Rolling blackouts...

I have seen the term "rolling blackouts" used frequently in posts on the U.S. board and on Auctionbytes.

Can anyone tell me exactly what that is? Is eBay making some of the listings invisible in search for periods of time and, if so, what is the purpose of doing so? I seem to remember reading somewhere that their servers couldn't handle the volume of listings when store items were placed in core search.

Any thoughts?
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Rolling blackouts...

It's a long running conspiracy theory, of course the whole idea is ludicrous at least to the extent that it's a conspiracy rather than just an unplanned and unwanted technical glitch (personally I'm not sure it's even that).

Essentially some people think that eBay purposely takes servers off-line making a portion of listings inaccessible.

The slightly more rational only go so far as to suggest that eBay's server farm is so rickety that servers go down on a regular basis. There's probably some truth to this but still most of the "evidence" doesn't pass the smell test.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Rolling blackouts...

Thanks for the clarification recped. I kind of wondered if it was another "conspiracy theory". Whenever I have searched for my listings during dry sale periods I have always been able to find them.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Rolling blackouts...

The "proof" such as it is, is less in gaps in sales as in runs of sales.

For example, having 5% International sales is normal for me. If in one week half my sales are International and most of those are from France, I wonder why my listings are suddenly being seen there. (Especially since my books are almost all in English.)

It's harder to notice if there is a lack of sales to NorthEasternUSA or to British Columbia, but those odd swathes of International sales are puzzling.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Rolling blackouts...

bilge21
Community Member
It's just something that happens. For example, I had several of a certai cartridge listed in my store. I would sell maybe 1 or 2 of that particular cartridge a week and then sell them all out in one night.

I might sell none of another cartidge and then all of a sudden start selling a bunch of them one week and the next few weeks I woud sell none of them.

This happens in my local off-Ebay sales as well so it's not just an Ebay thing.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Rolling blackouts...

The "proof" such as it is, is less in gaps in sales as in runs of sales.

There are so many possible reasons for this.....

Example; I used to think of Spain as a marginal territory for me, I made sales there but nothing special. About two years ago a Spanish buyer bought a bunch of things from me, shortly thereafter another and over the course of a few months I ended up with a half dozen regular multiple item buyers in Spain. It's now one of my top 3 foreign destinations but it's all due to word of mouth between a tiny group of like minded buyers. Nothing at all to do with eBay or site visibility or any vast conspiracy.

In my old days of retail I would often wonder why a particular record which had sat for months or years would all of a sudden start selling....query a few buyers and I get comments like "they've been playing it on CBC" or "there was review in Mojo magazine" or similar stories. The effects of these things are somewhat sort-lived but a new one pops up a few weeks later and leads one to wonder what prompts this sort of activity.

Here's a current example, Google have put PacMan on their homepage today for the 30th anniversary of the game. I'd bet that anybody selling anything related to PacMan will notice a sudden upsurge of interest over the next few weeks before it returns to "normal".

Another one, I have a particular record (reggae) which I've sold about 50 copies, 75% of those sales have gone to San Jose (the rest spread out around the world). I asked one of the buyers about it, they explained that for a very long time there has been a small but dedicated group of reggae freaks in San Jose and it all originated in the early 80's due to the influence of one or two local taste-makers. It's very predictable, I'll sell one copy and within a few weeks several more, it then goes dead for a few months before repeating itself.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Rolling blackouts...

You could be right recped although for me it isn't so much that a particular brand or item is suddenly selling but more that I suddenly have a block of 3 or 4 buyersall from Europe or from Australia, or even a specific state in the U.S.

I haven't seen much of this lately though. Ever since the change to stores in search,my overseas sales have really decreased.
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Rolling blackouts...

Hi! Ever since I've been on ebay, over 10 years now I have had the fluctuations you are currently talking about. I will sell lots of a particular item or country, then it goes dry for a while then it comes back again. I long ago gave up trying to figure out why!

I also am recently seeing bursts of sales from various countries all around the world, similar to what others have mentioned here. As with the above, no idea why. I know it isn't from my ad commerce stuff because generally it isn't generating much internationally, although I suspect my international buyers are finding me on .COM anyway.

One curious thing I've noted recently is that when something goes, very quickly others will go as well of similar items. I am wondering if it is linked to "watchers" who get notification or find out that one of the ones they are watching got sold and they figure they'd better get one of the remaining ones before they sell out. As with the fluctuations though who really knows, it's only a recent thing I've seen happening and could just be happenstance!

I've always said that if I ever figure out how buyer trends work on eBay I'll become independantly wealthy going on tour explaining it to others!
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Rolling blackouts...

.query a few buyers and I get comments like "they've been playing it on CBC" or "there was review in Mojo magazine" or similar stories.

Sounds reasonable.

And some of our best advertising/publicity for our B&M comes from CBC. Their listeners are our best demographic.
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Rolling blackouts...

It's a long running conspiracy theory, of course the whole idea is ludicrous at least to the extent that it's a conspiracy rather than just an unplanned and unwanted technical glitch (personally I'm not sure it's even that).

Essentially some people think that eBay purposely takes servers off-line making a portion of listings inaccessible.

The slightly more rational only go so far as to suggest that eBay's server farm is so rickety that servers go down on a regular basis. There's probably some truth to this but still most of the "evidence" doesn't pass the smell test.

Okay, so if there are no rolling blackouts then eBay is either experiencing a glitch tonight or the blackout theory has substance.

I was scheduling some listings and checking items in my store and a bunch of them popped up with this message:

Sorry, this page is not available at this time
Please refresh this page on your browser or try again later.

I tested all of the 20 listings I have for watches and could only see 8 of them. I began randomly checking items in my other categories and ran into the same thing with them. Then I logged into the board to see if anyone had reported this problem. Finding nothing, I began clicking on the listings of some of the other board members.

I found the same thing happening in your listings, recped, and also in Susan's. I kept track of a few that were not showing. When I rechecked a few minutes later it was the exact same listings that could not be seen each time. It wasn't a case of seeing it one time and not the next.

On the other hand, I click on my own listings all of the time and have never had this happen before so it could be a glitch. Whatever the problem, the listings I checked were all at the beginning and due to end soon....just when you want them to be seen the most.
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Rolling blackouts...

This could be the answer.

Link
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Rolling blackouts...

It was the regular Thursday night maintenance! I always forget about it but like clockwork there are always some posts about odd glitches on Thursday night/Friday morning.

It's still better than back in "old days" when the site shut down completely for 2 hours each week.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Rolling blackouts...

jakeeangel
Community Member
It was the regular Thursday night maintenance! I always forget about it but like clockwork there are always some posts about odd glitches on Thursday night/Friday morning.

It's still better than back in "old days" when the site shut down completely for 2 hours each week.

Yep! You got that right on both counts. Somebody always wants to know what's wrong with eBay on Thursday.

I remember the days of those long outages. Got caught in a few of those as both a buyer and a seller.
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Rolling blackouts...

I didn't even know they had scheduled maintenance on Thursday nights before and I am always on the computer 'til late. I have probably experienced some glitches on those nights but none like this one. I certainly never attributed any of them to maintenance.

I will keep it in mind, though, especially on Thursdays.;-)
Message 14 of 14
latest reply