Storage your inventory?

zaxi7
Community Member

I sell a small amount of items and have lots more on the to-do-list but I'm finding the storage of the inventory, boxes packing materials  becoming messy. My question is:

• do you store your item packed/boxed ready to go? I do since it keeps my shipping cost the same as the listing
  • do you store items unpacked and deal with finding box size/packing materials after item was won? If so how to you deal with shipping cost variation?
  • what are your tips regarding your method of storage?

thanks

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Storage your inventory?

I pack and ship once sold. The item might never sell and I don't want to do it ahead plus there may be combined shipping if the buyer buys multiple items.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Storage your inventory?

I estimate a shipping rate and ship for that much. If someone buys multiple items I invoice with reduced shipping.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Storage your inventory?

ok good to know  thanks.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Storage your inventory?

73rhc
Community Member
I am a small and sporadic seller. So this is my MO. Firstly, I only use recycled material. All of my boxes are either from the dollar store or local drug store. I break them down to store, usually sorted by size. I can sometimes find clean bubble wrap ,as well. If not, I will buy. I also use crumpled newsprint for shock absorbtion.

I never prepack my items. I find it take too much real estate. When I list, I find my box. Measure and weight with item and packing materials. So I can input the info for shipping cost. The item then goes on a shelf with the flattened box. Then hope the items sells.

For some items, I have to admit that out of laziness, I guestamate the shipping cost. And input for fixed price shipping.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Storage your inventory?

Sporadic or not does not make much difference. I sell more, but, I have a lot more listed, still the same concerns. I use bubble mailers and I am an expert box maker. I have sheet cardboard that I use.

Custom fit boxes control packaging and weight.

I assign everything an inventory number and put in a bin. If and when it sells I pull it out and package it.

Like 73 says, prepack takes up a whole lot of space.
Photobucket
Message 6 of 6
latest reply