Store Listing Final Price start to sink in....

Just looking at my invoice, i have two customers bought a store item for $18 and my final fee is $1.44 each.
Another customer bought the same item on a fixed price listing for the same price and my final fee is $0.95.
That's 50% more (0.95 x 1.5)! Holy smoke...
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

sunset_sports_cards
Community Member
Which is why I closed my store. I did some advance calculations when the fee hike hit and that is what I found it to be....no more good. As Malcolm had stated numerous times, the profitable E-Bay days are long gone.:-(
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

audioshack
Community Member
It may have more to do with how the buyers found their way to your store to make the purchase. eBay does rebate some of the final value fees back if buyers find their way to your store listings from off site.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Off sites search is 1 in a million... And you're doing all the work so why not have your own site without the link to Ebay(just so you save a few pennies)... Makes to sense.
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
I closed my store about a month ago. I opened a web site. It cost me $100 Cdn per year, and works great. I just did my income taxes and discovered I paid $5000.00 Cdn in ebay fees last year. I may not sell quite as much this year, but what I do sell will take less work, be less risky, and more profitable.

Paypal is next to go.

Rob
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

I've read that store volume has actually increased because of the size of the rest of the fees. There are just no good options left on eBay.
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

audioshack
Community Member
First off, I am as unhappy about fees increases as everyone. I have watched my bottomline continue to erode while eBay, PayPal and CanadaPost all declare record profits.

Having said that, I believe I may have finally been given a clear reason for the stores increase as well as the semmingly high prices for a number of features. At the recent "On the Road" I had an opportunity to chat with several staffers about a number of issues. Like everyone else, I am directly affected by fee increases. The recent Stores increases have impacted my seriously (I have two).

Prior to the increase in February, eBay was becoming a massive sea of stores. Everyone and his brother had an eBay store which was not the original intent. Stores were originally meant to showcase higher volume sellers and offer them a way to create branding for themselves. Unfortunately, if everyone has a store there is little to differentiate the larger sellers from the marginal sellers.

The only way to weed stores is with price. That is exactly what happened. The increase forced a lot of marginal stores to close while the larger volume sellers have stayed. It is not meant to be a feature for every seller on eBay. I have to admit that I always did consider it a little strange that there were so many stores with only three or four items in them.

The same holds true with many listing features. Border is a good example. When viewed on an items search page, one or two items will stand out from the rest because of Border. If the feature was only a nickel it may well happen that everyone buys the feature. Now imagine the same search page where that happens. Auctions no longer would stand out. The Border "Feature" would now look more like a page design element. The feature no longer stands out from the rest. That is what features are supposed to do - stand out from the rest.

In eBay's eyes the only practical way to keep a "feature" as something that stands out from the rest is by pricing it so that only a few will consider it. When some of the increases are looked at from this approach there may be some validity.

In some ways the increases might be viewed as dues that must be paid to join an exclusive golf club. You can pay the same low price as everyone else and play on a local public course or, for those who can afford or justify it, you can join an exclusive club and enjoy the added benefits that will come along with it.

I may be unhappy about the increases, but I do confess that, with this explanation, I now also have a better understanding of why some features are pricing the way they are.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Well, if that's the explanation for the fee increases, how sad it is for them that it didn't work. All they did was make a big pile of money. While 7000 store closures may sound like a large number to us it's the proverbial drop in the bucket to eBay. Most stores, by a long shot, stayed right where they were. If weeding out the large number of stores was the desired affect then making it a PS only benefit would actually work. They just wouldn't make their big pile of money. Their explanation would be far more credible if it wasn't for this one small thing - it didn't even come close to working.

The border feature would be the only feature for which this explanation works and, if I'm not mistaken, the cost of the border feature didn't increase.

The gallery cost increased dramatically, for example, but in my view this feature should have always been free. This feature increases the efficacy of sales for everyone and more frequent final value fees should be the desired result.

What an enlightening explanation! I'm not being screwed out of my livlihood - I'm being granted exclusive luxuries similar to that of a country club. How lucky we are that eBay is so gracious!

The fee increases are based on raw greed. Any other explanation is a fabrication even if it's contrived as a sincere cloak to make the creators feel less glutenous about themselves.
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

iburk
Community Member
The only way to weed stores is with price. That is exactly what happened. The increase forced a lot of marginal stores to close while the larger volume sellers have stayed. It is not meant to be a feature for every seller on eBay. I have to admit that I always did consider it a little strange that there were so many stores with only three or four items in them

eBay has put a nice spin on this ... but it makes no sense. Why would any organization care if someone is willing to shell out $10 a month to have 3 or 4 items take up a few bytes on their hard drives? And why would any buyer care how many items a seller has in their store so long they have what they are looking for?

I have an eBay store on another ID - about 800 unique items. It is sellers like me that really have to look at the financial implications of eBay's new found vibrancy. I did a three month listing before the fees went up ... it's over in June sometime ... might go another month - but then thats it. Goodbye eBay store.

Guess I'm a public course golfer - somehow that ice cold water coming out of the free cooler tastes a little better than a $5 luke warm bottle of water.
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Someone had too many coffee/beer with ebay staff:-)

I was looking more closely at my bill and observed that the final price on store listed item cost me almost 2x more than auction listings; a $400 item now cost me $21, add to that the paypal fee and they made more money than i do while i am doing all the work with listing, ordering, packing, answer emails, tide up capitals & space, worrying, etc.

i have to agree with many PS here that their business modeling is totally fault and their motive is purely self-interest.

i'll follow the wise steps of many PS to set up my own site and close my store soon.
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

One thing that I regret is that these fee increases seem have turned me to become an angry, resentful, sarcastic S.O.B. I used to consider myself easygoing and goodnatured.

I've also wondered whether some form of protest could show up at San Jose. While power sellers have, so far, demonstrated little capacity to organize, Americans can be an emotional bunch.

I've also wondered, in passing, if there haven't been some more severe results of these rate increases that we'd be unlikely to hear about. While I genuinely sympathize with the single mothers et al, that I've read about, who've lost their incomes I know that men, psychologically speaking, are more conclusion-oriented and have their self-esteem more wrapped up in their livelihood. God knows that stock market crashes,loss of jobs, etc. have caused men to take their lives before. I wonder whether these gracious, new, exclusive benefits bestowed by eBay's wise visionary market force overseers have left any bodies among their now-useless eBay inventory?

Having a Cheerful Day,
Marty
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

For those who've created their own new web sites Google may offer oportunities for money-better-spent:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7B4DB87592-A760-43ED-8FE3-9D0CCDD219AD%7D&siteid=google
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

That's a great link. I have been using their adwords for a while now and this "site targeting" is very interesting. My google ad was showing up in one of the site i read very often and i was wondering how it got there 🙂 now i know.

Can anyone suggest an easiest program to do simple webpages? i bought frontpage 2001 many years ago but never used it because of complexity and no one supported the tag on frontpage at the time. Cheap hosting companies suggestion is also welcomed 🙂
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I design all my ads in Frontpage but wonder how to go about adding a shopping cart feature?
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

iburk
Community Member
Mal's eCommerce is a good cheap cart solution (depending on the number of items that you have).

Those of you that are new to carts might want to check out Sold V ( timbercreeksoftware-com ) ... I haven't used them ... I have to many products to manually update. But these guys tie into ebay auctions also. Might be a cheap easy way to get your feet wet (cheap is relative, but I figure most folks would sooner focus on their business than to learn computers). They also support their products - which you don't find with the "free" carts. BTW - they use an open source product called OSCommerce. Once you have your store setup you can pretty well move it anywhere.

OSCommerce also has contributions for a wide selection of payment processors including Beanstream. I mention them because they are associated with the TD bank, and if you are a Chamber member you get an attractive discount rate (at least the BC Chambers have this). TD also has a cart system (tied with Beanstream) that some may want to look at - I didn't have any interest because it didn't support bulk uploading from a csv.
Message 15 of 19
latest reply

llee2
Community Member
Systmagic,

Shopping carts can be found here for $29.99/month and up.

http://www.marketerschoice.com/

Lincoln
Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Thanks!

I've cut and saved your cart suggestions for future reference. I used to be a Chamber member in New Westminster but, last year, moved to Burnaby and I don't think that they have one here - I believe desirous Burnaby businesses usually join the Vancouver Board of Trade. Nonetheless, with the amount of business I'm doing now it'd be pretentious to join.
Message 17 of 19
latest reply

iburk
Community Member
systemagic,

You don't have to live or have an office in the the district to be a member. I'm in Delta and picked Delta because it was a little easier for me. I could have joined Cloverdale (the cheapest) and had the same benefits. The reason it doesn't matter is that we do no business locally anyway. If you are self-employed, joining any Chamber can give you additional benefits like group medical, gas, phone, etc discounts.
Message 18 of 19
latest reply

iburk
Community Member
BTW - Went into the Delta Chamber a couple of months ago to pay my dues. The last time I went in was about 14 months before that. The gals recognized me and starting talking about what I was doing. I couldn't believe it ... if you held a gun to my head and asked me where I know them from ... you would have to shoot me.
Message 19 of 19
latest reply