Seller is threatening to block me

I left a neutral feedback for a seller, who shipped my item 16 days after receiving my payment. I think, such a delay deserves an explanation or apologies, which would be sufficient for me. The seller, however, sent me a message after I left the feedback explaining that if I ever want to buy from them again, I should retract/change the feedback. In the same message, the seller agrees the feedback was deserved. It was factual and fair. I feel threatened by the message, no matter how polite. Any opinions? Should I report it?
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

No, as a buyer I expect the seller to indicate to me any potential delays as a courtesy. It should not be the buyer's responsibility to follow up on the delivery. Btw it was not the post that delayed shipping, but the seller not sending earlier.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Thanks for all the feedback. I consider the thread closed.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Did you contact the seller about why the item hadn't been shipped before leaving FB?

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

No
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

No, as a buyer I expect the seller to indicate to me any potential delays as a courtesy. It should not be the buyer's responsibility to follow up on the delivery. Btw it was not the post that delayed shipping, but the seller not sending earlier.
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I agree:  It was the sellers place to contact you about shipping late and not yours to ask why.

That said:  Do you really care if you're blocked?

I suppose it matters for some categories (I wouldn't know), but I buy a lot and have been for many many years and I don't know if I've ever bought from the same seller twice.

Does it really matter that the seller has blocked you if for some reason it makes him or her feel better?  

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@snoverine wrote:

Limey's question to you had nothing to do with delays in the mail.

While I agree that the seller should be responsible for letting you know of potential delays, sometimes things come up that are beyond the seller's control such as family emergencies.  I would have at least done the seller the courtesy of making sure everything was okay on his end before leaving feedback.  Neutral or negative feedback is considered a "last resort" when you can't work something out with a seller.

Having said that, I also have to agree with the view that it seems odd that you'd want to continue doing business with this seller if you feel that they're not pulling their weight.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I still believe that delayed shipping notification should include a short note saying: "sorry for late shipping, busy Christmas". That would show me some care.

Rest assured I will not buy from this seller for the same reason: the quality of customer service, so I don't care if they block me or not.

I buy frequently from previously known and proven sellers.

The question still remains open: should such a threat be reported to ebay?

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Let it pass.

You got your coin.

A seller can block anyone for any reason they want.

Ebay won't do anything over such a frivolous matter.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

What is it about the message that makes you "feel threatened"?

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Unless there is something you have not said, all that happens is that the seller has informed you she doesn't want your business.

Since it is unlikely that you want to deal with her either there is a meeting of minds here.

Sellers are allowed to Block any specific member we want. We can also automatically Block bids from entire categories of members, such as those with Unpaid Item Strikes or without Paypal accounts. I have the entire continent of Africa blocked.

You could send her a message,"Thank you for blocking me. This has been a very uncomfortable transaction and I am pleased that I will not accidentally buy from you again."

My food is problematic. - River Tam

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Thanks for all the feedback. I consider the thread closed.
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

aqyera
Community Member

@snoverine wrote:
I feel threatened by the message, no matter how polite. Any opinions?

Maybe seller felt threatened by you leaving negative feedback. Honey, not everything is all about you.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@aqyera wrote:

@snoverine wrote:
I feel threatened by the message, no matter how polite. Any opinions?

Maybe seller felt threatened by you leaving negative feedback. Honey, not everything is all about you.

More likely the seller felt  he could get the feedback removed  by threatening the buyer.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

"he could get the feedback removed "

Way too late for that.  The negative feedback were given in October.

I see it as a prudent step by the seller to protect his reputation.  He simply does not want to do business with that buyer.  Not worth the risks.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

1. Not true, feedback was given recently. Can still be changed.
2. Not true, this feedback will not influence my feedback next time and if the experience is positive, so will be feedback.
3. Seller tries to bully me into changing feedback. Now I see there is more of this.
4. A fatal mistake the "prudent" businesses seem to make is to assume the buyer base is indefinite.
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

"feedback was given recently."

You are correct.  My mistake.  I was thinking about another thread.  Sorry about that.

On the other hand, I must state that I always block a buyer who leaves negative or neutral feedback (it does not happen very often).

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

I find it poor form to ambush sellers with neutral or negative feedback without giving them an opportunity to resolve the problem.

I ALWAYS give people the opportunity to make it up before escalating. To me, leaving neutral or negative feedback is a form of escalation that should be done after an attempt at satisfactory resolution fails, not before. Snoverine I recommend you go play nice and don't get so itchy with the trigger finger.

The seller also probably lacks some CS skills. There's no way anyone should ever lose a customer over something as trivial as this; that shows some clumsiness.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply