Should sellers be re compensated for their refund if late shipments arrive?

myah1882
Community Member

Hey guys,

So as the question states, should buyers be re compensated for their refund if late shipments arrive? Now, I have purchased a few items that had specifically stated that delivery time was between 15 and 35 days, so I wait. It has passed 35 days and I ask for a refund. The seller agrees but wants me to pay back if the item does eventually arrive AND leave good feedback. Here are my issues with this.

- I waited for the time advertised, it is not my fault that the item is late.

- Just because the seller has shipped the item, doesn't mean he is off the hook. Just because you have already finished a 10 page essay, it means nothing if you hand it in past the due date.

-Not only do they want me to pay back if it does arrive, they wan't me to leave good feedback.

The way I see it, I would agree to two solutions. A full refund with a partial re compensation if the item does arrive depending on how long it takes, but I definitely wouldn't pay for more than half it was sold at. A re-send with no return of the first item that was sent even if it does arrive. 

I honestly do not believe it is fair for sellers to be let of the hook just because shipments arrive late. If they know the shipping sucks, state a longer shipping time (I probably wouldn't buy then), or find a new shipping company. Saying that 'its the shipper's fault', isn't going to help the business any, especially if it keeps happening.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

No. Buyers should not be compensated if the item doesn't arrive when expected. You have up to 45 days to file an item not received dispute. If you must file one and get a full refund, you are back where you started. You have not suffered a loss and should not be compensated.

You can't keep the item and the money. That's called stealing. If the item arrives after you have been refunded, you need to pay for it again.

Unless you are making international purchases, I find it hard to believe you are encountering items arriving after 30 days on a frequent basis.

Please be aware that delivery times are estimates as stated in the listing such as "Delivery: Estimated within 2 - 8 business days."

If you were a seller and had refunded a buyer, would you want them to keep the item free of charge if it arrived after you refunded them?

Non paying buyers deserve unpaid item strikes.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

myah1882
Community Member

Sorry, I meant seller, not buyer, that was a typo.

I understand and somewhat agree with your points. I am actually getting quite a lot of unusually late shipments, I have around 3 that came in over 30 days late and one that still hasn't shown up. Relative to the amount of purchases I have made, it is quite a bit.

Like I said, I would refund the seller if the item arrived, but not the whole price. Providing estimates of delivery that are way off is also fraud. I take shipping time into account when I purchase things, I have a schedule too and I can't sit around for a month. Whatever max amount of time it states that I should wait is the maximum amount of time I will wait until I take action. If I had wanted to claim a dispute and end up where I started, I wouldn't even have bought the item.

What people fail to see is that in this whole process, the people getting the lower end of the stick are the buyers and sellers. I feel that some sort of system should be implemented in the paying system to hold the shipping company viable, at least during the transition time. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

A while ago I made a purchase. The shipping time was what I believe is the maximum ebay allows, which is I believe 30 or 45 days.
I waited that time, right until the very end, and then started a claim as I still did not have the package.

Next I got my money back as usual, and I spoke with the seller out of china who I had made the purchase from originally, and stated with him that I would be happy to pay him if the item does in fact arrived. A week later I receive an email from the seller (Received to my business email) About how much was due and to pay the fee immediately when the package was delivered. I responded stating I realize and I have not forgotten, I them prompted the seller stating that I would contact them upon its arrival, no need for them to contact me again.

The next day, another email. I let this one slide and figured maybe they sent it before they had a chance to look at my previous one. Two days later, and I receive yet another email. By this point I was frustrated with the harassment, and responded back saying I did not want any more spam coming from them to my business email, and that I would promptly contact them if the package ever did arrive. A few more days, and another email... then again.. then again. About two weeks in I sent a response back stating that if they continued to spam me I would not contact them any further about the matter. This went on for three and a half months! Ever few days receiving a spam email, to this very day. Just last week I finally did receive the item, almost four and a half months from the initial date of sale.

To me this was wrong. It was extremely bad practice from the seller, was frustrating and if I were a first time ebay user I would be very turned away by it. In the past, I have in fact paid in full the amount of goods to sellers, as I know myself what it feels like to be ripped off by people hidden away behind a screen. I do not condone this harassment however.

I guess I just came on here to get some assurance as to what to do in this situation. I'm skeptical that the seller even had the items in stock to begin with, and instead just waited a few months until they did, and then at that time actually shipped the product.

I mean, over 4 months after your purchase date is a bit ridiculous no?
Anyway, rant over. If anyone has any feedback as to how to handle situations like this better or any critique/things I did right please let me know! Both for me and for future readers of this post's use!

Message 4 of 4
latest reply