Seller has Contest, but only for Positive Feedback

This is new one to me; just got an item and the seller included a card that invites me to enter a "contest" to win stuff from him, but I can only enter IF I leave a positive feedback. Quite honestly, he.she was a lousy seller that took forever to get me the item (postmark shows it was mailed three weeks after I paid), but I guess he gets lots of Positive feedbacks with this incentive. Thoughts anyone? Is this somewhat defeating the feedback system? Does Ebay allow a seller to solicit Positives by offering a reward?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Interesting. It's the first time I've heard of such thing. *awaits other more experienced users' input*

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

bilge21
Community Member

I have not been able to find any rule that prevents a seller from doing that, but it seems like an interesting idea. I wonder if the seller has actually followed through and awarded anything?

And yes, I can see how it may defeat the system seeing as how many people have no problem liking "Win this Ring by sharing this post" posts on FaceBook and other places.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

As bilge implied:  There is no way to determine if anyone actually wins anything.

IMO it's a little risky and could result in NFB as well.

For example:  It made you focus on the fact that your transaction was not satisfactory and could give someone the slight nudge needed to leave NFB.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

"Stupid is as stupid does". 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Ya really.........

If the seller had the contest and didn't mention FB at all there would be a much greater chance that the desired results would be realized.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

This sounds like a mild form of Feedback extortion to me. I would report the seller to ebay , just on principle. Like others here have said, who knows if this " contest " has had any winners even.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply