Sneaky little change by eBay?

One of the things I wish eBay would stop doing is changing things quietly in the background that may matter to sellers without any announcement or notice.  You wake up one day and wonder why a feature you liked using is either gone, or completely different.  Surely they could list these changes somewhere on a seller update page?

In particular, I've noticed recently that store promotion boxes (the custom ones) can no longer be edited using standard text editing.  Now you need to know HTML to be able to get something other than plain vanilla in the text area.  This is a very recent change, and I'm rather unhappy about it.  Take a look at my store home page and you'll see the difference -- the left-hand box is an older one I set up myself; the right-hand box is the one-size-fits-all version. 

One of the things I most like (liked) about having a store was the ability to communicate to my buyers with banners/promotion boxes that I designed myself.  It used to be possible to be creative and to do it simply and easily.  Not anymore.  Apparently now you only get whatever font you choose for your SYI form, unless you happen to have a degree in computer programming and can handle HTML-speak. 

I've noticed that standard editing has also disappeared from some other store customizing features -- when you go back to re-use an older promotion box or custom page for example, they are only shown in HTML.  Crikey, I'm not even sure what "HTML" stands for; I certainly can't tackle trying to compose with it.

EBay didn't explain or announce this that I'm aware of -- I guess I'm the announcement ... RIP easy and simple custom boxes. Woman Sad

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

To be honest, I do find the right promo box a lot easier to read with simple text than the left one with the larger font and colors - too busy, hard on the eyes.

But the left promo does stand out and makes me look at it but not necessarily will I read it.

As for the changes, is it possible it is browser related? What browser are you using. Internet explorer often has issues with ebay.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

It never occurred to me that it could be browser-related, although I somehow don't think so because the "tab" that used to say "Standard" above the editing box is gone.  Oh well.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Internet explorer 9 and up would have issues with the standard tab not showing in the SYI form. But it was fixed. This was months ago. Only ie, not other browsers.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I use Chrome and have noticed the same annoying change too.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

rose-dee,  I'm using IE10, and all the options for font size, bold, italic,  etc are showing.

This may be just your browser or something, not ebay (for a change, hehe)

Here's a screenshot, are you seeing the same?

screen.JPG

Message 6 of 6
latest reply