Ship to different address

2014bixte
Community Member
Hi fellow ebayers!

New ebayer here :-). I want to buy an item, but I don't want the seller to see my house address. Can I get my shipping address to change to my PO Box at the UPS Store but retain my registration address? If so, how?

Thanks! 🙂

Andy
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

You can add another address to your PayPal account and make it the primary address but you need to do so prior to paying for the item. Many sellers in the US, and probably some misinformed sellers in Canada, don't ship to PO boxes so check with the seller first.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

PayPal addresses need to be in Canada which limits its usefulness.

eBay allows for more addresses to be added as shipping addresses. They can be anywhere in the world.  You can enter the second address in eBay and then make it your Primary Shipping address.  By default, the registration address is also you Primary shipping address. They when you go to buy an item, the PO Box address will be used and no issues with PayPal as PayPal will be sent the PO Box address to use.

Just remember that you need to switch back to the other address if you want to use it in the future.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

You can add another address to your PayPal account and make it the primary address but you need to do so prior to paying for the item. Many sellers in the US, and probably some misinformed sellers in Canada, don't ship to PO boxes so check with the seller first.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

PayPal addresses need to be in Canada which limits its usefulness.

eBay allows for more addresses to be added as shipping addresses. They can be anywhere in the world.  You can enter the second address in eBay and then make it your Primary Shipping address.  By default, the registration address is also you Primary shipping address. They when you go to buy an item, the PO Box address will be used and no issues with PayPal as PayPal will be sent the PO Box address to use.

Just remember that you need to switch back to the other address if you want to use it in the future.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

2014bixte
Community Member
Thanks guys! 😉

Andy
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

The seller can still see your house address if they are interested enough to check your ebay contact information but why would they care?

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I'm a little confused.  So, this does mean I can ship to a US address for .com purchases that don't ship to Canada or charge crazy amounts to ship?  I don't mind my address being out there for sellers to see, so much, but if I could ship to a friend in the US have them ship to me in Canada...that would be great!

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Just add that US address to your ebay account and select it at checkout.

To see the US versions of listings, sign out of ebay.ca and into ebay.com, then pick any item and on the payments and postage page, enter your US address zipcode and click 'get rates' 

This will set a cookie that will cause all the items you look at after that that use calculated shipping to show the shipping cost to your US address.  Otherwise you'd normally see 'may not ship to Canada' derived from your IP address.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

ty, afantiques!  What confused me was this, "PayPal addresses need to be in Canada which limits its usefulness."  What's the limit?

So, all my PayPal info is Canadian, one default shipping address but eBay can be different addresses?  I was always under the impression that my shipping address had to match PayPal but middle man US shippers have always been a thing, haven't they?  They are too costly for the stuff I buy though, small inexpensive clothing or fragrance items mostly that don't warrant a fairly expensive service.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

So, all my PayPal info is Canadian, one default shipping address but eBay can be different addresses? 

Yes.

If you select that address when you buy the item the seller will see that address in both ebay and paypal.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply