Sales after migration to eBay.com

I migrated all my listings from eBay.ca to eBay.com last week so I could keep them in US dollars.  It was relatively easy (though expensive in listing fees) as I use Sixbit software and they've designed an excellent tool.

However, since the migration I have had only one sale and virtually no enquiries.  I have always had ups and downs in the velocity of sales but nothing like this.  I've concluded that it must be because though I am a Top-Rated Seller in Canada, I am not in the US.  I don't accept returns and it's necessary to accept 30 day returns for Top-Rated Seller status on eBay.com.

I have tried accepting returns before and it absolutely doesn't work for my business:

1.  I run a consignment business and have to pay my consignors in a timely fashion.  

2. I sell consigned clothing, shoes and accessories. Accepting returns on that type of item facilitates 'rentals'.  No retail consignment store accepts returns.

3. I sell and ship from Canada and it costs a fortune to return ship from the US where 80% of my buyers are.

Has anyone else seen a sales impact after migrating to .com?  

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Good example of how much of an impact this has on many sellers that sold and want to continue to sell in USD.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

You've made the right decision....

Migrating to .com has nothing to do with it.

eBay.com is where to be as I feel eBay.ca is a sinking ship. eBay.com is an icon site and US buyers are not going to relate to the currency exchange in Canadian funds.

Buyers around the world will log-in to eBay.com more then any other eBay site.

Sales will always fluctuate and we are beginning to experience the "holiday" zone (Jun-Aug.) when sales are traditionally slower then other months.

I also have a "no return policy" with no effect on sales.  

Hang-in there, you can't go wrong with ebay.com.   

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Thanks.  That's just the encouragement I need.  I've put so much into building this business.  Still no sales yet though.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

As stated, June/ July is never good months. It summer. Kids are getting out of schools, plans for holidays are going on. Not shopping at Ebay.

That being said , other than the Christmas shoppers in November and early December, Im not sure what are the good months.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

My business is vastly different, but the only difference I've seen is a tiny uptick on sales to Australia. Odd.

Just to be clear, you do know that NO RETURNS is not the same as No Refunds, right?

If you take Paypal, you make refunds.

With eBay disputes, the seller is usually required to pay the return, and there is no mechanism in place to do this for international transactions. EBay allows 30 days after delivery for disputes.

With Paypal disputes, the buyer pays for the return.PP allows 180 (!) days after payment for disputes.

Personally, I would prefer to get the 'rental' back, even if I had already paid my consignor and end up with gently used stock of my own. YMMV.

Does sixbit support Macs? Turbolister apparently will migrate easily but only works for PCs.

How are you handling shipping on what must be mostly parcel shipments?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Oh, yes, I'm aware of the returns distinctions.  And though my stated policy is no returns, I have never hesitated to accept a return from a buyer with a fit issue who contacts me right away and is willing to pay return shipping.  

I use a PC but I'm pretty sure Sixbit supports Macs.  I went to Sixbit when Blackthorne folded and I can't say enough about them.  It took a little getting used to but it's great software and the support and community are great.

All my shipments are parcels.  I have three different presets, one of which is free shipping.  They show as 'Standard Shipping from Outside US' for US buyers and 'Standard International Shipping' for Canadian buyers as US is now domestic and Canada international.  Obviously, I can't show the specific Canada Post service as I used to.  I hope now that so many Canadian sellers are listing on .com, they will add Canadian shipping services!  I have international sellers contact me for a quote as all my items are OAK and international services and prices vary so much between countries.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Also...I've always had a lot of Australian buyers.  I love shipping there - Canada Post service to Australia is excellent.  Not cheap, but very fast.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Sixbits does not support Macs.  GarageSale is for Mac users, and very easy to use.  Short learning curve.  No problems at all changing currencies, sites, etc.  Great support, love love love GarageSale.  Am currently testing the beta version of GarageSale 7 and other than a few questions that were quickly answered, it is smooth sailing.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I have migrated all my sales to .com and sales are about the same.  Pretty much what I can expect for this time of year.

Hang in there 🙂

Message 10 of 10
latest reply