Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

Re: Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

After changing ALL my Listings to C$ starting the 1st of May my Sales for May and so far in June are down by more than 1/2.  Is it a Coincidence or is it maybe US Buyers don't understand they will still pay in US$ based on the Exchange Rate?  Making Canadian Sellers who list on Ebay.ca list in C$ was a bad Idea.  I can list on Ebay.com in US$ but no access to discount mailing Cost or being able to print Postage because I can't access Canada Post on Ebay.com,  This change was not very well thought out for sure.  What was the problem with things the way they were?  Canadian Buyers are a drop in a Bucket compared to US Customers.  I understood US$ to be the Universal Currency on Ebay.  This is typical Ebay Management.  Lets boost Canadian Sales at the Expense of losing US Sales.

DUMB IDEA! CHANGE IT BACK BEFORE I LOSE ALL MY US CUSTOMERS. 

Message 1201 of 1,448
latest reply

I have moved all my listings to eBay.com

I have eBay store on .ca and selling manager pro on .ca

That means on .ca I have the ability to track my inventory. But since I moved everything to .com My inventory says I have no active listings.

How can I connect my eBay.com listings with inventory? Or is it not possible?

Do I have to cancel store and selling manager pro on eBay.ca and start over on Ebay.com??? 

This has been such a pain in the ! 

Message 1202 of 1,448
latest reply

I have regular selling manager in .ca and have my selling manager pro in .com...you just have to change your subscriptions, you only got one pro with no charge so make sure you end that one before changing it to the other side so you don't have 2 subscriptions and one subsequently charging you

Message 1203 of 1,448
latest reply

Secondary Question to my Post Yesterday. This move to make Ebay.ca list in C$ is a disaster. If I move to Ebay.com and list shipping Costs as flatrate can I still access Canada Post through Paypal and print Postage like I do now on Ebay.ca? I know I can't show calculated shipping Costs on Ebay.com but it will be a LOT more work again for Me if I can't access Canada Post on Paypal.  Once again I must express my disappointment in Ebays decision to force C$ as the Currency required on Ebay.ca. All You have done is screw up something that worked well in the past. 99% of my Sales are to US Customers. My Sales are down by 50% since the forced change to C$. I will be shifting to Ebay.com once I get an answer regarding printing Postage. 

Message 1204 of 1,448
latest reply

"can I still access Canada Post through Paypal and print Postage like I do now on Ebay.ca?"

Yes.

Message 1205 of 1,448
latest reply

Thanks!      You are correct as I sold an Item Today that I just moved over to Ebay.com in US$ and I can Print on the Canada Post Website on Paypal.. When I was selling in US$ on Ebay.ca  before this dumb idea of listing in C$ only I was doing great. Sales were up each Month with 95% + going to the US. Changed to all listings in C$ and Sales dropped like a Rock. Going over to Ebay.com now which is going to be another Pain in the *ss after just converting all my Listings to C$. I understand that all Ebay Sites are listing in the Currency of listing Country but Canada and USA are closely linked (remember Free Trade) and this change should not have been done.I bet that Americans buy more from Canadians  on Ebay than any other Site World Wide. Anyway I am going back to Ebay.com and hope I can recover my Sales.

Message 1206 of 1,448
latest reply

What a mess!!!! This is one class A Joke!!!! I used the conversion tool as I stayed on Ebay.ca and only half of my items converted to Canadian while the other half stayed in usd.......and get this...... yet another 150+ items were added without me knowing. What was it that was added you ask? The stupid ebay programmers added my sold items from the past 90 days to items being live!!!! yes thats right....my sold items from a day old to 90 days ago!!!! Before I knew this happened, 3 of those sold items were sold and I have to jump through hoops to tell the buyers who bought them that it was a mistake by Ebay because of this conversion fiasco...... and not one oft hem were happy and/or believed me. They thought I was making it up. The buyers are right too. Who's to blame? No help either....... nope........I'm small potatoes as I was told basically too bad and that I would have to do the fixing myself as allot of the non-converted listings were too old - like 16 months +old??. This wouldn't have happened if this godforsaken change and screw up of the highest order didnt happen!!!! I now have to relist and delete one by one now and have been doing so for the past 2 weeks. Plus I'm losing all my watchers from the deleted usd listings. Its already eating up my free time to list new items. Fun! Very Fun! Thanks a bunch Ebay.ca! Sales are down more than 50% with it tanking more everyday. I am very happy Man Sad....Lets Celebrate!

Message 1207 of 1,448
latest reply

not true, if you relist from the ended listing your watchers will see the item ended in their watch list with a hyperlink to the relisted item-it's a big box that says view relisted item....I just tried it to make sure and it works, of course your watchers have to click on that and then rewatch the new listing but then most watchers aren't really interested in buying anyway.  I would say only 50% of my sold items have a watcher on them and it may not be the person buying it.

NOW new problem folks!!! My mailman says Canada Post is in a position to be eligible to strike on JULY 2nd!!  So if we put stores on holiday we can't relist....if we keep them open, we can't ship....what is everyone thinking of doing?  We almost have to close the stores down near the end of June or any parcels mailed might get stuck.  

Message 1208 of 1,448
latest reply

" So if we put stores on holiday we can't relist..."

Of course you and all other sellers in that situation can relist.  Not a problem.

My store will soon go in vacation with all listings hidden so nobody can buy them.  In the meantime whenever a listing ends, I have the ability to relist, at that time or later.  GTC listings are automatically renewed for 30 days, whether the store is on vacation or not. 

The listings will not be seen until I remove the "on vacation" settings.

Message 1209 of 1,448
latest reply

Hello Pierre,

ahh, good to know, I've only put my store on vacation once years ago and I couldn't remember if you can do anything when it's "down"

can we also list new items?

Message 1210 of 1,448
latest reply

"can we also list new items?"

Yes.

In fact many Canadian sellers use a postal strike period to list new items since they do not have to spend their time invoicing, packing and mailing.

Use the time available for future sales.

Message 1211 of 1,448
latest reply

thanks for the info, I was going to just prep items in Sellersourcebook and then launch them after.  

So I've heard Trudeau isn't going to step in on this one, so that means they won't be declared an essential service and ordered back to work...interesting since he put a stop to the community mailboxes....

has anyone here used chitchatexpress to send out packages?

Message 1212 of 1,448
latest reply

"So I've heard Trudeau isn't going to step in on this one"

Every Prime Minister said the same thing two weeks before a strike date as they do not want to influence the result of negotiations.

Once the country is faced with a week or two of actual general strike (or lockout) government sees things a bit differently.

Message 1213 of 1,448
latest reply

let's hope, I just talked to Chitchatexpress and they said their Canada Post contact said that today is the last day they would suggest sending out any Canadian shipments

Message 1214 of 1,448
latest reply

I don't know where are those data that they selling came from. They said that when you listed on ebay.ca on Can dollar, there are more customer. I've guess their data came from Donald Trump! lol...

Message 1215 of 1,448
latest reply

My friend is postman for CPC and tells me the same thing yesterday.... CPC can go on LOCKOUT on July.02nd. not strike but lockout. That's means closing down operation. (or supervisor/manager operation but they are not sufficient to do so)
Message 1216 of 1,448
latest reply

The fact of $USD and $CAD

same item, same price (but today seems $CAD a bit lower) in $CAD and in $USD

check the Views, Followers, Sold and Quantity....

Message 1217 of 1,448
latest reply

back in 2011 they tried a rotating lockout and said it cost too much money and a few days later went to a full strike, so all the packages we sent out in those few days got stuck.

Message 1218 of 1,448
latest reply

Thanks so much for posting this info sleco. Much appreciated!
I have been trying to decide how to proceed with all of this/change, and I think you've just made up my mind for me!?
I put up 2 antique listings this week as a bit of a test to see what happens with Cdn $ lists. My USD listings have all just ended/sold over the last 2 days. (95% of my items go to the US market.)
Admittedly, I don't sell the same things that you do (and prolly smaller scale), however in July I will only list on .com now by the sounds of it. My gut has been telling me that forced Cdn $ lists would tank frankly. Their 'research' <cough cough> just seems so counter intuitive to all of my experience actually selling stuff, ugh. So I think you may have convinced me lol!
Thanks again for your post. And best of luck with your sales too.
Alison 🙂
Message 1219 of 1,448
latest reply

I've been selling in USD and also being billed in USD - at what point should I change over to CAD billing?

Message 1220 of 1,448
latest reply