Seller sent wrong item, wants me to pay to get the right one.

lil_sheyrena
Community Member

I was sent the wrong item by a seller, which was extremely late arriving. I contacted them, and then they spent a week getting me to take a variety of increasingly detailed photos of the item and shipping envelope, so that at this point the window for a PayPal dispute closes in two days. (I wish they'd just told me exactly what they wanted in the first place?)

They have now acknowledged that they sent me the wrong item, but they want me to pay to ship the wrong item back to them or else pay to get the right item from them, to "help offset their losses". If the mistake had been mine -- I ordered the wrong thing, or didn't want it, or it wasn't the right size, something like that -- then I'd happily pay to return it as usual. But any non-eBay business that has ever sent me the wrong item has always covered return shipping for the wrong item and shipping to get the right item to me. I have complete sympathy for the fact that honest mistakes happen, but I feel it's not my responsibility to "help offset their losses", as the mistake wasn't mine. I've tried saying, "No thank you, as I shouldn't have to pay twice to get what I ordered in the first place," but they're insisting.

What's the eBay etiquette for this? Which one is normal here: what I expect or what they're asking? I've never run into this before, and I don't want to be a jerk but I also don't want to get taken advantage of, and again, the window for a PayPal dispute closes in two days.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Hi  A fair seller will recognize their error and take responsibility for it. Most fall back on PayPal's policy of return at buyer's expense.

You need to open a claim to protect your payment because it cannot be resolved before time runs out.

If it were me , i would file the claim , wait for PayPal instructions to return if required and recover payment. Return is at your cost with delivery confirmation.

Can reflect your experience in the feedback you leave.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

File the Paypal dispute immediately.

Ask that the seller or Paypal provide a return shipping label. Your chances of getting this are not good , but ask anyway.

You will probably have to return the item. Use a DELIVERY CONFIRMED service like Expedited.( If the seller is overseas, this would be ExpressPost International and cost over$40)

Do NOT accept a replacement. Go for a cash refund. Time is short and there is a good chance that another mistake will happen.

Cash refund only.

You have up to 60 days to leave feedback for this idiot. At that time, you will be asked to leave Detailed Seller Ratings. The lowest Rating is ONE STAR.

When a seller's rating drop below 4.3 his ability to list and to sell are restricted by eBay for up to a year.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Hi  A fair seller will recognize their error and take responsibility for it. Most fall back on PayPal's policy of return at buyer's expense.

You need to open a claim to protect your payment because it cannot be resolved before time runs out.

If it were me , i would file the claim , wait for PayPal instructions to return if required and recover payment. Return is at your cost with delivery confirmation.

Can reflect your experience in the feedback you leave.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

File the Paypal dispute immediately.

Ask that the seller or Paypal provide a return shipping label. Your chances of getting this are not good , but ask anyway.

You will probably have to return the item. Use a DELIVERY CONFIRMED service like Expedited.( If the seller is overseas, this would be ExpressPost International and cost over$40)

Do NOT accept a replacement. Go for a cash refund. Time is short and there is a good chance that another mistake will happen.

Cash refund only.

You have up to 60 days to leave feedback for this idiot. At that time, you will be asked to leave Detailed Seller Ratings. The lowest Rating is ONE STAR.

When a seller's rating drop below 4.3 his ability to list and to sell are restricted by eBay for up to a year.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply