Selling Only Allowed In Canadian Funds On eBay.ca Starting June 1

Well it finally happened.  Just got a new message from eBay stating that Selling Will Only Be Allowed In Canadian Funds On eBay.ca Starting June 1.  Probably will end up listing on eBay.com from now on.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Selling Only Allowed In Canadian Funds On eBay.ca Starting June 1

PayPal automatically converts to Can funds regardless if its a US Funds account

Message 21 of 47
latest reply

"PayPal automatically converts to Can funds regardless if its a US Funds account "

That is incorrect.

If the funds from a transaction come into your PayPal account in US$, they will remain in US$ in your PayPal account if you have a US$ balance.

They will only be converted into Cdn$ if you do not have a US$ balance.

Most Canadian sellers should have at least two PayPal balances: US$ and Cdn$. 

Select a "primary" balance based on your withdrawals.

Message 22 of 47
latest reply

Thank you so much for your input and helping me out. I appreciate it a lot.

I have already started listing in Canadian funds, will give it a whirl.

If I see my sales are declining, I have kept my conversion charts for each item so if need be I can list on .com

Thanks again for your help.

Message 23 of 47
latest reply

Nope! US buyers won't see it. So there goes 70 of our sales! Please stand up against this decision and if we all stop listing for a while, they will have to listen to what we want!
Message 24 of 47
latest reply

But VERY FEW US buyers buy from Canadians listing in CA dollars. Fact. So we are screwed once again. We need to strike against this for a month and see how fast ebay changes it back!
Message 25 of 47
latest reply

"But VERY FEW US buyers buy from Canadians listing in CA dollars. Fact"

How really would you know that for a fact?

I have over 106,000 transactions on eBay in 17 years.  The vast majority to American customers and priced in Cdn$.  Now that is a fact.

Read the announcement by eBay.ca again.  They have conducted an extensive survey early last year showing that listings in Cdn$ is generally favourable to Canadian sellers (except for auto parts).  That is all you need to know..

Message 26 of 47
latest reply

If we can only sell in Canadian dollars. Will we still be billed in USD. That will add 30 percent to our fees.

Message 27 of 47
latest reply

You -  the seller - select the billing currency: US$or Cdn$

You can change the billing currency once a year

" That will add 30 percent to our fees."

If you list in Cdn$, your fees will be slightly lower.  Yes lower fees,

Basic listing fee of US$0.30 (if listing in US$ on eBay.ca or eBay.com) becomes Cdn$ 0.30 if listing in Cdn$ on eBay.ca

There should be no difference on FVF

If you sell for US$100 or Cdn$130 (using current conversion) your fees will be :

9% of US$100 or 9% of Cdn$130 which are about the same

If listing and selling in Cdn$, make sure your billing currency is Cdn$ with the appropriate method of payment (I always recommend a credit card on which your get "rewards" (Air Miles or whatever).

Good Luck

Message 28 of 47
latest reply

One thing I find upsetting, is that when I am redoing my listings on ebay.ca into Canadian funds---- sell similar, then ending the item that was listed in USD, I loose all the "watchers" I had on that item.

I think it would be better if we could just switch currency of the listed item so we can keep the people that have the item in their watch list. 

Yes, it is still in their watch list as "see sellers other items", but if they wanted that particular item, they will think it is no longer available, when in actuality it is, just that now it is listed in Canadian. 

Am I right?

Perhaps instead of a migrating tool in May, ebay.ca could change the currency setting now, so that we could switch the currency in the existing listing to keep the possible sale of that item with the people that have it saved in their watch list..

Message 29 of 47
latest reply

I suspect they haven't completed designing the tool.

And that it will be buggy when they do.

As a Mac user, I am dreading it even more, and doing my transitions now bit by bit.

I'll be moving my FreeShipping/Flat Rate items to dotCOM and keeping the bulky ones that require Calculated Shipping here on dot CA.

I've made a habit of adding a Note to each new listing telling me where it was listed in any case, since I also list for DH who prefers dotCOM listings.

Don't worry too much about the watchers. General opinion is that if they were going to buy, they would buy. I've had a cloak on my Watch List for a few years now, but I'll be deleting it because I found a better one at the SF convention I attended last weekend.

Message 30 of 47
latest reply

Hello,

We sell mostly to US and International buyers.

We tried posting on the US site using Turbo Lister but the listing was blocked because of our Canadian Postal Code.

Message came up in red that our postal code was not correct and to enter the US numeric code.

Could not upload the auctions.

How can this be corrected?

Anyone else have this problem?

We are not in favour of the changes eBay is making.

There was nothing wrong with the way it has been set up in the past.

It was simple and straight forward.

Sellers picked the currency that worked best for them without having to make up some kind of "Flat Rate"

for shipping when you don't know where your item will be going.

As someone else said, "This is frustrating".

Just when you think everything is going along fine, you get the rug pulled out from under you.

Thanks.

Message 31 of 47
latest reply

@gwrocen wrote:

Hello,

We sell mostly to US and International buyers.

We tried posting on the US site using Turbo Lister but the listing was blocked because of our Canadian Postal Code.

Message came up in red that our postal code was not correct and to enter the US numeric code.

Could not upload the auctions.

How can this be corrected?

Anyone else have this problem?

We are not in favour of the changes eBay is making.

There was nothing wrong with the way it has been set up in the past.

It was simple and straight forward.

Sellers picked the currency that worked best for them without having to make up some kind of "Flat Rate"

for shipping when you don't know where your item will be going.

As someone else said, "This is frustrating".

Just when you think everything is going along fine, you get the rug pulled out from under you.

Thanks.

You cannot use Calculated Shipping options on ebay.com because there is only USPS shipping and no Canada Post shipping.

You can use Flat Rate shipping with generic ebay shipping options.

Set up domestic shipping (which is Canada to USA for you in reality) as one of the three "Shipping from outside the USA" options (Expedited, Standard, Economy). Then setup International shipping with two options, one with custom location with Canada only ( this is your domestic Canada to Canada shipping) and another with Worldwide for the rest of the world (this is your. Use generic ebay shipping option Standard Int'l Shipping for both.

For the USA, most shipping options are fixed cost (Letterpost, Light Packet, Small Packet, Tracked Packet) so flat rate shipping will fit well. Larger Parcel that use Expedited Parcel will be ab issue so you need to charge more to cove most locations.

Because you can only use flat rate shipping costs, Canada may be an issue. If the item is thin and light, it can be send Canada Post Lettermail with is a flat rate across Canada. If them item goes by a parcel service, the rate varies a lot across Canada. So you have to charge enough to cover most of Canada, charging more for close locations to offset the occasional location that costs more. You have to get the right costs to come 80 or 90% of locations within Canada. Not a good model.

For other countries worldwide, if the item is thin and light, it can go Lettermail or Light Packet. If bigger, then Small Packet or Tracked packet and these rates vary roughly 10 percent depending on the countries. So you have to choose a shipping cost that covers most.

Message 32 of 47
latest reply

Hello pocomocomputing,

Thanks for your feedback and help on this.

Tried again posting with Turbo Lister but the issue is still the Postal Code.

Still get the red message asking to enter the "numeric zip code" so the up load is blocked.

I have put in the Flat Rate International Shipping, etc.

Don't know where you found the "Shipping from outside the USA" options.

I couldn't see them in TL.

In frustration, I finally went and manually listed one item in US$ on ebay.com.

Didn't ask for the "numeric zip code"  there.

It is a chore and the results are not satisfactory as the flat rate shipping amounts

entered are just guesses.

Hope we will be able to quote correct shipping on the invoice if someone buys the item,

This will be a test case.

Thanks again.

Message 33 of 47
latest reply

Hope we will be able to quote correct shipping on the invoice if someone buys the item,

You have to use the shipping cost that you quoted on the listing, you are not supposed to change it on the invoice so for heavier items you might want to use .ca so that you can use calculated shipping.  I noticed that on the listing that you did on .com you probably used the quick listing tool. You should switch to the advanced listing tool so that you can give a separate shipping cost to Canada vs the rest of the world. You can switch to the advanced listing tool by clicking on the link on the top right of the listing form.

Message 34 of 47
latest reply

@gwrocen wrote:

Hello pocomocomputing,

Thanks for your feedback and help on this.

Tried again posting with Turbo Lister but the issue is still the Postal Code.

Still get the red message asking to enter the "numeric zip code" so the up load is blocked.

I have put in the Flat Rate International Shipping, etc.

Don't know where you found the "Shipping from outside the USA" options.

I couldn't see them in TL.

In frustration, I finally went and manually listed one item in US$ on ebay.com.

Didn't ask for the "numeric zip code"  there.

It is a chore and the results are not satisfactory as the flat rate shipping amounts

entered are just guesses.

This will be a test case.

Thanks again.

As pj mentioned above, you may need to use the advanced tool to see the "Shipping from outside US" options for domestic shipping on ebay.com.

Message 35 of 47
latest reply

The biggest problem is that if you go and list it on ebay.com you can't print postage labels from Canadapost. The only option is shipping through USPS or US mail delivery. This is one of the WORST ideas ebay has ever come up with. This may the time to delete the account.

Message 36 of 47
latest reply

@cpr_2816 wrote:

The biggest problem is that if you go and list it on ebay.com you can't print postage labels from Canada Post. The only option is shipping through USPS or US mail delivery. This is one of the WORST ideas ebay has ever come up with. This may the time to delete the account.

Not true.

As mentioned a few times in this topic and in other topics, you should use generic shipping options on eBay.com since Canada Post shipping options are not available.

When you make a sale on eBay.com, you can still go to PayPal and see the PayPal transaction for that sale and use Canada Post shipping options on the PayPal site.

Message 37 of 47
latest reply

Well I've done it! For the last day I've used the migration tool to move my 56 listings to Ebay.com. It worked in some fashion, I got it on Ebay.com. I noticed however along the way, the computer switched back to .ca at times, I did not understand that. However I got it all listed on .com and then I went back to delete the listings in my Ebay.ca in order to prevent duplicate listings as recommended by the migration tool - and now poof all the work is gone. There is no sight of my listings anywhere, not in my .ca nor on .com. Right now I am in shock and have no idea what to do. 

The only reason I write this, is to warn anyone of you not to delete anything unless you are 100% sure it's not going to wipe out all your listings!

Message 38 of 47
latest reply

I see 56 listings and all are new listings with 29 days and 23 hrs left and all seem to be in US$ on eBay.ca Canada since the shipping options are Canada Post named shipping options Canada Post Lettermail, Canada Post Light Packet USA).

So it seems you relisted on ebay.ca Canada and not ebay.com USA. Or did you relist again on Bay.ca Canada because you had deleted on both sites as you say in your post.

Message 39 of 47
latest reply

I converted to Cdn funds and in some cases added a handling fee to shipping. My first case of a problem sale was on a buy it now offer which I accepted as in US funds that equaled 50%  when converted but buyer accepted and offer was converted to CDN so had to make a counter offer to up the amount which he accepted. 

Message 40 of 47
latest reply