right and  that listing in $C is not best for them. As Pierre said, the change is going to happen regardless of what we say and I think that it is more useful to help people explore the options rather than just complain about it.

Message 1101 of 1,448
latest reply

Just for the heck of it I tried to move one listing over to Ebay.com and it worked! Mind you there were some adjustments I had to make, i.e. the size of the shipping parcel had to be readjusted to "inches" and I needed to activate the Flate rate and promotional rule. I guess the real test comes when the item gets sold in terms of how the shipping label gets printed out. Thankfully I only need to deal with 56 listings despite the fact that the number of listings in the migration tool gives me the number of 278 listings. I have no idea where those numbers come from. Another headache to deal with at a later time!

Message 1102 of 1,448
latest reply

" the size of the shipping parcel had to be readjusted to "inches""

When you list on eBay.com, using flat shipping rates, you do not need to enter measurements and weights.

Measurements and weights are used on eBay.ca when using the Canada Post shipping calculator.  Not needed when using "free shipping" or flat shipping rate.

Message 1103 of 1,448
latest reply

Thank you for this information. At least one headache off my "to do list"!

Message 1104 of 1,448
latest reply

After using the migration tool I got my listings onto Ebay.com. I then went back into my Ebay.ca to delete all the listings as per instruction from the migration tool and promptly all my listings disappeared on Ebay.com. By accident I discovered that I could restore my listings from my email messages.

This morning I decided to try out what happens when I delete one Ebay.ca listing. You guessed it, my listing on Ebay.com disappeared!! By the way, I made absolutely sure I was in .CA and not in .Com. My only conclusion is that there is a link which allows the listings on .com to be de-listed as I delete the listings on Ebay.ca (the ended listings showed up in the "unsold" area on .com). 

My recommendation to everybody: Don't delete your listings on Ebay.ca. The disappearance of the listings will only show once you get back into .com. So don't be deceived. Make a trial with one listing, get in and out of .com and check whether the listing is still there.

My question to Ebay:  Why is this happening and what can we do to break that link? I am getting frustrated and am wasting a lot of time on this.

Message 1105 of 1,448
latest reply

I think you may have misunderstood how to delete listings.

It really does not matter if you are logged in at eBay.ca or eBay.com.  When you instruct eBay to delete a listing, it will do so, regardless of the site where it is listed.

I also noticed listings you ended this morning - listed on eBay.com with USPS as shipping method.  I suspect that was in error.

Message 1106 of 1,448
latest reply

@lisella64 wrote:

After using the migration tool I got my listings onto Ebay.com. I then went back into my Ebay.ca to delete all the listings as per instruction from the migration tool and promptly all my listings disappeared on Ebay.com. By accident I discovered that I could restore my listings from my email messages.

This morning I decided to try out what happens when I delete one Ebay.ca listing. You guessed it, my listing on Ebay.com disappeared!! By the way, I made absolutely sure I was in .CA and not in .Com. My only conclusion is that there is a link which allows the listings on .com to be de-listed as I delete the listings on Ebay.ca (the ended listings showed up in the "unsold" area on .com). 

My recommendation to everybody: Don't delete your listings on Ebay.ca. The disappearance of the listings will only show once you get back into .com. So don't be deceived. Make a trial with one listing, get in and out of .com and check whether the listing is still there.

My question to Ebay:  Why is this happening and what can we do to break that link? I am getting frustrated and am wasting a lot of time on this.

Are you sure it will delete them? The problem with leaving them on both sites is that they are duplicates and a seller will get duplicate listings violations. You currently have one listing on both sites. You need to delete the one now to avoid violating duplicate listings policy.

Anyone converting listings may want to use this free duplicate listing tool made by shipscript to make sure they do not have duplicates.

http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/DuplicateListings.htm

Message 1107 of 1,448
latest reply

I am quiete upset by this proposed change. I have tried countless times to list items which are of international interest in Canadian Dollars and had little to no success selling. When I re-listed these same items in US$ the sales suddenly picked up substantially. Ever since Ebay was started Ebay always promoted to use US$ currency. Obviously, the US$ is better accepted worldwide than the Can$. WHY CHANGE SOMETHING THAT IS NOT BROKEN? It is beyond my comprehension. 

I have no problem listing my items in Ebay.com rather than ebay.ca but I was recently told by one of your representatives in order to now list on ebay.com I would have to have an address in the US. Since I do not have an address in the US I will not be able, as I understand it, to list on ebay.com.

You are creating a mountain of confusion and extra work for your Canadian sellers which I find extremely unfair, especially for all those long-time members.

I seriously ask you to reverse this decision which serves no one. 

G.E. Fedora

masterlambton

Message 1108 of 1,448
latest reply

" I was recently told by one of your representatives in order to now list on ebay.com I would have to have an address in the US. "

Whoever told you that is wrong.  100% wrong.

Canadians (like myself) have been listing on eBay.com for nearly twenty years.

"I seriously ask you to reverse this decision which serves no one. "

That will not happen.  The decision to make eBay-Canada a single currency site like ALL other eBay sites has been made and will not be reversed, regardless whether we like it or not.

Canadians are now treated like all other international users.  We have the option to list on the local site (eBay.ca) in domestic currency (Cdn$) or on the US site (eBay.com) in US$ or both (that is what I have been doing for fifteen years).

Message 1109 of 1,448
latest reply

Yes, I've made a trial run by deleting a listing on Ebay.ca. When I checked Ebay.com, the listing was gone!

I wanted to check on my Ebay.com listing for shipping, etc., and picked one listing to be revised. As soon as I clicked on "Revise", the computer switched over to Ebay.ca. I just don't understand what is going on. Why are .ca and .com still connected and what do I have to do to disconnect those two systems? 

By the way, the duplicate software program worked - thank you for that. It found 1 duplicate on Ebay.com. Now if Ebay.ca was still active as previously, I should show 51 duplicates on Ebay.com. But clearly this is not the case. So I come back to the same question: What do I have to do to disconnect Ebay.ca from Ebay.com? Who has the answers to this problem? I am certain I am not the only one dealing with this.

Message 1110 of 1,448
latest reply

My sole intention was to migrate my .ca listings over to .com. At this point I am thoroughly confused and frustrated. I've used the migration tool which worked and then followed through as instructed to delete the listings on .ca in order to avoid duplicate listings. Consequently all the listings disappeared. I've somehow managed to restore them from my email.

As you saw, now I need to make sure the shipping is correct. I tried to do this by revising the listing on .com, however as soon as I clicked on "Revise", I was thrown back to .ca. I just don't understand. 

I am not a computer geek, I am 73 years old and just have a basic understanding of computers. 

I am going to do one more try to revise the .com listing, disregard the .ca and see what'll happen. If it does not work, I'll scream bloody murder and then I'll eat a big piece of cake. So there.

Message 1111 of 1,448
latest reply

aqular8
Community Member

Hello

Just want to add my 2 cents as this in my opinion is a really bad idea . For one thing the bulk of my sales are to the U.S. Also the U.S. funds i earned were used in a large part to purchase items from u.s. sellers on ebay.com. I guess i wont be buying much from .com anymore. I set up pay pal to avoid currency conversions on credit card purchases from the u.s.                                                             Going further if i continue on the .com site what shipping options are available shipping from Canada with a non verified u.s. address?

Regards Larry

Message 1112 of 1,448
latest reply

Rodney, 

I am now replying to you after:

1. Waiting patiently for the listing migration tool to become available after accepting e-bay's decision to create a lot of work for me and other sellers on here. 

2. Trying the listing tool out last weekend.

3. Attending your webinar. 

I agree that in theory having access to all the transaction data should place you in a better position to understand the buyers than your sellers. However I and other sellers here find it very hard to believe that the data has been interpreted correctly. Our lack of confidence in E-bay's competence is borne out by the fact that you people have implemented this change:

1. Without having the working tool available to help sellers through this transition when the change was announced. 

2. The tool you did release doesn't work.

3. You completely ignored all the questions raised by us during the webinar and addressed issues that had little to do with the actual conversion tool itself. Consequently you wasted thousands of hours of other people's time. 

Put yourself in our shoes for a moment. Forget about how awesome you think E-bay and your team is for a minute and imagine that you have a business dependent on this platform. You've just spent 8 months listing inventory following all the rules and then you are faced with this. You accept it and try to work with it, but you find that the supposed tools don't work. How exactly are we supposed to feel? People, real people are losing sleep over this change. Not because they object to selling in USD, but because they are facing the potential loss of months of their hard work. For what? So the site can be a little better? 10% better? You know cost-benefit? I guess cost-benefit analysis is a no brainer when your costs are always zero. 

I was a partner at a public accounting firm in Toronto before I decided to start my full time business and I can tell you that if I mad a decision like this that affected one of my clients, or the firm and went about it this way, I would have been ejected from the firm PDQ. 

Message 1113 of 1,448
latest reply

cekbc
Community Member

We have used the listing migration tool and it is lacking in that information was lost  (measurements & weights & some listings are gone) When we try  to list on eBay.com it will only give us US shipping options. It looks like we will have to list in Canadian dollars on eBay.ca. We have done this in the past with very low sales which does not make it worth the effort. eBay should start thinking about the sellers who provide sales that they make money on. Discouraged in Canada.

Message 1114 of 1,448
latest reply

"measurements & weights"

That information is meaningless on eBay.com since you cannot use the Canada Post calculator.

When listing on eBay.com and shipping from Canada you can only use "free shipping" or "flat shipping".  Calculated shipping is not available so you do not need the weights and measurements.

Message 1115 of 1,448
latest reply

Raphael can you please comment.

It appears the Migration Tool is *static*. Meaning, the day a seller launches it to capture their non-compliant listings, it is a *snapshot* of that particular time frame.

Each subsequent time you bring it up, it is the EXACT same info. So planning to migrate later in the summer will prove to be dangerous because the listings the Tool show as ACTIVE, could actually have been sold in the meantime.

I have 4600+ listings. The tool already brings up 5215 (which includes ended/sold and doesn't differentiate) so I have to sift through those, and now, I'll have to double check before launching any draft to see if I may have SOLD it????

I plan on migrating in batches using the sort with keywords so I can *find* the original listings more easily to end them. But I can't do that till the tool is fixed. The spinny wheel going forever when you try to sort 5215 listings prevents me from doing so sooner rather than later since I do not have that kind of time to wait for it to bring up what I want to migrate.

Can the tool be *fixed* to NOT be static - to update the status for instance?

Message 1116 of 1,448
latest reply

"weights and measures"

The couple I did brought over the weight to the .com draft which I was very appreciative for, so it is easier to come up with a flat rate when you know what you are dealing with.

Message 1117 of 1,448
latest reply

c200sc
Community Member

Hello,

My problem is that according to "Migration tool" a lot of my active -and ended- listings look like that they have been moved to "drafrs" (on ebay.com) but they didnt!

Could you please let me know where are these listings and how can i get access to them in order to make the transfer?

Regards,

c200sc.

Message 1118 of 1,448
latest reply

Same here:

so I've decided to move my listings to .com

once I've pushed 130 drafts to .com using Listing Migration Tool, I logged in in my account under .com and stupidly deleted all the 130 drafts, because my computer froze on me so I've decided to re-start the whole process fresh tomorrow. 

How I can recreate them again, it gives me no option. please help.

Message 1119 of 1,448
latest reply

The point is that Andrea Stairs collect point for activity no one wants. It is one of the stupidest thing to do in the economy. What will happen is that Canadin selers will move to ebay.com

Message 1120 of 1,448
latest reply