Seller asks for Positive Feedback immediately after purchasing

Hello Everybody,

Recently I purchased 4 separate items from a seller at a very low auction winning price.

After the auction closed I immediately received a message from the seller saying how he/she was disappointed that I had won all 4 auctions because the intent was to accumulate feedback (which is already about 1700 and 99%+), as I will count as one.  It was their next request which left me scratching my head, this individual requested that I immediately leave positive feedback.  I have purchased from this seller on more than one occasion, but I'm reluctant to leave feedback until I at least receive the item.  I have not responded.

It is that kind of behaviour that leaves me reluctant to leave feedback at all.  

There is no reasoning with the unreasonable.
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

That's just plain rude. If you've bought from this individual before with none of this fuss, maybe it might be worth asking what's going on. You should NEVER leave feedback until you get the item(s).

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

" I have not responded."

Maybe you should.

Two answers are possible.

If the seller has already left positive feedback to you after you paid:

"Thank you for your message.  As always, I will leave positive feedback upon prompt and satisfactory receipt of my purchase."

If the seller has not yet left positive feedback despite having received your payment:

"Thank you for your message.  My policy is to give sellers positive feedback upon prompt and satisfactory receipt of my purchase if the seller has given me positive feedback at time of receiving my payment."

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Geez! Some sellers do just take the feedback thing WAY too seriously.

Did they actually use the word "dissapointed"?

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

While Feedback it is important for Newbies who are about to sell, Feedback just doesn't seem that important anymore unless they are coupled with Low DSRs.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

What does "DSR" mean? (I'm not a seller).

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

You aren't obliged to leave FB, and in this case, can you really say this was a satisfactory transaction?  Personally, I'd be tempted to leave no FB whatsoever, or leave completely honest, neutral FB & appropriate DSRs.  This is borderline FB extortion, or at least emotional blackmail. 

The seller actually told you he/she was "disappointed" that you won 4 items?  What an excellent strategy to keep buyers from coming back again. 

Yikes, sorry, but if ever a seller's unprofessional handling of a transaction deserved a failing grade for communications, this is it!  Outrageous.  

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

What does "DSR" mean? (I'm not a seller).

Detailed Seller Ratings - the bane of sellers' existence on eBay because many buyers have no understanding of the seriousness and consequences to the seller of these ratings.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Detailed Seller Ratings - the bane of sellers' existence on eBay because many buyers have no understanding of the seriousness and consequences to the seller of these ratings.

Thanks for explaining. I am quite aware of the importance of the ratings. That's how I've managed to get some sellers to pull up their socks when dealing with a problem such as  refunding excess postage (I don't fuss for a buck or less, but more than that, along with sellers giving me "attitude" makes me suspicious that they are deliberately gouging). The way I put it to difficult sellers is that prefer to give glowing feedback with 5 stars (which is true), but if I have to, I will leave negative feedback. I recently left negative feedback with 2 of the stars being only at 1 (would have been negative, if ebay allowed negative numbers) due to the rudeness of the seller and his refusal to make a wrong situation right.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

"I recently left negative feedback ... due to the rudeness of the seller and his refusal to make a wrong situation right."

I guess I'm one of those sellers who tries so hard to make every transaction an outstandingly positive one for every buyer, that I just can't grasp why there are rude sellers out there. 

How on earth do they keep selling?  Or maybe the real question is why keep selling if you don't like dealing with customers!  Yikes, maybe some retraining at McDonald's is required ...

I hesitate to ask, but was this a U.S. or Cdn. seller?

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

"I recently left negative feedback ... due to the rudeness of the seller and his refusal to make a wrong situation right."

I guess I'm one of those sellers who tries so hard to make every transaction an outstandingly positive one for every buyer, that I just can't grasp why there are rude sellers out there. 

How on earth do they keep selling?  Or maybe the real question is why keep selling if you don't like dealing with customers!  Yikes, maybe some retraining at McDonald's is required ...

I hesitate to ask, but was this a U.S. or Cdn. seller?

I'm Canadian, the seller is American. He charged me the international shipping amount for an item he then mailed from elsewhere in Canada (was sent from Manitoba to Alberta). The difference was over $7, which is enough for me to have asked him politely to refund that. He refused, was rude, and said all he would do was to allow me to return the item and refund the money for that.

Well, the item wasn't the problem. I told him I was happy with the item, just not happy with being gouged on postage.

When I find honest and considerate sellers, I stick with them. I am loyal to them. I tell other people what wonderful sellers they are.

The reverse is also true, and I have no idea how they stay in business - maybe because not enough people complain about them. One guy said that I was the only one of his customers who had ever complained about the specific problem we were having. I told him it was irrelevant if all his other customers had apparently been happy - the point was that I was not happy and I wanted the situation resolved before I left feedback.

Amidst much grumbling, he finally did comply (this is a different situation from the one I mentioned a few paragraphs up, btw. I actually don't have that many problems with people, and if any stressing things happen, I deal with it and then put the on my personal DO NOT BUY FROM THIS DISHONORABLE SELLER list.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply