Sellers Can Unilaterally Cancel Orders

I find this so annoying and it's happened to me several times now.

I buy an item listed via the GSP and pay via a paypal money request.

The seller then cancels the order without notifying or asking me.

I have the option of checking that I've received a refund or that I haven't sent payment.

Neither is true.

I have paid and I have not received a refund.

Those are my two choices.

There is no option to deny the cancellation.

If I do nothing I assume that the cancellation will go through in 10 days.

That is, the seller unilaterally cancels the order and gets eBay fees back and I lose my ability to leave FB.

What's wrong with this picture?

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Is that what has happened in the past?

They way they have the cancellation process set up right now can be confusing and seems a bit sketchy at times.

Have you contacted the sellers(s) to find out why they cancelled the transaction(s) and/or if they are still sending your purchase?  Is it possible they are still sending your item but they think they are supposed to cancel  because you paid through a paypal invoice rather than through ebay checkout?

If you do nothing and they do not send the item, I would think that they would recover their fees in 10 days but I don't think that you would be automatically refunded because the ebay transaction is not directly involved with the money request. Did they mark the item as paid? Even if they did I wonder if ebay would know how you paid. I think that you would have to phone about it if that's the situation.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

"I buy an item listed via the GSP and pay via a paypal money request."

Was that done at your request to bypass GSP?

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

They way they have the cancellation process set up right now can be confusing and seems a bit sketchy at times.

That's an understatement!

There are problems with the new system for all items, but for GSP items paid via a money request it's a twisted mess.

I don't think the seller even has the option to mark these items paid.

I'm not concerned that these items aren't going to arrive, and in any case if there is a problem I can always open a paypal case.

It's just annoying to get these requests to cancel out of the blue and know that it makes no sense and be powerless to respond in a truthful and meaningful way.

It makes me suspicious when a seller sends a request to cancel for no valid reason and the kicker is that eBay sanctions these requests.

(Just got off the phone with them.)

Also, if a buyer doesn't respond aren't all cases found in favour of the seller in 10 days time?

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"I buy an item listed via the GSP and pay via a paypal money request."

Was that done at your request to bypass GSP?

Sort of.  It was a Best Offer deal which included shipping without the GSP......... so it was pre-arranged.

Why do you ask?

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

"Why do you ask?"

Just trying to understand all aspects of the transaction. 

I guess that asking the seller to go outside the system creates problems at times due to sellers not always understanding what exactly they should do.

From my perspective, it would be easier to ask the seller to end the listing and relist with direct shipment instead of using GSP.  Then everything goes the normal way: the buyer buys, the seller invoices, the buyer pays through PayPal, feedback is posted, shipping label purchased if the seller used PayPal postage, etc...  Just routine.

It seems to me that  problems often occur because the transaction was not completed the way the system expects it to work.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Perhaps in a perfect world.

But this is eBay!

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

I don't buy much on eBay, and the GSP has all but put a stop to the little I did buy.

Buying should be fun.  Who needs an edge to spending money?

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

I don't buy much on eBay, and the GSP has all but put a stop to the little I did buy.

Buying should be fun.  Who needs an edge to spending money?

Hear, hear!

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I just want to correct my initial assumption that the cancellation would go though in 10 days.

Apparently that's not the way it works.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I just want to correct my initial assumption that the cancellation would go though in 10 days.

Apparently that's not the way it works.

Than how does it work?

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

I'm not exactly sure and that's why I didn't say more.

I believe that after 10 days the transaction stands and the case just disappears unless the buyer closes it by checking one of the two options (received refund or didn't pay).

All in all, it's just a bad idea for a seller to send a form like that without discussing it  with the buyer first.

In my case it made me suspicious that something was wrong, and sure it enough there is.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

You know that Paypal has it's own Resolution Centre with Buyer Protections at least as strong as eBay's, right?

If you don't get your item in a timely fashion, go there and open an Item Not Received dispute.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Yes, thank you.

I was able to open a case on eBay after all but it took a phone call.

Just so much trouble and makes me wonder if it's worth the effort at all.

You know:  Time is money and money is time .......... that old thing.  For me it's a business and so the effort put into every purchase matters.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

As it turns out I was right the first time.  

If a buyer pays for a GSP item through a paypal money request to get rid of the GSP and ship the normal way, then the buyer has no eBay protection whatsoever.

Of course there is still paypal protection which amounts to the same thing other than the issue of return shipping costs.

That is, the seller can file a request to cancel and the buyer has the option to check either that a refund was received or no payment was made.

Since neither is true, there is no option to for the buyer to respond.

After 10 days the transaction is cancelled and the seller receives eBay fees.  

However, it does appear as if one can still leave FB.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

I spent some time on the phone with paypal sorting through this as it did result in a claim as I suspected it would, and during the course of our rather lengthy conversation the paypal rep told me a little about her experience with eh GSP as a paypal rep.

Apparently paypal GSP cases far outrank all other types of cases and they are overrun with them.

She told me that many of these cases are for huge sums of money and explained that it has to do with the fact that sellers get a lot of protection when using the GSP that they don't get when shipping the normal way.

If an item arrives damaged the seller can claim that the GSP is to blame.  Sellers are also protected in other ways as well.

I'm sure there is much more to it and now I wish that I'd asked her to elaborate but at the time I was more concerned with my own problem transaction.

Just thought that was interesting to note.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

If a buyer pays for a GSP item through a paypal money request to get rid of the GSP and ship the normal way, then the buyer has no eBay protection whatsoever.

Did Paypal tell you that?  They may not the best people to ask how ebay mbg works. Even if you pay directly through Paypal, you would still have purchased the item on ebay so it doesn't make sense to me that the mbg wouldn't apply.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

If the item shows as unpaid on eBay, yes, the MBG does not apply. It is very logic. However, you are still protected by PayPal.

And you now have 180 days (about 6 months) to open a claim in case of INR or SNAD. Which is very insane in my humble opinion, especially for not as described... buyer can wear or use the item for months and then claim not as described? Wow... not to mention the eBay listing does not exist anymore after 90 days!

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Did Paypal tell you that?  They may not the best people to ask how ebay mbg works. Even if you pay directly through Paypal, you would still have purchased the item on ebay so it doesn't make sense to me that the mbg wouldn't apply.

mbg????

First eBay told me that and then paypal told me that as well.  Both told me I had to open a paypal case, which I did and I've already received a refund.

The drawback for a buyer of course is that paypal does not pay return shipping (yet) while eBay does for INADed.

EBay had no record of the payment and so they wouldn't allow me to open a case even though it was clear to everyone that the seller had been paid.

Among other things, tracking had also been posted and showed that the item had arrived.

Also, even though it was clear that the seller had been paid and shipped the item, she was still able to cancel the transaction and recover eBay fees.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

MBG Money Back Guarantee

I wonder if the situation would be different if the seller hadn't cancelled the transaction.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply