Seller wants me to confirm my paypal account. They want my phone number, paypal email, paypal account address, and buyer's ID. Is this safe?

asil1798
Community Member

They want this info before they send out the item. Is this safe or...? Sorry, I'm kinda new...

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Seller wants me to confirm my paypal account. They want my phone number, paypal email, paypal account address, and buyer's ID. Is this safe?

It sounds strange to me.

But they are not asking for any information that paypal wouldn't have already provided them with anyway.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Re: Seller wants me to confirm my paypal account. They want my phone number, paypal email, paypal account address, and buyer's ID. Is this safe?

They know your buyer ID - it's asil1798.

And your address appears on the eBay invoice that both seller and buyer see.

Unless.

Your eBay and Paypal addresses do not match. In which case, correct one or both so that they do. Note that you can add several "gift" addresses (all Canadian) to your PP account. If you are sending a gift, let the seller know.

While eBay will provide both parties in a transaction with contact information, it is often easier for the buyer to give the seller this directly. However, the usual reason is that the seller plans to use a courier to ship and the courier wants a contact number.

You do NOT want your item shipped by courier (UPS/FedEx), because of the $25 plus brokerage fee they will charge you before they will release your purchase. Your seller may not know about this. Ask that the item be shipped by USPS/Canada Post which reduces that fee to $9 or less.

If the seller will not ship by USPS, ask for a Mutual Cancellation.

And your PP ID is the email that is on the invoice too.

Is the seller new? If so, he may be panicking that your payment is being Held for 21 days against his good performance. Let him know that he still is required to ship within 7 days to retain his Seller Protection.

You can leave feedback for 60 days. Don't jump the gun on that.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

asil1798
Community Member

So, it's a code. I am to receive it in my inbox.

I guess he wants to just verify that the paypal account is mine. He will still send the product in 10 days if I don't verify it... Which seems kinda pointless to begin with... 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Have you paid ? If so , politely ask seller to send or refund payment. If payment was from bank as an echeque those take 8/9 days to clear to seller before he will send/ship.

Here is your payment protection..

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/paypal-buyer-protection.html

Message 5 of 5
latest reply