Shipped using Canada Post, but the package is lost? What to do?

coins_hype
Community Member

Well around a month ago I've shipped a coin to a buyer of mine which cost her around $110, and $15 to ship.

Although the Canada Post workers told me they're unable to find the coin. What do I do?

This is the first time I'm facing an issue such as this. 😐

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

How was it sent? Where? And did you pay for a trackable service?

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

coins_hype
Community Member

The person I sent it to lives 70km from my area, and yes I did get a tracking number.

""2013/03/11   15:09    TORONTO   Item accepted at the Post Office""

That's all that it says when I try tracking it.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

What is the tracking number? Have you called CP and spoken with them? If it hasn't arrived file with Canada Post to get your money back, and refund your buyer.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

coins_hype
Community Member

Tracking # is "0103397000254950" with Canada Post. 
I tried contacting them and waited on the line for over an hour, although I received no response.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

Service: Regular Parcels

Toronto to Burnington

Did you insure the parcel?  Do you still have your receipt?

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

coins hype, If you go to the following page, you will see a link on the bottom of the page that will allow you to ask Canada Post to look into it. Since there is delivery confirmation, it's possible that they will find the package.

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/support/helpcentre/tracking/no_delivery.jsf

If you did buy insurance, I would recommend that you refund the buyer and then wait for Canada Post to investigate.

Assuming the package isn't found, I'm not sure how they handle an undelivered package with no insurance but with delivery confirmation? CP might refund the postage (that's just a guess) but it would obviously be better if the package was found.

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

coins_hype
Community Member

Sadly, I didn't insure the package. I'm guessing I just lost $100.

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

Still ask Canada Post to look into it for you, and let the buyer know you have asked Canada Post to look into it for you. Ask your buyer to comply with any questions Canada Post may have on the delivery of the package.

Perhaps the buyer may discover the package did arrive ; )

Next time, get a venture 1 card, and send packages like this with Expedited, or better yet, print your postage using paypal if you want insurance on it.

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

When I checked earlier, it shows the parcel "in transit" with an expected delivery daye of March 14th

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

It has been my experience that a package with a postal Tracking Number is insured to the tune of $100.  More if you pay for it.  For a sale of that value I spend the money to get a signature at the other end.   Get your butt down to the post office.  i'd wager the buyer wants his purchase more than you want answers.   I hope not though.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

It has been my experience that a package with a postal Tracking Number is insured to the tune of $100.  More if you pay for it.  For a sale of that value I spend the money to get a signature at the other end.   Get your butt down to the post office.  i'd wager the buyer wants his purchase more than you want answers.   I hope not though.

Regular Parcel with tracking number purchased at the post office has no included $100 insurance.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

toff3
Community Member

Coins,

I posted yesterday giving the telephone numbers of a relatively senior manager at Canada Post, who I've found to be more responsive to customers' complaints than most of his colleagues and could probably help you materially. Unfortunately, the ever-watchful eBay Canada Moderation Team deleted my post because it contained a name and contact details.

I believe it would be worth your while to contact Mr X. If you e-mail me, I'll give you his coordinates.

Main thing is, do NOT give up and write this off. Lost mail is a very rare occurrence. Far more likely is that your package has been seriously and mysteriously delayed, which does happen fairly often. 

Checking the tracking info on Canada Post, I find that CP gives an "Expected Delivery" date of 2013/03/14 (3 days after acceptance) but at the same time states that the item is "In Transit" as of 2013/04/10. This, of course, makes no sense but then so do many things at Canada Post.

Keep after Canada Post until you get satisfaction

Good luck!

Tom 

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

coins_hype
Community Member

PM'd you, thanks for offering the support. 

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

Canada Post (and most first world postal services) rarely actually lose packages. They may be delayed, but based on over 25 years of mail order selling, actual loss is very rare.

Keep in touch with your customer. Give her the Canada Post number. Ask her to talk to all her family members. If she knowher postie, talk to him about it. She should to the local Postal Outlet and ask if it is being held there. 

As stated above, make sure she understands that you have put a trace on the parcel and she may get some questions from postal authorities. 

Amazingly, when customers learn that the PO is looking into a "lost" parcel, it often appears mysteriously.  Must be a part of Murphy's Law. 

Message 15 of 31
latest reply

My understanding is that lost parcels is a rare occurence. Something else has to happen. I have found that CN22 labels do not adhere well. Since I started taping them on, the incidence of missing parcels has gone down.

I "think" the PO gets blamed when the shipper is at fault. The PO also gets blamed when the buyer is a liar, but, that is a different discussion.

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

My loss rate for (receiving) packages, domestic and international  is precisely 0%.   And I'm talking a lot of packages.  

Lots of different venues, especially numerous baby sites the past couple of years, and they're mostly in the  US.   No issues, except one lampe berger broken due to faulty pkg'ng, and replaced by seller immediately.  (returned the rattling box without even opening it)

I opt out of insurance when possible; absolutely no value to me ( or seller).

i had to put in a claim for a missing parcel that I shipped a couple of years ago, but the delayed-somewhere Christmas gift did eventually make its way to Georgia before anything ever came of my  claim.

So, my success rate for both receiving and shipping .. 'many' packages is locked on 100%.

(which means I need to go immediately to pray to the goddess of Murphy's Law for continued success  in case I've  just jinxed myself 😉

Beware of kittens with red bows, bullies in bandannas, and whining broken records.

€ Lucifleur

~Lucifleur
Message 17 of 31
latest reply

ninth89
Community Member

I wonder, does eBay keep track of customers/buyers who claim lost parcels or item not received? 

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

"does eBay keep track of customers/buyers who claim lost parcels or item not received? "

PayPal does keep track of ALL claims made by buyers.

At one time, up until about seven years ago, buyers had a relatively low limit to the number of claims they could make in any given year. That rule was deemed illegal and removed from the Terms of Use.  PayPal still keeps an eye for possible scammers and will revoke membership when deemed appropriate.

Respecting everyone's right to privacy, even the scammers, all information is kept confidential and never made public unless ordered by a court order.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

I'm just going through the same issue, though not from an eBay transaction, but using Canada Post and PayPal nonetheless.

I had ordered a few items through a website and patiently waited for a good month (shipped from the Orient, but on a rush) until I felt some agitation. So, I decided to run the tracking number through Canada Post's online tracker. Surprise, surprise... the package was a couple of weeks behind the delivery date. The item was received in Canada and then processed in the city postal facility, then 'disappeared'.

What a bloody hassle to get a human from Canada Post on the phone to describe in person the details that I had in order to speed up the delivery. Oh no, not good enough. I wasted a whole lot of time chatting with a postal person who said they were going to put a push on things over a week ago. Today, I simply got a PDF file in an email from Canada Post telling me that "I" have to contact the seller to contact their shipper to contact Canada Post. Umm, I didn't lose the package and neither did the seller nor their shipper!

What a joke. The package is probably all full of dust in some corner of the postal outlet because some clerk misplaced it. Gee, great customer service!

Message 20 of 31
latest reply