StormPay

catseye*
Community Member
A customer just took it upon herself to pay me with StormPay.

Anyone know anything about it?

Looks like they'd have to mail me a check, and the transaction fee is quite expensive (6.9% +69cents).

*JMHO* - to be taken with a grain of salt!
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

StormPay

funkywatch_com
Community Member
StormPay?

Never heard of them!
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

StormPay

funkywatch_com
Community Member
From their website...

StormPay.com
1690 Golf Club Lane
Clarksville, TN 37043

Company
StormPay Inc. is an online payment system, which allows anyone with an email address to send or receive payments. Founded in October, 2002, StormPay Inc. has quickly become an Internet leader in online payment processing by offering customers and vendors alike, a safe and secure method to do financial transactions across the Internet, while reducing the risk of exposing your financial information.

Services
StormPay's system is very much like an online checking account. The account can be used to send or receive funds for online purchases or charity donations, etc. After funding their account, the customer has the ability to send funds to any recipient with an email address. Most "deposit" options are instant, allowing the customer to immediately make a payment for an online product, service, or subscription. Customers may deposit funds into their StormPay accounts via credit card, online check, or Money Orders.
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

StormPay

funkywatch_com
Community Member
Amazing!

They take fees from BOTH sender and receiver of the payment!!!

Better make sure Paypal doesn't hear 😉
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

StormPay

According to ebay's policy on safe payments, it appears that Sellers are not allowed to offer StormPay as a type of payment. It doesn't say anything about buyers. http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/safe-payments-policy.html

Michael
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

StormPay

catseye*
Community Member
Well, I felt kinda bad, this is a repeat customer who usually pays with Bidpay - she was kind of taken aback and has a huge dislike for Paypal.

I've accepted the payment and will see how it goes.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

StormPay

We can't offer mailed Cash payments or Western Union? What the heck?

This payment policy is coming online on January 15 of this year! I haven't heard of this at all until just now!

John
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

StormPay

It's all about eBay trying to make this a safer place for buyers (and increase their PayPal business).
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

StormPay

Increase their Paypal business at the expense of the seller.
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

StormPay

funkywatch_com
Community Member
They have better control over Paypal. So they want to control the whole thing...

I can understand, but it still doesn't help us much...
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

StormPay

catseye*
Community Member
I haven't heard of this at all until just now!

I'm surprised, it was announced a while ago and discussed - maybe not on this board but certainly on the .com PS board.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

StormPay

candisurfin
Community Member
Not permitted on eBay.com: Sellers may not solicit buyers to mail cash. Sellers may not ask buyers to send cash through instant cash transfer services (non-bank, point-to-point cash transfers) such as Western Union or Moneygram. Sellers may not ask buyers to pay with Stormpay. Finally, sellers may not request payment through online payment methods not specifically permitted in this policy.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions including:

Listing cancellation

Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings

Listing cancellation

Limits on account privileges

Loss of PowerSeller status

Account suspension

This policy does not affect any payment method commonly offered on eBay today. However, there are some sellers who have listings offering to accept cash and Western Union instant cash transfer, and a few who offer other payment methods that are not permitted under this policy. To avoid disruption of these sellers’ business during the holiday shopping season, eBay will delay enforcement of this policy against existing payment methods until Jan 15, 2006. This policy will be localized for other eBay sites in the coming months.

For me it's Mo's or http://www.certapay.com/en/personalPayments/howitworks.html Only sighhhhh
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

StormPay

llee2
Community Member
But remember, eBay says that "they are just a venue"...at least from the other side of their mouth.

What rubish.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

StormPay

catseye*
Community Member
Candi, the key word is SOLICIT. If the customer asks if you'll take a different payment, then that's outside of the policy since you didn't solicit/request/advertise or otherwise ask for a different payment method.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

StormPay

funkywatch_com
Community Member
Surfing around, I stumbled upon this. Some may find it interesting... a satellite picture of StormPay and netIBA "offices"

http://server2.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=20493
Message 15 of 15
latest reply