Seller to Refund Return Shipping

I returned a garbage item that I had purchased to seller. eBay confirmed:

Send the item back

The seller is responsible for return shipping charges. Contact the seller for a return shipping label. If they can't provide one, you can purchase a label, and we'll ask the seller to reimburse you.

After I paid CAN$14.01 postage to return item to seller and refund received via PayPal for main item but NOT for return shipping charges that seller had to pay according to eBay.

And when I went back to eBay return process page this is now eBay untrue message:

This return is now completed
The seller refunded C $52.49 to your original payment method in PayPal. You don't need to return this item to the seller - you can
keep the item. PayPal transaction 3XL73845WT630323A

And eBay has blocked all the communication doors to contact eBay on this subject.

Any one has a solution?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

You could try phoning eBay about this.

You would want an English speaker, so call during the week between 9 and 5.

The call centre then is in Utah.

Don't expect them to understand that you are in Canada.

Don't expect them to understand that your seller was unable to send you a shipping label (this can only be done if both parties are in the same country.)

You want to speak to a supervisor, but be nice to the clerk you get first. She might actually be able to help without escalation.

If eBay refunds your return postage, it will be from their own pocket and not from the seller. So they have a lot of discretion.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

No long distance phone calls to eBay from Canada. I do not purchase eBay items by phone calls so why should I phone spend more that postage refund? eBay is cheating me by removing its original wording replacing with false statement that "you can keep the item" which item? eBay told me to post it pay for postage because seller is responsible to refund it. That statement is removed by eBay and so no longer I can even trust eBay for its own written words.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Either you jumped the gun and returned the item before being instructed to do so, or this is yet another glitch with the return process.

It almost sounds like you were instructed to return the item and then the seller refunded after you shipped but before it arrived.

Can you contact the seller?

If so, try that first but if you can't communicate with the seller call eBay using their 800 number.

If that is the case, they will refund your return shipping even if the seller isn't doing so.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I went through the same process and when eBay said I can send it back paying for return postage, they will ask the Seller for the return shipping cost. I called eBay Customer Care about this and they said that at this stage, I don't have to pay the shipping and return the item, she said just wait until Thursday before eBay can start working on my behalf and see my photos I uploaded and take some action. Strange, because that info on my request page that said something like...after so many days you can ask eBay to step in, that info was removed as if I had no other options but to return with paid postage and not get the guaranteed reimbursement. EBay was trying to fool me into making the wrong choice, not a good Return system and it needs a lot of fixing!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

These prove that eBay present web site is designed to keep buyers in a vicious circle with no access to any eBay support to deal with immediate complications of a sale. When eBay itself confirms in writing to buyer guiding buyer to pay to return item then seller is responsible to provide funds for return of defective items then eBay itself after buyer pays and returns item removes original ruling replaces with total fabricated false statement, then eBay can never be trusted again by buyers even if eBay provides rules & regulations in writing.Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 6
latest reply