Should I credit shipping

sjspicketfence
Community Member
Hi, all. I shipped a ladder off and this is my first damaged item. I have shipped about 24 of these and never had any problems. i was going to credit the items of shipping, but she wants the shipping credited too? Do you think I should credit shipping?
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Should I credit shipping

deltone
Community Member
Yes, I would credit the shipping as well. Some would disagree, but I think you need to make the buyer "whole". Now, did the buyer send you a picture or return the ladder? It does get sticky since you don't want to just let her keep the ladder and not pay, but at the same time you'd have to pay to have her ship it back to you so it can get expensive. The joys of selling on ebay "eh"!!
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Should I credit shipping

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
Two things . You will have to refund the shipping unless you stated in the auction . If the damaged we refund the cost of the item only.

Asking for a picture is fair , however once again unless stated in the auction . Review my shipping terms in my auctions ...I have learned the hard way
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Should I credit shipping

brybry_guy
Community Member
You have to think about customer satisfaction, if the ladder was damaged when the customer received it, the customer is already upset. Squabbling over shipping is only going to make the customer more dissatisfied. Consider this part of your goodwill advertizing budget.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Should I credit shipping

firedept10
Community Member
My view is this. I will refund fully including shipping if my fault or damaged. Even though I state I will not in my auctions. That just protects me. But then there is this scenario. I have had a buyer make up a story of damage and not found the same damage they stated when returned to me. It was a matter of bidders remorse which she eventually admitted. I refunded only the purchase price and believe it or not she actually gave me positively glowing feedback. So you need to use your discretion in these matters. If you do not want to pay the reverse shipping charges because they are to high then ask for a photo, check the damage and fully refund. It was not your customers fault that it arrived damaged.

Don
Message 5 of 5
latest reply