Return shipping label international sale?

I'm in Canada and bought a dvd from a US seller that ended up being a bootleg. The seller has agreed to a full refund but says ebay will not let them send me a return shipping label because it's an international purchase and the seller wants to know if I would just send the DVD back myself and they'll reimburse me the shipping costs. I'm looking for some advice here. Is it true international sales can't create a return label and if I pay for the shipping myself is there any protection for me if the seller decides not to reimburse me? Should I even have to send the item back since it's clearly a bootleg (the bottom of the discs are black, not silver like every other dvd)?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@tyrant01151985 wrote:

I'm in Canada and bought a dvd from a US seller that ended up being a bootleg. The seller has agreed to a full refund but says ebay will not let them send me a return shipping label because it's an international purchase and the seller wants to know if I would just send the DVD back myself and they'll reimburse me the shipping costs. I'm looking for some advice here. Is it true international sales can't create a return label and if I pay for the shipping myself is there any protection for me if the seller decides not to reimburse me? Should I even have to send the item back since it's clearly a bootleg (the bottom of the discs are black, not silver like every other dvd)?

Unfortunately, eBay does not have an easy way to send a return shipping label when the item is crossing a border.

Find out how much it will cost to send back. Let the seller know, and they can send you the shipping cost before you mail back.

-..-

dvd bootlegs: just because the colour is different does not automatically make them a bootleg. Some small companies put legit releases out on DVD-R's.  Some of the bigger companies also do the same thing for some of their older, small demand titles.

-..-

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

is there any protection for me if the seller decides not to reimburse me?

No.

It's a trust thing.

Read the seller's feedback, including FB and Responses left for others.

If the return goes well, leave appropriate feedback, but as a protection for the seller don't mention the refund.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thanks for the advice everyone.

These are definitely bootlegs. It's the newest season of Doctor Who on blu ray, a major release and I've confirmed with others who own the set the discs are not black, plus the disc artwork is faded looking and there are other small signs as well that give it away.

@ypdc_dennis wrote:
dvd bootlegs: just because the colour is different does not automatically make them a bootleg. Some small companies put legit releases out on DVD-R's.  Some of the bigger companies also do the same thing for some of their older, small demand titles.

-..-

Message 4 of 4
latest reply