Returns - why seller has to pay shipping ?

Item # 371247750989

Until now there were returns which I simply accepted, now eBay gives me these 4 options:

Select a reply:
Accept the return
You pay for shipping and can send our return label or your own. Wait to get the item back before you refund the buyer.
Refund the buyer
You fully refund the buyer to close this request. The buyer keeps the item.
Offer a partial refund
You have one chance to offer an amount. The buyer keeps the item.
Send a message
You can reply to the buyer.

Buyer claims there is something wrong with the item (4-hole mold with 3 populated pins), but this is clearly shown in the product image, it is how product was made. Also it comes in pairs, and he complains he cannot mate it to other 3-pin connectors he has.

I would like to treat this as return but item terms are: "Buyer pays return shipping".  Did ebay change some rules again ?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

It's been like that for a while but it depends on what the buyer chooses as the reason for return. Your buyer must have chosen a reason that is considered a not as described complaint so ebay automatically tells the seller that they have to pay for return shipping with any nad complaint. Or..just refund without a return.

Supposedly a seller can fight it if they think that the item isn't a nad item but I don't know how often they are won. You basically have to phone customer service to fight it. Since you can send your buyer a message you might want to question them about it and perhaps you can get them to admit that the item was as described.That might help if you do fight it. But for that amount, you might just want to refund and take the defect.

The U.S. selling board seems to know a lot more about the new system so you might want to post there and see if they think you have a chance of winning.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

If you talk to customer service, ask them how to send a Canada Post shipping label to an American customer that can be used in the USA, where the postal service is USPS.

Good luck on finding a rep who understands the concept of 'Canada is not the USA'.

If you get an answer that is not bog-stupid, let us know. Enquiring minds and all that.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

You are right, it is too small. I was only surprised there was no "accept return" choice, only month ago was there.

I have previously received similar returns where buyer alleged there was something wrong with item, and so far the choice to accept return was always there. If there is something wrong, it should be NAD case.

But ... since I am already in defect, it will not get more defective if I do nothing, right ?

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Are you sure that the accept return situation was for a nad return, not a buyers remorse return? You don't get a defect for a buyers remorse return and don't pay return shipping.

They are all called returns requests. It's confusing.

But ... since I am already in defect, it will not get more defective if I do nothing, right ?

Do  nothing as in not refund nor accept a return? If the buyer asks ebay to step in (that terminology annoys me) then you could end up with an unresolved case which you might want to avoid.

If you are close to the maximum defect rate you still might want to phone ebay about this if the listing is clear. Not so much to avoid the refund but to avoid the defect.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply