Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

Re: Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

I'm now down to 500 listings ~ appx. half on .com and the rest on .ca ~ sold 1 of my "lots" yesterday and got an acceptable price.

I'm planning to re-list even more of my items on the .com side ~ I've "tested the waters" by moving a few items back and forth. Only the really cheap items are selling on .ca (except for the group I sold yesterday. ~ buyer got a good deal and I'm happy)

I plan to end up with much fewer things listed and I'm still deciding, but I think they'll all end up on .com in USD. Makes the record keeping a little harder with keeping up to the currency change but I expect to make more sales that way.

Still planning to just keep my membership as an 'open door' if I want to buy or sell ~ "hobby" style. Not at all enthused with selling on ebay any more ~ Used to be good.

Message 1381 of 1,448
latest reply

Just discovered something weird... need help/explanations on this one:

My item is spa topside control, new model in.k500 colored display.  (ebay item# 252483023843)

item is in $CAD, created on ebay.ca with the following calculated shipping services for USA:

Tracked packet USA &

Xpresspost USA

Due to the value of this item, small packet is not offered.

Dimension: 9"x7"x4" 1lb7oz

When I was checking shipping rate to USA 90210 for that item

I've got on ebay.ca

Tracked packet to 90210 = 23.08$

Xpresspost USA to 90210 = 41.30$

Then, (here the surprise....) when I check the shipping for that item

on ebay.com

I've got instantly the Xpresspost USA rate at 41.30$CAD

Tracked packet option is not displayed, not allowed...it is automatically & only set to Xpresspost, which BOOST & double up the price.

This can drastically make US buyers run off my items with 41.30$ of lonely most expensive shipping option available for my item...

Message 1382 of 1,448
latest reply

just check with lower value item, (351797984032)
with small packet & tracked packet set.

Same apply:
only small packet rate is display on ebay.com (the untrackable one)
both services small packet & tracked packet rates appeared are displayed on ebay.ca (18.81$/23.08$).

It seems that it is Tracked packet the problem....it can not be displayed on .com as a shipping option...
Message 1383 of 1,448
latest reply

Well I'm  stumped on that one.  I am seeing what you are on .com when I look at each listing.  With the first item though, when I look at it on the search page it shows the lower cost for shipping but that price disappears when I open the listing.

Also on the first item,  I only see tracked packet on .ca rather than both TP and Xpresspost.  Very odd.

You might want to post this on the sellers board to see if anyone there will have  any suggestions and/ or can see if they have the same problem in their listinggs.  I don't think that everyone looks at this board. 

Message 1384 of 1,448
latest reply

I've check with low value item at 27.99$ (351799861144) and TP is show !!!!

Is the "system" consider that Trackedpacket have not sufficient protection cover (as it is 100$ max) and hide automatically for and item that is priced over insurance protection?

If I take yesterday item ( 252483023843) which is 354.99$ value, tracked packet do NOT have sufficient protection with 100$, and the system on ebay.com, will hide it automaticaly and only show the shipping services that protect enough the item value. I'll investigate more on that way....
Message 1385 of 1,448
latest reply

I AM STUMPED, BLASTED & SHOCKED !

Ebay.com block ALL shipping options, and show "shipping can not be calculated for your location" (and probably the item from the search engine) if the item value do not meet the protection value of that specific shipping service.

That means that my few high value items, that are over 1000$CAD, (ex:  252719920772 at 1099.00$) specifically for the US market, can not be calculated with 

1-Expedited parcel USA, as the maximum insurance is 1000$

2- Xpresspost USA as the maximum is also 1000$

In that item exemple (252719920772), on ebay.ca both expedited & xpresspost appears to be ship to 90210 at a rates of 67.30$/102.52$

on ebay.com, the same item have no shipping services appearing, as the item value is 1099$ and both expedited & xpresspost services have maximum 1000$ limit, so the item is "not shippable to USA" due to lack of shipping protection.

That'smeans all my higher prices items, intended for European & Australian market are kick out of ebay because they are all over 1000$ and insurance protection is maximum 1000$

Same apply for ALL items that have more than 100$ value, with Tracked packet !

Another tsunamie on hundreds of my items!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT IS THAT %$&*?%$  

This could be the major cause of non-visibility, slow & poor sales for all of US

Message 1386 of 1,448
latest reply

Hi,

Not sure what's happening with you but I can tell you this:  I go directly into the Canada Post website to find shipping options and costs. Never any problem and when I actually take items to the post office the prices they give me are Always comparable, only a little bit less because of my Venture 1 card.

I don't try to find shipping costs through the ebay system.

Hope this helps!

Message 1387 of 1,448
latest reply

that's not the question.
If I put shipping option of Tracket packet on a item value of 200$ and tracked packet have only 100$ insurance protection, ebay.com will HIDE tracked packet shipping services because the protection do not reach the item value. So if it was your lonely service for USA shipping, the item appears on ebay.com, as "shipping can not be calculated".

In my exemple, all item that have more than 1000$ value, will be HIDE on ebay.com, because both expedited & xpresspost services, have 1000$ insurance protection maximum, and the item value is 99$...that's is putting the item "Can not be ship to your location".
Message 1388 of 1,448
latest reply

Ebay.com block ALL shipping options, and show "shipping can not be calculated for your location" (and probably the item from the search engine) if the item value do not meet the protection value of that specific shipping service.

Where do you see that information? 

It doesn't make sense because insurance is not required and insurance can be purchased through a third party. 

Message 1389 of 1,448
latest reply

In that item exemple (252719920772), on ebay.ca both expedited & xpresspost appears to be ship to 90210 at a rates of 67.30$/102.52$

on ebay.com, the same item have no shipping services appearing, as the item value is 1099$ and both expedited & xpresspost services have maximum 1000$ limit, so the item is "not shippable to USA" due to lack of shipping protection.

When I look at that item on .com I see other Expedited and Xpresspost to the US.

Message 1390 of 1,448
latest reply

Understood!

Message 1391 of 1,448
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

In that item example (252719920772), on ebay.ca both expedited & Xpresspost appears to be ship to 90210 at a rates of 67.30$/102.52$

on ebay.com, the same item have no shipping services appearing, as the item value is 1099$ and both expedited & Xpresspost services have maximum 1000$ limit, so the item is "not shippable to USA" due to lack of shipping protection.

When I look at that item on .com I see other Expedited and Xpresspost to the US.

I also see shipping options for Expedited Parcel USA and Xpresspost USA on eBay.com for this listing. No issues at all.

Message 1392 of 1,448
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Where do you see that information? 

It doesn't make sense because insurance is not required and insurance can be purchased through a third party. 

I also agree that the above makes no sense at all. Insurance has nothing to do with visibility of a listing on an eBay site.

Message 1393 of 1,448
latest reply

I've started to have problems with shipping on Ebay.com. It simply told me it cannot use the shipping services and to try some other time. Well it never seem to happen. It was my daughter who discovered that Canada Post now required the phone number of the person I am shipping to. So what I am doing now is simply add a 10 digit number and it works. Clearly PayPal does not require the phone numbers, so why does Canada Post? What is it to them whether the phone number for a client in Australia is there? It does not make sense. I also noticed that there seems to be a reluctance by the system to show "Light Packet" option. Shipping is expensive as it is, I don't want to pay anymore than I have to, so stop making everything so screwed up.

Message 1394 of 1,448
latest reply

it seems sporadic....as the item 252483023843 (354.99$) still show both TP & Xprespsost on .ca

still only showing Xpresspost on .com

see my screen capture....

I think it may happens when you are logg Off

I also agree that the above makes no sense at all. Insurance has nothing to do with visibility of a listing on an eBay site.

I agree that make no sens but if the item have "shipping can not be calculated" set due to that, this will affect visibility for sure!

I will investigate more on that tonight...

Message 1395 of 1,448
latest reply

another one:  252719920733

small packet & TP appears on .ca

Only small packet appears on .com

see my screen capture

Message 1396 of 1,448
latest reply

Another one over 1000$:   

on .ca I see
expedited at 96.85$
Xpresspost at 150.04$

on .com
NOTHING (as both services have 1000$ maximum coverage)

see screen capture....
Message 1397 of 1,448
latest reply

(ref:  351939193050)

It seems that nohing appears only when the search result is at "best match"

When putting the sort to :  price + shipping:  lowest first and I click on the item, the red error code "Shipping can not be calculated, please neter a valid ZIP code"  

see my screen capture.

Message 1398 of 1,448
latest reply

I feel badly for you (and all of us Canadians who used to sell the vast majority of things to the US in their $$) since the forced eBay changes to .ca last year.

To add my 2 cents... the way I read it all when I tried to understand it at the time, was that if you basically didn't switch to Canadian $ and only list on .ca then you were **bleep** out of luck trying to figure out ANY shipping options if you continued to list on .com in US bucks.  They said Can Post calculator etc would NOT be supported at ALL on .com.

So due to the variety of items that I sell, meaning different weights/sizes of any given 'thing' (not to mention combined shipping!) I decided to just say 'stuff it' and okay jerks, I'll only list on .ca now.  I don't know if that's helped/hurt me or not as that's very difficult to quantify in any way really, but at least I don't have to mess around with trying to figure out how to navigate the seemingly endless problems that you're having with all of that sleco listing on .com  😞

And with that being said please know that my sales have not decreased much at all generally to the US/UK etc.  Perhaps a tad, but  also very hard to say.  Or what kind of search engine placements I get etc etc.  The only thing is that I have more bidders/sales to Canada it seems.  For whatever reason, hmm.  Who knows!?!

I guess the only way for you to do a 'real time test' is to ONLY LIST on .ca for awhile.  Get rid of all the .coms in USD.  Then maybe you could compare apples to apples?  At least that way you would have your shipping calculated accurately on each item (hopefully?) and then go from there?

You may not want to do that, but as I said... once the writing was on the wall this time last year, I just decided to bow to their demands and only list on .ca, whether I wanted to or not/for better or worse 😞    Shipping calculator not being supported was the nail in the coffin for my US listings anyhow!

Best of luck either way and salute,  Alison 🙂

Message 1399 of 1,448
latest reply

ONE total item sold in the past 7 days. Thanks ebay. Before their change I was never less than 1 sale per day on average.
Message 1400 of 1,448
latest reply