Surface Shipping not arrived

Hi, I sold an item to South Africa (I'm in Canada) in March and sent the item on March 3rd. I notified the buyer that it was being sent by surface and would take 6-8 weeks and he agreed. He later opened a dispute because he wanted to protect himself and I have contacted him all along the way. It has now been almost 7 weeks and still no sign of arrival and the buyer wants a refund. The item was insured but I cannot claim insurance yet. I also have a tracking number, but I am wondering if I will have to give a refund if he opens a claim?
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Surface Shipping not arrived

"I also have a tracking number"

Have you given that tracking number to PayPal when the case was opened?
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

What does the Canada Post website say about the parcel when you track it?
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Whatever CanadaPost claims it takes, it takes twice that. 3+ months in the least for surface.

If that really was surface, it would be there already. It takes approx 1 week to cross Atlantic/Pacific Ocean by todays cargo ships.

Since you have insurance, refund with the smile and have CanadaPost pay for it when the time comes. In one case buyer will come back and return the payment, if he does not, the shipment is lost as far as you are concerned.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I have given up on surface shipping overseas for heavier parcels. No matter what the customer says, you will get emails after email asking "where is my item?" , and then the request for a refund. Oversea now its air only.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

surface takes 3 months, Canada post does track that parcel into the country, I just keep an open dialogue with that customer assuring him it is not lost.
If they are understanding they will wait.

I do not refund that quickly.

Tell you customer he hasn't allowed enough time and you will get back to him as soon as Canada Post contacts you.
Next week Canada is stilling looking into it because it takes a bit of time.

I Sent an R/C to Australia, before the sale took place I informed the customer that surface take 3 months, otherwise it would be $600 to send a $100 car, they were fine with that, it took over 90 days for them to get it, and CANADA POST informed me the same day they received it that it was delivered.

COMMUNICATION is the big key here, talk to your customer to let them know you are doing everything, and you will keep them informed, and do the same with the claim they launched, and everything will be ALRIGHT.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I see, you used International Parcel - Surface, not Small Packet - Surface. Service standard 4-6 weeks is not guaranteed on this one, so disregard what I said above about refunding and claiming from CanadaPost. Since it's tracked, they will not refund.

I noticed some buyers file PayPal dispute even if they are aware of longer shipment, only so they do not loose that opportunity in case. PayPal dispute window is simply not long enough for CanadaPost surface shipping. You should probably consider offering surface shipping only on irreversible payments.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

otherwise it would be $600 to send a $100 car,

I'm glad your customer was able to get his head around that and accept the shipping time.

Many wouldn't. Americans being the worst. French none too patient either.

It is worth keeping in mind:

Some sales are not worth having.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Some sales are not worth having.

Funny you say that, That particular R/C car, the Australians want it, and if they want the items I will get it there.:^O
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

This is why I stopped shipping surface to International locations. Even with a tracking # buyers can open an INR with Paypal, and Paypal holds your money until the buyer closes the case.

Doesn't matter if there's a tracking #, if it still doesn't show as delivered Paypal won't close the case.

This happened 3x earlier this year even though buyers were told IN ADVANCE of payment that surface mail takes approximately 8 weeks in transit.

They'll open the dispute before the 45 day Paypal filing deadline to 'protect' themselves. That is exactly what one of the INR dispute filers told me.

nice.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

They'll open the dispute before the 45 day Paypal filing deadline to 'protect' themselves. That is exactly what one of the INR dispute filers told me.

Well, yes. They can't open it after 45 days, and Board posters (including sellers) advise opening the Dispute at Day 43 to be sure of getting in under the deadline.

Opening the Dispute give the buyer and you another 20 days to resolve the problem.

Of course, as you found out, you can avoid the problem by shipping by Air Mail only.

Or taking money orders for Surface.
Message 11 of 11
latest reply