September 25th Weekly Board Hour

Bonjour eBay Canada members!

Moving forward, you'll have a chance to ask questions a few hours in advance. eBay staff will remain available from 1PM - 2PM Eastern to answer questions live as well as catch up on those posted earlier.

Today we've got Rodney, Bryan, Raphael & I - let's get this show on the road!

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Good Afternoon, 

I have a strange situation where a seller won't send me an invoice despite all my requests for one. I did get a response before the problems started and  it was a quote of around $20 for which I'm okay with paying. But when I sent a request for a total invoice to pay including the seller's quote, I got a request to cancel the transaction.

This seller is listed as very willing to ship to Canada; I even got a shipping quote... so what's the problem and why ignore my invoice requests. I did not accept the request to cancel, so now the transaction sits in limbo land. Soon, the seller can launch a 'did not pay' claim which would be  crazy, but hey, so far hasn't been easy street with this seller. 

My thought is that the seller listed too low for an auction and no one else bid against me. I can't control that, but I shouldn't be penalized with embellished shipping costs to make up for the seller's item loss... I could be nasty and leave rotten feedback, but I just want what I won. 

Would appreciate your help, suggestions...

Janet and Paul
Message 2 of 44
latest reply

Curiosity question on eBay messages from using the eBay message system for the past year or so.

If I send a message to a seller through the contact the seller, the message must be 1,000 characters or less.  If I reply from eBay messages, I have up to 2,000 characters.

Why the difference?

Message 3 of 44
latest reply

kalvin, how is your email working now?

I sent an email on an issue on browsing listings on the Apple iPad when not logged in to eBay. I did not receive a reply back yet.

Did you get this email?

Message 4 of 44
latest reply

@thebarterersdog wrote:

Good Afternoon, 

I have a strange situation where a seller won't send me an invoice despite all my requests for one. I did get a response before the problems started and  it was a quote of around $20 for which I'm okay with paying. But when I sent a request for a total invoice to pay including the seller's quote, I got a request to cancel the transaction.

This seller is listed as very willing to ship to Canada; I even got a shipping quote... so what's the problem and why ignore my invoice requests. I did not accept the request to cancel, so now the transaction sits in limbo land. Soon, the seller can launch a 'did not pay' claim which would be  crazy, but hey, so far hasn't been easy street with this seller. 

My thought is that the seller listed too low for an auction and no one else bid against me. I can't control that, but I shouldn't be penalized with embellished shipping costs to make up for the seller's item loss... I could be nasty and leave rotten feedback, but I just want what I won. 

Would appreciate your help, suggestions...

Hi thebarterersdog,

Have you had a chance to give them a call? Sometimes this helps.

You can drop me an email with the item number & see what advice our Customer Support team can provide in this situation. I definitely wouldn't leave negative feedback at this point - let's see what can be done to try & find a amiable resolution.

Thanks, 

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 44
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Curiosity question on eBay messages from using the eBay message system for the past year or so.

If I send a message to a seller through the contact the seller, the message must be 1,000 characters or less.  If I reply from eBay messages, I have up to 2,000 characters.

Why the difference?

Hi pocomocomputing,

I honestly have no idea why the eBay Messages are set up that way. I'll try to find out. For now my best guess would be to accommodate for the original message to be visible below the reply.

Message 6 of 44
latest reply

What happened to the $750 amount for eBay.com Seller Protection? It was there back in early July, 2013 form a quote I posted in a topic back then. The fall 2013 Seller Update made a lot of changes to eBay Seller Protection so I assume it was removed then.

Here is a link to a topic disusing the amount for eBay Seller Protection today in these forums with a copy of the old eBay Seller Protection mentioning the $750 amount that is now gone.

community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Missing-In-Coming-Package-from-the-States/m-p/148701

post 14 is what I am referring to.

Message 7 of 44
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

kalvin, how is your email working now?

I sent an email on an issue on browsing listings on the Apple iPad when not logged in to eBay. I did not receive a reply back yet.

Did you get this email?

Hi pocomocomputing,

Working great, thanks! I've been able to send replies to members since late last week - one of which you replied to 🙂

I don't have an answer for you on that one yet, so I haven't replied. You'll hear from me once I have an update to share.

Thanks, 

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 8 of 44
latest reply

eBay new Forums Ask a question

When you use ask a Question, it gives suggested posts to review. There is no date on the post retrieved so a question brings up years old topics. Many old topics are not relevant today. Even 6 month old posts can be inaccurate (questions on eBay store fees for example since the change may 1st).

I would think that the date be shown as well as a warning to review posts with newer dates (within the last year).

Message 9 of 44
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

When you use ask a Question, it gives suggested posts to review. There is no date on the post retrieved so a question brings up years old topics. Many old topics are not relevant today. Even 6 month old posts can be inaccurate (questions on eBay store fees for example since the change may 1st).

I would think that the date be shown as well as a warning to review posts with newer dates (within the last year).

For example, ask "What are Canada Post rates" and the fourth suggestion is from 2008!

Message 10 of 44
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Great suggestion - I'll put that forward for you.

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 11 of 44
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

What happened to the $750 amount for eBay.com Seller Protection? It was there back in early July, 2013 form a quote I posted in a topic back then. The fall 2013 Seller Update made a lot of changes to eBay Seller Protection so I assume it was removed then.

Here is a link to a topic disusing the amount for eBay Seller Protection today in these forums with a copy of the old eBay Seller Protection mentioning the $750 amount that is now gone.

community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Missing-In-Coming-Package-from-the-States/m-p/148701

post 14 is what I am referring to.

I can still see the $750 mention on the Seller Protection help page you linked to on the other thread:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/seller-protection.html

It's there is you expand the eBay Buyer Protection cases section.

For reference, what this is about is if a seller sells an item for which the total price (item price + shipping + taxes and any other fees charged to the buyer) exceeds $750 and an eBay Buyer Protection case is opened by the buyer for that transaction, the seller will only be protected by eBay if the item was shipped with signature confirmation at delivery.

Message 12 of 44
latest reply

Hi Kalvin! 

Some time ago, I had found (can't recall where) a link that I could use to view my eBay listings as if they were being viewed on a mobile phone.  This was incredibly helpful, and led to my making a number of critical revisions to my listings.  For example, I discovered that mobile viewing "broke up" my listing description/frame and made the photos within it very hard to access.  So I now duplicate my photos in the eBay gallery, which displayed easily on the "virtual" mobile device.  That link has since become defunct.  

I'm wondering if there is a tool or link that you can point us sellers so that we can "preview" how our listings will appear on mobile devices.  It doesn't have to be perfect or even universal, just a sample.  I always feel as if, on the one hand, eBay is telling us to become more attuned to mobile buyers, yet on the other hand I can't seem to find direct, specific assistance for mobile selling.  I'm just struggling in the dark, hoping for the best.  Can you help? 

Message 13 of 44
latest reply

Another curiosity question.

eBay.ca Canada often lags behind eBay.com and other major eBay sites (uk, au) in implementing changes. Other than lack of manpower (personpower to be politically correct, LOL), does the fact that eBay Canada is two sites, eBay.ca English and cafr.eBay.fr French, cause delays in implementing changes. Are both .ca sites kept in sync as far as changes are implemented?

Message 14 of 44
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

It's there is you expand the eBay Buyer Protection cases section.

For reference, what this is about is if a seller sells an item for which the total price (item price + shipping + taxes and any other fees charged to the buyer) exceeds $750 and an eBay Buyer Protection case is opened by the buyer for that transaction, the seller will only be protected by eBay if the item was shipped with signature confirmation at delivery.

So, if I understand what you're saying, this is distinct from the Paypal coverage, which requires signature confirmation for anything above $250.00 US?  

Why are the two so different?  Is it that the Paypal system covers the buyer (for loss, damage, etc., i.e. actual insurance), while the eBay protection covers the seller in the event of an INR case?  Maybe I'm being dense, but I'm confused...

Message 15 of 44
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Hi Kalvin! 

Some time ago, I had found (can't recall where) a link that I could use to view my eBay listings as if they were being viewed on a mobile phone.  This was incredibly helpful, and led to my making a number of critical revisions to my listings.  For example, I discovered that mobile viewing "broke up" my listing description/frame and made the photos within it very hard to access.  So I now duplicate my photos in the eBay gallery, which displayed easily on the "virtual" mobile device.  That link has since become defunct.  

I'm wondering if there is a tool or link that you can point us sellers so that we can "preview" how our listings will appear on mobile devices.  It doesn't have to be perfect or even universal, just a sample.  I always feel as if, on the one hand, eBay is telling us to become more attuned to mobile buyers, yet on the other hand I can't seem to find direct, specific assistance for mobile selling.  I'm just struggling in the dark, hoping for the best.  Can you help? 

Hi rose-dee!

Not aware of such a tool, but I would recommend sticking to plain text descriptions & upload photos in the uploader section. This optimizes the mobile experience for buyers & presents a cleaner look as they view listings. 

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 16 of 44
latest reply

Good morning/afternoon,

A few days ago, a buyer filed a cc chargeback through Paypal for an unauthorized transaction. It was an inexpensive item and there was no tracking or proof of shipment so I did not contest the chargeback. The paypal case has been closed and the buyer refunded.

My question....The buyer had left positive feedback about 10 days after I mailed the item so in my mind, the buyer received the item and was happy with it. Although that info would not be helpful in a chargeback or buyer protection case, I was wondering if there was any point to reporting the buyer through the ebay report link just in case they had a habit of leaving feedback and then filing a chargeback? I know that I wouldn't benefit by doing this but it might give ebay a heads up about the buyer. Or not?

Message 17 of 44
latest reply

The official amount is $750 http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/buyer-protection.html#resolution1

rose-dee

If an eBay.com seller were to accept something beside PayPal, the $750 threshold would apply since cases could only be opened on eBay.

If an eBay.com seller accepts PayPal, it would be prudent to go with the lower, $250 threshold, since a buyer could open the case with PayPal.

Message 18 of 44
latest reply

@2noggins wrote:

The official amount is $750 http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/buyer-protection.html#resolution1

@rose-dee

If an eBay.com seller were to accept something beside PayPal, the $750 threshold would apply since cases could only be opened on eBay.

If an eBay.com seller accepts PayPal, it would be prudent to go with the lower, $250 threshold, since a buyer could open the case with PayPal.

Can I ask the eBay staff here to confirm whether this is accurate?

Message 19 of 44
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

So, if I understand what you're saying, this is distinct from the Paypal coverage, which requires signature confirmation for anything above $250.00 US?  

Why are the two so different?  Is it that the Paypal system covers the buyer (for loss, damage, etc., i.e. actual insurance), while the eBay protection covers the seller in the event of an INR case?  Maybe I'm being dense, but I'm confused...

Hi rose-dee,

Any transaction from which arises a probelm will either be covered under PayPal's Purchase Protection or eBay Buyer Protection, never both. What determines which by program a dispute is handled is what eBay site the item was purchased on. If a buyer goes to eBay.ca to buy an item, that transaction is covered by the PayPal program. If the buyer went to eBay.com, it'll be under eBP.

eBP was launched in 2008 on eBay.com and is a much more involved protection program via which eBay promises a buyer that we will intermediate any dispute arising from a transaction, either for items not as described ot items not received at all. eBP makes the promise to refund a buyer on behalf of a seller and recoup the money from the seller afterwards to ensure a fast and complete resolution of any problem.

On eBay.ca, we are still on the PayPal program for now. That program works very differently, where PayPal only provides a platform for dispute resolution, withoput really participating in the dispute or making decisions as to who is wrong and who is right. This is partly why both programs have very different rules.

Message 20 of 44
latest reply