Switched billing currency fro US to Can and now can't pay invoice in US Currency

MORE HEADACHES

Tried to change my billing currency on line from US to Can and it would not let me. I had to call CS to have it changed.

I tried to pay my complete US balance yesterday with a one time payment and it would not let me use my Paypal account to pay my US balance in US$. It wanted me to pay it in Can$ and no way to choose currency.

Called CS again and they wanted me to try to pay with CC as they could not get it to work with Paypal either. I said no way as then I would be paying an exchange rate.

They are now going to take it to technical support as it should be allowed to be paid with Paypal in either currency. US invoice with US currency and Canadian invoice with Canadian currency.

More headaches not dealt with in advance. I sure hope if the auto payment goes through at the end of the month, it takes US dollars to pay it and not Canadian so they can get the exchange on it.

Maybe I should stop the auto pay until they fix this issue?

Any one else going through this issue?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Switched billing currency fro US to Can and now can't pay invoice in US Currency

Your post seems to include several different problems.

Switching "billing currency" is relatively easy but can be done only once a year.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/billing-currency.html

Read very carefully how it works.  The billing currency is attached to everyone of your listings.  So if you listed items last week when your "billing currency" was US$, you will continue to be billed in US$ for those listings.  If you have GTC listings they will remain in the "billing currency" in effect at time of original listing (best to end them and relist).

Typically when a seller changes billing currency there is an overlap of a few months when two balances are kept in your eBay account : Cdn$ and US$.  That is the way the system is designed and has nothing to do with the change recently announced.

Payment by PayPal is generally from the currency balance available in your PayPal account.  That may be tricky if you usually maintain balances in several currencies (like most sellers) but one balance is empty when you attempt to use it.

Personally, I always recommend asking eBay to charge their monthly fees to a credit card, not PayPal. Most credit cards today offer some "rewards" program.  I have accumulated thousands of AirMiles over the years paying my eBay fees.  Credit cards are generally free and do not charge any interest as long as you pay the balance monthly.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Pierre

The issue is I can't pick the currency with paypal. the only choice I have is Canadian even though I have both currencies available.

I called CS before posting this and they said I should be able to pick from either currency and they tried it as well and got the same problem.

Whether it is tied into the Canadian currency change on .ca they don't know either

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Let's try to keep it simple and identify the actual problem - one step at the time

1) you have asked eBay to change your billing currency from US$ to Cdn$.  Is that correct?  When was the change made?

2) when is your billing date at eBay?  15th of the month or last day of the month?

3) Do you have - currently - listings in Cdn$ and US$

4) When did eBay issue their last monthly invoice to you?  Cdn$ or US$?

5) Why are you trying to make a payment through PayPal?  Does eBay normally charge your PayPal account automatically? or your credit card? Since your billing currency was in US$ has eBay always charged you in US$?

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

1. Wednesday

2. 15th

3. Yes

4. US$

5. Always auto pay through Payoal with US dollars. Yes

None of this is relevant to why I can't choose which currency to pay with.

I just want to pay everything owing in US dollars with my US balance as a one time payment and it will not let me. That is the issue right now and CS says it is an issue as it should be possible.

Not sure how any of the questions will solve that issue.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

As stated earlier, you cannot pay your current bill in US$ and expect to be finished with US$.  The system does not work that way.  For a few months you will get two invoices - one for each currency until ALL your listings have been converted to Cdn$

"

• After the change, all fees for new listings will be billed to your new currency account. Additional fees for active listings (for example, if the item is revised, or ends with a winner and is charged a final value fee) are charged to the original currency account. Your old account will be considered "pending" and needs to be kept current or it will become delinquent if it is not paid in full within two billing cycles.

• You will receive separate invoices for the two accounts until the old account is paid in full."

When your eBay invoice was sent on the 15th, did eBay charge your PayPal account and get paid (in US$) or is that the problem?

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

PS - As stated earlier - the easiest solution is to provide eBay with your credit card information for payment of your monthly fees.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Pierre

Please don't keep clouding my issue with things that are not relevant to my problem

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Pierre

Please don't keep clouding my issue with things that are not relevant to my problem

Perhaps the change to Can $ from US $ for billing currency requires time for eBay/PayPal to setup and complete. I would suggest waiting until tomorrow to give it time to complete. I know this sounds silly but sometimes changes between the two companies take time to sync.

Tomorrow before you try, reboot your computer, make sure your browser cache and cookies is cleaned to prevent any possible old code issues, start a fresh browser session and try again to pay.

This what I would do to eliminate some possible causes.

I hope it works for you. Please post back if the above works or not for others to know.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

It will still not let me choose to make a one time payment with Paypal in US dollars as it says C$ and no choices for C$ or US$.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I switched currency years ago so can't remember all of the details but I don't remember having any problems. It seems to me that when I picked the Cdn$ invoice to pay it automatically paid in that currency and if I picked the $US invoice the payment came out in $US. I don't think that I had to choose which currency to pay in...it did it automatically based on which invoice I was paying.

Right now you probably just have one invoice to chose from and that is in U.S.  When you type in the amount you want to pay there is no way to indicate which currency you are paying in so how do you know that it wants you to pay in $Cdn?   Is it possible that it knows that you are paying the US balance so it will automatically pay in $US or is it actually telling you somewhere that it will be in $Cdn?

I don't normally do one time payments now but did one today to refresh myself on how it works.   I'm billed in $US and when I typed in the amount that I wanted to pay it didn't actually specify $US next to that amount but of course the payment was in $US.  You're saying though that it is specifying $Cdn next to the amount you typed in to pay?

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

This is what shows after I had CS switch currency

C $   

(ex. 12345.67)
Pay using PayPal
Enter the amount you wish to pay and click the Pay button.

All there  is C$, no drop down, no US$ anywhere.

I am starting to think it had to do with CS changing it as I could not change it myself as stated in the 1st post. Once converted, you can't pay in US$ any more as a 1 time payment is my guess.

If your billing currency is C$, you can make the payment in C$. If your billing currency is US$, you can pay in US$.

You basically confirmed the same thing when you did not have a choice either.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

"If your billing currency is C$, you can make the payment in C$. If your billing currency is US$, you can pay in US$. "

I have explained earlier how you will have two accounts for a while - one in US$ and one in Cdn$ - but somehow you do not want my help.  As explained earlier switching billing currency is not something that takes effect immediately.

eBay charges the correct account automatically.  By attempting to make a one time payment to an account not yet due (Cdn$) while eBay is processing the US$ payment simply complicates matters.

Let eBay properly bill you - in two currencies for a while - without making one time payments.  Everything will eventually work out.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I don't remember if I could make one time payments then...I thought I could but I could be wrong.

It is odd that since the invoice now due is in $U.S. that you can't pay it in U.S. right now. Hopefully at the end of the month it will work out when they take it out automatically and that once you are billed for your Cdn balance you will be able to make a choice.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

"at the end of the month"

At think that is part of the problem.  His billing date is the 15th of the month.  eBay would automatically take the money as previously instructed around the 22nd/24th - that coincides with the change in "billing currency"

It would be best to simply NOT make any one time payment for the next few months and let the system sorts itself out.

Currently and for the next few months, eBay has two accounts for this seller - one in US$ and one in Cdn$

Message 15 of 15
latest reply