Suspicion ebay buyer?

eyerave
Community Member

Hi guys, new ebay seller here so still learning - but heres a little issue that I would like some feedback regarding. I sold a product for $20 to the united states from Canada. Shipping will be "untracked" and will cost $8.00 buyer paid for it. Buyer purchased the item on February 24th and his ebay account was created the same day February 24th. I obviously understand that everyone starts with 0 feedback and should not be judged or not sold to only because the buyer is completly new to ebay but it still does worry me with all the scammers these days.

The parts that do concern me is he created his account Feb 24th and has (1) feedback score which was left on February 24th? How would someone have received feedback the same day that the account was created as most likely shipping would not be that fast. I understand he could have picked an item up locally and received feedback right after local pick-up was done. But in my opinion that is unlikely. The e-mail address is a little suspicious also as it seems to be a business email at gmail.com but has some incorrect spelling on the email. Usually people would double or triple check to verify the email address they will use for everyday personal and business uses would have the correct spelling - especially if it is a business e-mail. Also when I go to my paypal account under the transaction it says.

Payment From: *************   (The sender of this payment is Unregistered)

I also will mention Yes, he has already paid me through paypal. Not sure what this means that the sender is Unregistered? I do not want to track this package as we all know Canadapost has much more expensive rates for items such as small packets, at the end of the day if an issue did arise out of the transaction with the buyer and for example an item not received claim came around or some sort of issue my losses would be quite minimal - under $20.00. Obviously, no one wants to lose money but losses will come at some point im assuming.

What is your feedback guys? Do you also agree that this seems a little suspicious, would you be worried or am I just overthinking the situation? What would you reccommend doing if you were in my situation, Any feedback is great.

Also wanted to say a thank you to all of the ebay community who participates in helping others with questions and concerns very kind of you.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Suspicion ebay buyer?

Most sellers leave feedback for buyers when the item has been paid for

not waiting till the buyer recieves the item and leaves feedback for the seller.

Check the buyers purchases and see when he purchased the item.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Suspicion ebay buyer?

@eyerave wrote:

The parts that do concern me is he created his account Feb 24th and has (1) feedback score which was left on February 24th? How would someone have received feedback the same day that the account was created as most likely shipping would not be that fast.

I wouldn't find it suspicious. I think I'm one of the very few sellers that leave feedback upon payment. I don't have a good reason for doing so though.. just that I don't care when I leave it. Buyers can only get positive feedback, so I doubt most informed sellers would bother to wade through a sea of green donuts.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Suspicion ebay buyer?

I can't recall 100% why I called it in, I think it was because the payment said the buyer was confirmed in one place and unregistered in another, but I did call in to find out how that was possible and as I remember, if a "guest" buyer uses their credit card to pay via PAYPAL, they do not have to be "registered" in paypal - if their mailing address matches the address on the card it counts as being "confirmed".

I just shook my head, yet another non-intuitive thing for us to deal with. The transaction was fine by the way......

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Suspicion ebay buyer?

Edit: Misunderstood your post. Sorry.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Suspicion ebay buyer?

@ricarmic wrote:

I can't recall 100% why I called it in, I think it was because the payment said the buyer was confirmed in one place and unregistered in another, but I did call in to find out how that was possible and as I remember, if a "guest" buyer uses their credit card to pay via PAYPAL, they do not have to be "registered" in paypal - if their mailing address matches the address on the card it counts as being "confirmed".

I just shook my head, yet another non-intuitive thing for us to deal with. The transaction was fine by the way......

likely on the first paypal page it said the buyer was confirmed then on the shipping page it went to unconfirmed. This is normal and is a glitch in the paypal system that they just refuse to fix. 

no matter, it it's paid by paypal the money is good (usually)

If your item is a high risk item, you might get a claim, but ebay is getting good at cracking down on scammers, so likely the person isn't going to put in an item not received claim over $20, because the truth is mail doesn't get lost in the mail, especially packages. The amount of mail that is genuinely lost is a fraction of 1%. 

edit: if the item was a pair of glasses, you are probably fine. I am sure the resale on these is in the $5 range. Seems like it would be a lot of effort to start an ebay account just to 'steal' this item with an item not received claim. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply