Shipping to Austrailia

carkatscloset
Community Member
I wander if anyone can give me some advice. I shipped $200.00 worth of product to a lady in Austrailia, I am in Canada, and when I went to the post office, I just trust they will tell me the best way to ship my parcels. Well turns out, it went surface with no tracking number. I have made numerous calls to Candada Post and they insure me that sometimes items can take 10-12 weeks to get from Canada to Austrailia. This lady wants a refund, but purchased no insurance, I am really scared that she is going to leave me bad feedback, but it has only been 7 weeks. Any thoughts or ideas??
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Shipping to Austrailia

Don't let misinformed postal clerks make your business decisions.

Surface to Australia will take easily 12 weeks and possibly longer. The only thing you can do is communicate with your buyer and hope they understand. Presuming you only charged them for shipping in line with what you paid you might ask that they accept a refund and repay if/when the package does arrive (which it eventually should).

Insurance is to protect sellers, buyers don't need insurance especially if they pay with PayPal.
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Shipping to Austrailia

carkatscloset
Community Member
Thanks so much for your reply, I actually didn't even charge her shipping charges, as she bought quite a bit of my product from me so I offered her a shipping discount.

Even though I don't have a tracking number will Paypal insure this?
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Shipping to Austrailia

Even though I don't have a tracking number will Paypal insure this?

I have no idea what you mean by this.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Shipping to Austrailia

jakeeangel
Community Member
If the buyer makes a claim with PayPal you will lose. You will lose for several reasons. Australians do not have confirmed addresses. Only US, Canada and UK addresses do. To meet SPP you have to ship to a confirmed address with online tracking within a certain time period plus a few other things.

If you don't meet all the requirements, you lose. You will lose because Australia doesn't have confirmed addresses and you have no tracking number.

As already stated, never let some postal rep tell you how to send a package. Learn the options and costs before you go to the post office. Shipping to Australia can take 4 months or more and that's not counting any hold time imposed by the customs office.

Sorry.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Shipping to Austrailia

bestshowtime
Community Member
I have made numerous calls to Candada Post and they insure me that sometimes items can take 10-12 weeks to get from Canada to Austrailia.
Never do that! Canada post prices are so expensive to ship to Australia that you option is just send by airmail small package with insurance just $100. Before you send it, be sure that buyers agree for this option or offer him shipping with insurance but it will cost him around $100.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Shipping to Austrailia

sunshine2426
Community Member
I've shipped there many times by small packet air and they got it within 2 weeks.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Shipping to Austrailia

Jakeeangel is right, unfortunately you'll have to chalk this one up as a learning experience and hopefully you can handle the $200 hit.

You'll have to refund them because it was your mistake. But I would try this. Explain to them that you are still learning about selling on ebay and you made an honest mistake. Then I would continue and word it something like this...

"If it's not too much trouble I hope that you'll see it to be kind enough to pay me once the items do arrive. It is difficult for me to lose $200 on this transaction. However if you chose not to pay me, it's ok I understand, as it was my mistake. Thanks again for your business."

If this person has a heart, it's possible you might get some or all of the money back eventually.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Shipping to Austrailia

How exactly was it shipped? Many Canada Post products automatically include insurance up to $100. However, CP probably will not look at a claim until the item has been missing for at least 3 months.

Your best option is to explain to your buyer that surface shipping takes 10-12 weeks, but that as a gesture of good faith you will refund half of her money now with the understanding that she will re-submit the payment when the parcel shows up. If she never does re-pay, claim with CP for the $100 maximum. As far as a Paypal chargeback goes, the buyer must start the claim within 45 days and is probably over that time limit now.

Ann
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Shipping to Austrailia

zawe123
Community Member
i did the same with canada post now i ship registered mail canada post is'nt the greatest they are very bossy and have tried to tell me how to send as well i just let them know i'm the one sending the item.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply