Sale to a blocked country....We do not want this sale!

Item number: 301433079257

Have communicated with ebay rep on two occasions already with following results:

First phone call before buyer made payment rep stated "ask for a mutual cancellation from buyer. Denied by buyer.

Second phone call before buyer made payment.  Rep gives us a FVF on this item and tells us that buyer will be unable to process payment as long as we do not issue and invoice. So simply let the sale die in 60 days in order to avoid seller defect.

In both cases, very lengthy phone conversations(40-60mins) but all the reps agree that our listing was set-up properly and this sale was clearly a software mistake on ebay's part.

Today buyer PAID somehow, so we are guessing that ebay software issued an invoice on its own. But how did ebay calculate shipping to a country we do not ship to.

All of our listings have the same countries excluded from every single listing due to past problems with postal services in those countries.

Has anyone else ever encountered this issue before? Please bear in mind that we wish to cancel this unwanted sale WITHOUT ACQUIRING A SELLER DEFECT since this was not our fault whatsoever.

Ebay reps seem to be unable to simply cancel this bad sale.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I looked at the listing. Nowhere was it stated that you would not ship to certain countries. Your ships to shows worldwide. Perhaps that is why the invoice and payment went through. 

If you do not want to ship to certain countries, you can set any future listings but the number you provided does not show any restrictions. You can also set your buyer requirements to block bidders in countries you do not ship to.

**********************************************************************************

Non payers should get unpaid item strikes and be added to block bidders lists. Period.
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

All of our listings have the same countries excluded from every single listing due to past problems with postal services in those countries.

ALL your listings state worldwide without any exceptions (even Nigeria which is the country I used to check) and except for the Moorcroft bowl have a shipping charge showing.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

This thread was moved by the MOD to this section of forums.....WHY? We posted in answer centre because we wanted a solution not an uninformed discussion by members that barely read initial post before posting anything crossing their minds at that time of day.

NIGERIA! Why in the hell would we block a country where we have achieved multiple successful sales without any problems whatsoever......what block Nigeria because the rest of the herd does so.....sorry we stand on our own two feet.

Of course the software is showing shipping to countries we are blocking, THAT"S THE PROBLEM WE STATE IN OPENING POST.....Gee whiz.

All the ebay reps and supervisor we spoke to agree that our listings are set-up properly and are supposed to be blocking the countries we do not ship to but somehow the software is causing the problem which was clearly stated in OUR ORIGINAL POST if anyone bothers to actually read it before spewing out any responses whatsoever,

MOD stop moving our threads needlessly from one forum to another without any discretion or respect whatsoever. We posted under answer centre because we were hoping for an actual answer. You moved it which will provide no solution whatsoever beside getting a bunch of comments and opinions from people that barely take time to read before replying. We are not looking for a discussion since after spending nearly 6 hours on the phone with various ebay reps we have had PLENTY of discussions by now,  we are actually hoping for a solution.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

"the problem which was clearly stated in OUR ORIGINAL POST if anyone bothers to actually read it before spewing out any responses whatsoever,"

I did read the original post, read it again and took the time to check the listing.

What is the question?

That listing clearly did NOT block any country.

You state someone purchased and later paid from a country you have blocked.  What is the country?  How did you block it since there is no evidence on the listing that any country was blocked. And the same comment applies to other listings I checked.

You may notice that most regular posters here have substantial eBay selling experience and usually come to a quick understanding of the problem and offer solution. They offer their time freely and have earned the respect of the eBay community. In this specific instance i frankly do not know what the problem is as your posts contradict the information in the listing.

If you do not want to ship, refund the buyer.  If you get a default or negative feedback as a result, there is no point in blaming the buyer or eBay.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

What is there to NOT UNDERSTAND.

The country this buyer is from is on our blocked country list on all of our listings confirmed BY EBAY STAFF ITSELF ON MULTIPLE OCCASIONS AND MULTIPLE PHONE CALLS. OUR LISTINGS ARE S PERFECTLY SET-UP FOR OUR LIST OF BLOCKED COUNTRIES.

The software is allowing blocked countries to purchase our listings. HOW YOU STATE THAT THIS IS OUR MISTAKE IS BEYOND INTELLIGENT COMPREHENDING FRANKLY.

SOFTWARE ISSUE CONFIRMED BY EBAY STAFF. NOW WE NEED FVF CREDIT AND DEFECT REMOVED.

phew!!!!!!!!!!

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

anyone can look at your listings, see where you ship to, and see what countries are blocked.  Your listings are set to worldwide shipping, including having a shipping rate displayed.  If you had countries blocked, at some point information got dropped relisting or sell similar either from user error, or ebay dropped it between the old and new listing and you didn't notice.  Either way what you should be doing now is fixing your existing listings or this is going to happen again, as they are set to be available to anyone. 

Since the buyer already denied the cancellation request, there is nothing you can do to avoid the defect or get fees back  other then phone ebay's overseas call center and ask them to do it (good luck...).  There wouldn't seem to be any grounds for that to happen though  

If you do lisitings from sell similar/relist, all it takes is making an error once and subsequent listings will all carry over the error 

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

"What is there to NOT UNDERSTAND."

Your listing does not show any blocked country.  Your other listings also do not show blocked countries.

When I check other sellers, I do see "blocked countries". So it is not a system wide problem.

Once again, what was the country you "blocked" and did not want to ship to?

How did you block that country?

Have you checked the list of "blocked countries" in your shipping preferences?  What does the list look like?

It is too easy to always blame eBay's software. They often have problems.  However, that does not appear to be the case here.

Instead of using block letters in your messages, why not simply and calmly explain the situation.  Your posts have not done that.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

We are fully aware of the current status of our listings as far as blocked countries, hence the problem. Even after multiple verifications of all of our listings by ebay staff and they all agree that our blocked country list is active on all of them. The software is still showing shipping fees to those countries.

We do not wish to make our blocked county list public for business reasons. However we will point out the current country discussed: Indonesia.

We block countries using two ways. Under account preference and set-up block countries and then again we verify in every single listing prior to listing.

We have been afflicted with software problems here on ebay since November 2014 when we reported at that time that USA buyers were unable to use the buy it now option on our listings. At that time we determined that this problem was caused from using Internet Explorer and the bulk relisting tool provided by ebay. So we switched browsers to Firefox and stopped using the bulk relist tool and USA buyers flowed in again.

Now our selling account here on ebay is somewhat complicated as far as how this account is accessed. This account is logged in multiple times daily from multiple different user devices from smartphones, tablets, PC`s etc... and also from multiple different IP`s, some dynamic and some static. But all users are fully aware that they are not to edit any listing or any account option from their devices. All such actions are performed by a single device.

However all listing are done from this single device/PC which is Norton protected and has fully operational Malware detection software with active licenses.

Now if we go back to the listing originally mentioned and we try for testing purposes to click on ``sell similar item`` the page that comes up at that time shows the blocked countries and the check mark is there under the shipping option. But meanwhile listing still displays shipping prices for those destinations. Crazy!

This transaction has already cost us near 8 hours or wasted phone time so far and at this point we are very frustrated since this one defect may potentially haunt us in the future when it comes to our TRS standings for such a measly sale.

We were hoping for past experiences from experienced sellers that may have encountered similar situations and hoping to learn from them but instead we landed in the middle of an inquisition........typical of this particular forum anymore....

Note to the MOD which moved our thread: This thread is the exact reason why we avoided posting in this forum. This forum does not offer help anymore but rather has become an arena for certain users to do their best to display their amazing perceived  knowledge while belittling the OP`s as much as possible. Next time please leave our thread where we originally posted it and maybe we can receive helpful replies.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

They did you a favour moving it, hardly anyone uses the .ca boards with virtually no interest in the answer center

You are putting up more worldwide no block listings.  Doesn't make much sense to ask for the same problem to repeat, try something different.  Your listings as far back as can still be seen are all the same way

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

We do not wish to make our blocked county list public for business reasons.

That is something which on eBay is totally IMPOSSIBLE. Countries on your exclusion list are shown to anyone who looks at your listings.

It seems like you are living in an alternate universe where eBay works the way you think it should. Here in the real world things are different.

We were hoping for past experiences from experienced sellers that may have encountered similar situations and hoping to learn from them but instead we landed in the middle of an inquisition........typical of this particular forum anymore....

Seems like you just want people to agree with you even when you're not correct. That's quite typical of some people, ask for help, then reject that help when it's offered.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

98%+ of the problems that are related to the shipping area in listings are because of user error, not a software problem so without any proof to the contrary, it's natural that people are going to think that this is the case here. I've never heard of anyone else having this particular problem before and normally when there is a software problem, it is reported over and over on the boards.

The ebay customer service reps have been known to be wrong and/or to say things to get the customer off of the phone.That might not be the case here but you are expecting people here to believe something just on your say so rather than on concrete proof and more information.  To show us what you mean, why don't you show a screen shot of how your international shipping and exclusions are set up? There are some very smart people on the forum who often help others but without the proper information, its difficult to offer any suggestions.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Well you made me break my New years resolution vow of silence.....

But please listen to what everyone is saying.  When we look at the listings we do not see exclusions.  I just was able to see every nation with a hipping price for small packet.  Which also struck me as a bit strange as I did not think the cup ans saucer I chose would fit comfortably into that category. 

But none the less please go through your listings, recheck the data fileds chosen, recheck the actually shipping portion of the listing form ,  I seem to remember there where two places I needed to indicate which nations we did not ship too back in the good old days, one under preferences, and then once in shipping.  It also could be a problem if you are using an outside source for listings, turbo lister or others and they may not be carrying through properly.  None the less to prevent this happening again you need to see about editing those listings that you can.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

The problem is relatively simple.

"We do not wish to make our blocked county list public"

Somehow, the original poster thinks it is possible to block countries without the world knowing about it.

eBay does not work that way.  "Blocked" countries are not a secret.

When a seller wishes to ship worldwide but restricts buyers from specific countries, one must list those "blocked" countries (or continents).  A typical listing may look like this:

Ships to: Worldwide See exclusions

Under the "Shipping" tab, you will find (for example):

Shipping to: Worldwide

Excludes: Africa, Central America and Caribbean, South America, China

The procedure to block countries is explained by eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/buyer-requirements.html

To block buyers in states, territories, or countries you don't want to ship to:
  1. Go to My eBay > Account > Site Preferences.

2. In the Selling Preferences section, scroll to Shipping preferences, and then click Show.

3. Next to Exclude shipping locations from your listings, click Edit.

4. Select the states, territories, or regions you don't want to ship to. You can exclude entire continents or select Show all countries, and then select the specific countries you don't want to ship to.

5. All excluded countries you select will appear in the lower section of the page.

6. Select Apply to all current live listings to apply these exclusions to all your current listings.

7. Click Apply to save your requirements.

Finally, it is important to remember to click the box on SYI3 following the "Shipping" information section.

Otherwise, the listing form (SYI3) will show:

Excluded shipping locations 
    Your listing may be visible on other international eBay sites. To exclude buyers in certain locations from purchasing your item, create a shipping exclusion list.
    No locations are currently excluded.

even if your "preferences" contain your list of "blocked" countries.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

For any sellers experiencing the same problem please see the discussion board thread for January 7th where ebay staff confirms we are experiencing an unusual software issue/problem and that our settings are indeed set correctly.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

Your settings are still incorrect.

Shipping:
C $13.05 Expedited Shipping

Item location:
Highland Grove Ontario, Canada 
Ships to:
Worldwide

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You should correct your setting  so they will show what you think they should show.

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

Perhaps you have missed the entire point of the OP's posts.  The exclusions have been set up correctly, yet are failing to show up on the live eBay listings.  If you read the postings and responses in today's Board Hour, you will find that this is confirmed by eBay staff, (as the OP stated in her first post) and that they have explicitly told the OP not to change anything until they fix whatever is causing the error.

I hope everyone will keep checking their own listings so they will know if they also get hit by this problem. 

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

" If you read the postings and responses in today's Board Hour, you will find that this is confirmed by eBay staff,"

Readers are invited to read the comments from the eBay.ca staff on the subject:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Board-Hour-Session/January-7th-2014-Weekly-Board-Hour/m-p/289809#...

Post # 7

"I've looked at your items and preferences and confirm that something isn't right here. I've flagged this to the appropriate team for further diagnostic. I'll update this post when I have more info." (no update was provided before the end of the "board Hour")

Post # 12

"It would actually be better to not do anything for now so that whoever is diagnosing the problem actually has something to look at"

Message 18 of 18
latest reply