Shipping from Canada to USA HS Code and customs

Hello I am new to these forums and first want to say that I don't know proper eBay forum etiquette, if there is any. My question is how do we find HS code and what do we put for the value we are sending over to USA? Should the value be based on what the cost price is or the selling price? And what is the reason behind putting a cost to send over, will they get charged customs if we sell products that cost around $20? How much would they get charged if it was $100+?
Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You can look up the codes here:

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/wtz/business/findHsCode?execution=e1s5

Declared value should be the selling price. The official US free limit is US$200, in actuality for items sent by mail from Canada it extremely rare for a package to be charged duty or require full customs processing if the value is below $2500. Shipments sent by private carrier (UPS / FedEx) always require a formal customs entry if the value is US$200 or more.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

You can look up the codes here:

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/wtz/business/findHsCode?execution=e1s5

Declared value should be the selling price. The official US free limit is US$200, in actuality for items sent by mail from Canada it extremely rare for a package to be charged duty or require full customs processing if the value is below $2500. Shipments sent by private carrier (UPS / FedEx) always require a formal customs entry if the value is US$200 or more.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 2
latest reply