Shipping

Hi, I bought items a few weeks ago and when I received the items I was charged an extra $280 for taxes, the seller sent it thru UPS. Now I bought items again from the same seller and I asked if they could use the Global Shipping Program so I will not be surprised and pay again when I received the items, they tried to use the Global Shipping Progam but they are having a hard time to figure things out. Hope you can help. Thanks

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Shipping

How bulky is the item?

The big difference between GPS and USPS/CanadaPost shipping is that the service charges are different. This also applies to UPS/FedEx shipping.

The Duty you are charged is the same. Note, however, that inexpensive (under $100 or so) and small items are often bypassed by CBSA on the basis that the amount collected will be less than the labour costs of collecting.

The sales taxes you are charged are the same. Five percent to 17% of the declared value depending on your province.

GSP charges about $5 service charge.

Canada Post charges about $10.

Courier's 'customs brokerage' charges start around $25 and go up with the value of the item.

If your seller is having difficulty with GSP, have him consider using the postal system. Fun fact, if you live in a remote or rural area, there is a good chance that the courier will subcontract delivery to Canada Post. Which is generally what the GSP does.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply