Shipping calculator options

Hi,

Question for other Canadian sellers using the shipping calculator:

Do the majority of your customers select the default shipping option on the list irregardless of price?

It has been happening quite regularly where if the USA small/tracked packet option is the first on the list, my customers will simply submit payment.  The issue is often arising that when customers are ordering multiple items, they will pay (~$100+) shipping for 6 small/tracked packet boxes instead of paying (~$30) 1 larger expedited parcel.  This is happening when the weight of combined items exceeds the 2.1lb limit.  

Both shipping options should be made available to the buyer at checkout, and you would think that most people would want the faster / less expensive option.  However I am finding that most customers do not change the default option.  They simply submit payment even if the shipping cost is double or triple the amount.  You can't expect everybody to be familiar with the eBay checkout procedure or with the Canada-post options, but I also wouldn't expect that this would happen so often.

It would be ideal if I could hide a shipping option if the total box weight exceeded the weight limit.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

The eBay shipping calculator is stupid, it's creators are mostly incompetent.

The US calculator has the same problem combining USPS First Class items that weigh over the 13oz limit.

In any event I just looked at one of your listings, I have absolutely no idea why you would offer all those options, it's pointless really. You don't need to give buyers a choice, the only ones who pay more than the lowest possible will have expectations you are not likely to be able to meet.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

I agree.

Don't give the customer the choice on shipping.

If he wants a higher level of service, and is willing to pay, let him suggest it.

If you are satisfied with the service given by Expedited Parcel and can afford to offer it as Free Shipping, go with that.

Especially with high value items.

You may also want to look into third party insurance. I have seen many posters speak well of shipinsurance, although I have not used it myself.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply