Seller offers cancellation and then ships the item

3nding
Community Member

So I won a watch in an auction, paid directly through Paypal and contacted the seller immediately to inform him that since the description of the watch was kind of vague, I would only return it if it didn't work properly (I had already contacted him about the movement, but his response didn't give much to go on), i.e. didn't keep great time (the ad said the watch was in working condition and had just been serviced). 

The seller responded by saying that it might not fit my needs and offered to cancel. I didn't respond immediately because I needed to check if it was worth the risk of buying it and then having not work and not being able to return it.

Since then, the seller as shipped the watch without getting an answer on his cancellation offer. 

Is it okay for me to message him, agreeing to his cancellation offer saying that I will be returning the watch as soon as it gets here since he is the one who offered cancellation and then shipped the watch without getting my answer?

Thank you very much in advance,

3nding

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Seller offers cancellation and then ships the item

3nding
Community Member
I would really appreciate an answer as soon as possible!
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

There are just other eBay users who post on these boards, so anything that we say will be just an opinion, no one here can give you a definite answer.

You already committed to buying the watch and if you had any questions, they should have been asked before you bid. If the questions weren't answered satisfactory you shouldn't have bid.  You purchased the watch a week ago -  you didn't give a time line but if he asked you about the cancellation shortly after the purchase and you still hadn't answered a few days later, he might have thought that you did not want to cancel. In the same circumstance, I don't know if I would have sent it or not but I can understand why he did.

The seller isn't obligated to cancel because you did commit to the purchase when you bid. I realize he offered to but since you didn't respond I don't think that you can now say that you want to cancel. In my opinion you should accept the watch and if it works as you want, then that's great. If it doesn't, then you will have to open an item not described claim.

I don't have all the facts but based on what I know, that's what I would do in your position.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thanks a lot for the quick reply!

Honestly, a well constructed opinion like the one you just gave me is for than good enough for my taste. I have to admit it was a bit clumsy on my part and I don't blame the seller for shipping the item, I probably would have done the same thing.This pretty much answers my question, but opens up a new one...

As for the timeline it pretty much went:

-I  won the auction and bought the watch, sent him a message to set a precedent if the watch was not up to specifications saying that  that would be my reason if I was to return it upon arrival in order not to look like I was returning it just because I didn't like it

-Seller sent a message offering cancellation

-Got the message but didn't read it because I was quite busy and didn't think it was about cancelling the product

-Seller shipped the item about 4 days later

-I read the message today

Now my new question is: as the watch was advertised as being in "working condition" and being in a generally good shape although not being tested for time accuracy, will I have a case for returning it if comes in and doesn't keep decent time (say it's ± 1 minutes a day, which is a lot for an automatic) or if it's badly scratched (the listing said hairlike scratches)?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

How expensive was the watch?

I realize you are pretty "new" to eBay even if you registered several years ago.  I would chalk this one up to experience and forget about it.

The next time, read the entire listing before you bid or buy. The time to ask questions is before you purchase, not after.

The seller offered to cancel but you chose to ignore his/her message.  That's your mistake, not the seller's.

Call it the price of an education and move on.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The seller has 100% feedback rating and is located in the Philippines (272126667551) and the watch was purchased for US$95.

Since you expressed concerns, the seller offered you to cancel your purchase.  You ignored his offer.  Since you had paid, he shipped as he should.

Unless there is something very wrong with the watch when it arrives, you should keep it and enjoy it.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@3nding wrote:

Thanks a lot for the quick reply!

Honestly, a well constructed opinion like the one you just gave me is for than good enough for my taste. I have to admit it was a bit clumsy on my part and I don't blame the seller for shipping the item, I probably would have done the same thing.This pretty much answers my question, but opens up a new one...

As for the timeline it pretty much went:

-I  won the auction and bought the watch, sent him a message to set a precedent if the watch was not up to specifications saying that  that would be my reason if I was to return it upon arrival in order not to look like I was returning it just because I didn't like it

-Seller sent a message offering cancellation

-Got the message but didn't read it because I was quite busy and didn't think it was about cancelling the product

-Seller shipped the item about 4 days later

-I read the message today

Now my new question is: as the watch was advertised as being in "working condition" and being in a generally good shape although not being tested for time accuracy, will I have a case for returning it if comes in and doesn't keep decent time (say it's ± 1 minutes a day, which is a lot for an automatic) or if it's badly scratched (the listing said hairlike scratches)?

If the watch doesn't keep time then you could request a return based on item is not working/not as described. You could probably do the same if the item was scratched more than described although the type and amount of scratches is a subjective thing so where you might see it as badly scratched the sellers sees it as minor scratching. Honestly....in the future if you have any hesitation about buying an item, it's probably best to move on to another listing.  It's not worth the hassle if you have to return it. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I don't understand the reasoning behind contacting the seller, it sounds like you wanted to return the watch soon after you bought it and your message to him had one purpose which was to prepare him for the eventual return of the item.

Why didn't you wait  until you received the item, then decide whether it is up to the specification or not ,if not, then contact the seller .

I'm sorry for sounding direct but to be fair ,the seller treated you very nicely for offering a cancellation  right after he/she sold you the item.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply