Should I? or should I not?

toshparts
Community Member
Hi Guys,

I am thinking of getting the Paypal Mastercard Debit card. Any advice? should I go for it? Anything good about it? Anything bad?

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

deltone
Community Member
Hello toshparts

I have the Debit card and to be honest with you, I find it great. I normally remove all of my money from Paypal as it comes in, but when I know if my husband or I are going to be going to the US, I leave some money in there. I've used it for two trips now with no problems. It's great because it can be used as either a debit or credit card, and if you use it as a credit card you get a small percentage back but it does add up. I use it to pay my Ebay charges and I get a percentage back on that too. I for one like it and am glad I got it. I've not had any bad experiences but I've heard that some people found if they "over" used it that it sets up a red flag and it might be frozen until the owner contacts Paypal and confirms that they are the one using it. This happens with other cards though..........I've had it happen with my Bank of America one.......I used it so much in Texas that they contacted my husband up here to make sure it hadn't been stolen! LOL Anyhow, I say go for it! GOOD LUCK
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
I can't disagree with much that deltone has said, but I happen to be one of the people that got stung by PayPal security and would caution you about their nasty little penchant for putting a block on the use of the card without mentioning it or contacting you.

It's all well and good to have it available to access your PayPal balance without the normal withdrawal difficulties but just don't find yourself (like me) in a position where you needed to access a large amount of cash from the account without a backup.

I found myself fumbling to come up with an alternate form of payment for goods (in the offices of a major supplier) when I learned that security had pulled the plug on mine several days earlier without even an email to warn me.

PayPal security is a third party that oversees the activity of many bank cards but they have express instructions from PayPal not to contact their customers in Canada (by phone or email).

PayPal Security's reason for pulling the plug - I had made several large purchases the previous week and it was done as a precautionary measure.

I use it exclusively to pay my eBay fees once I had them switched to USD from CAD. Remember, you will also suffer PayPal's crummy exchange rate if you use the card in Canada for purchases in CAD.

Bill

Bill

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
Bill
PayPal security is a third party that oversees the activity of many bank cards but they have express instructions from PayPal not to contact their customers in Canada (by phone or email).
http://forums.ebay.ca/thread.jsp?forum=44&thread=100005204&message=100100567&q=#100100567
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
use it exclusively to pay my eBay fees once I had them switched to USD from CAD. Remember, you will also suffer PayPal's crummy exchange rate if you use the card in Canada for purchases in CAD

I have a paypal Rep , I have called him a few times and he was the one whom commented that if you used the card as a credit card . That the exchange rate is set by Mastercard not paypal

This is why I swipe the paypal card on our own Terminal in our office to get the funds into our Business account faster and at a better exchange rate (short from opening american account )
Todd
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Todd, you've made these comments before and it appears, then, that PayPal security and my PayPal rep have out-and-out lied to me about PayPal's third party security's ability to call Canadian customers when they put a freeze on a card. I know full well what I was told and that fact that you may or may not have received calls from them is a non-issue for me.

From my past experience (and if that is really the case), it then appears that MasterCard's exchange rate is really no better than PayPal's. Thanks, but I much prefer the advantageous rate I get from TD Waterhouse over either of those.

"This is why I swipe the paypal card on our own Terminal in our office to get the funds into our Business account faster"

Yes, but, for the life of me, I can't see how that would benefit the vast majority of PS'ers that don't have their own merchant accounts.

Todd, the original post was asking for opinions on the value of getting the PayPal debit card - good or bad. Generally I have only found it useful to me to pay my eBay fees after the episode that I had. That was my posting.

Bill

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
I use the Paypal card for US purchases only. Ebay fees, etc. The 1.5% back is nice.

If you charge for Canadian goods though, don't count on any advantage. I am skeptical about Mastercard setting the exchange rate. I have a US Bank account with a Mastercard/debit card. I made two identical purchases ($20.00 gas) within seconds of each other. Paypal took more in US funds. Even with the 1.5% factored in, it still cost more for that $20.00 using Paypal. I stopped using it for Cdn purchases.

So do your own research to decide if it works for you. It is no secret Paypal loves to convert your money so they can pocket huge profits.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply