Seat belt extenders (and electrical items) on eBay don't list any appropriate testing.

I just found seat belt extenders on eBay, and I'm concerned that none of the ones I've seen list any testing to meet government safety standards. I'm concerned that buyers may be endangering themselves--I find no cause to be confident that these items won't fail catastrophically in the event of a crash--and I'm wondering what can be done about this?

I have similar concerns about electrical items--almost none of those on eBay have been tested by the CSA/UL/cUL/equivalent--but the seat belt extender question seems more clear to me--I don't know why.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Seat belt extenders (and electrical items) on eBay don't list any appropriate testing.

mcrlmn
Community Member
IMO If they don't meet the safety standards to date, they shouldn't be listed.
A pic of the certification should also be provided.
It is often present on the item.

Your concern is probably more the 'Buyer Beware' category.
If it can't be provided, buyers should walk away.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

You may be right about it being a buyer-beware thing. However, I'm already on my guard about this kind of thing, but I can't think of any legitimate and obvious ways to alert my fellow buyers to the problems with these two categories of goods.

I'm concerned about the safety of the public, and the law already (in the case of electrical goods, at any rate) places requirements on these items that the items fail to meet. I could probably report them each as being illegal, but that would take as many man-hours as a full-time job, I'm guessing.

"Caveat emptor" feels like an unsatisfying solution, to me.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

kxeron
Community Member

Hi,

eBay themselves tend to do what is cheapest in their own interests, enforcement and creating process to ensure safety would cost them money. In another endangerment example, eBay has also indirectly endangered the public by permitting sellers to list computers with preloaded software without any proof of licensing of all preloaded software (and supporting documentation) and defect claim mechanisms in play if the computer were to come with non-genuine software that could be compromised with malware. This can cause people to receive such computers and have their identity stolen when they perform financial stuff on their 'new' computer.

But getting back on topic, you're right, eBay should have more responsibility in ensuring that the public safety is upheld considering there can be foreign listings with the source location incorrectly set, especially when some sellers could be using a mail order catelogue model where they import from a foreign location not .

The only defense unfortunately at the moment for the public not aware of documentation is the CBSA (Customs) and having non-certified items seized for non-compliance.

My advice would be to get in contact with some of the safety regulators perhaps in a written form AND via phone to open dialogue on the matter, telling them what you have pointed out here — that consumers are not protected on sites like eBay from non-certified safety devices and that eBay is too hands-off on these sorts of issues. Reason I'm saying to go to the regulators is that they would have much more sway to directly legally sanction eBay for lacking consumer protections (perhaps making them make these devices unavailable to Canadians), or at the least to have public information initiatives to warn people against buying safety devices on eBay in the event eBay is unhelpful. You may have a new hobby for a while to make your case to the regulators on why this should be on their radar, but perhaps you could get a local petition in your city/town going.

eBay themselves will not correct these issues as they will just use  the "Buyer Beware" line or instruct you using some boilerplate text on how you should use the resolution centre or something like that, but not at all change their policy. In general, when it comes to industry standards (especially those legally supported like software licensing and safety certifications), eBay is pretty much with fingers in their ears.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply