TRUST & SAFETY TEAM out of whack

According to a Trust & Safety Team member answering question the other day, eBay and PayPal are apparently not linked and credit card payments don't go through PayPal.

As well another person of eBay indicated pictures of items doesn't mean anything.

What is going on here?

These individuals need to be yanked from working for eBay.

The guy at Trust & Safety had the gull to yell at me, interupt me when I needed to explain, I hope the recorded conversation throws him out the door!

Hello eBay Administration!  Need to look into what these hired yo yos are doing!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

" person of eBay indicated pictures of items doesn't mean anything"

Based on the negative feedback comments you recently received, I assume you contacted eBay to explain the items you sold were fully illustrated in your listings and you did not deserve the negative feedback.

Unfortunately for you, the eBay staffer is correct: images in the description portion of your listings are links from outside eBay and could easily be manipulated and, as such, as meaningless.

For example, let's say a seller is selling a $100 banknote and the description shows a link to an image showing a $100 banknote, there is nothing to prevent the seller from changing the image to a $20 banknote, using the same URL off eBay.

As such, the eBay staffer is correct.

"credit card payments don't go through PayPal"

That may or may not be true depending on the context of the discussion.  For example, if you pay your seller's fees with a credit card, the transaction does NOT go through PayPal.  eBay and PayPal are two different companies.  While PayPal is owned by eBay, it operates independently and the bulk of its revenue comes from outside eBay.  eBay-Canada and PayPal-Canada are two different entities.

If you have specific questions, it is always best to ask in writing, giving the full context.  You may find these boards  useful, often more useful than eBay or PayPal staffers as answers are offered by experienced users based on actual experience, not employees often reading answers from a "help guide".

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

If pictures don't mean anything, then there is no point in being a Seller.

No logic at all, just excuses, again, which chips away at Seller's, the person has been a headache right from the word get go, and it only gets better as in hindsight this buyer wanted customs declaration to be a total of $30. no more.,  Told the customer to return for full refund.  Insisted on partial.  Told customer to return item for full refund and file to his/her Customs for refund on items duty/taxes were paid for, by producing a copy of the eBay transaction, still no go, this buyer wanted a tablecloth worth $1,000, sold for just a little over $100.00 to then have partial refund?  Nut case from another planet.  It was simple to return, instead of fabricating story after story why he/she wouldn't.  Last message sent was ,to the effect "you just want tablecloth back to resell it"........Now make sense of that !

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

If you upload your own pictures to eBay... then they cannot be changed if the item in the listing is sold...

In this situation  the picture has meaning.

However  ....

If the picture in a listing is on another site... but can be seen on eBay....  The seller can change the photo associated with that listing after the item in that listing is sold... 

In this instance the picture has no meaning in relation to the listing as it could have been changed or modified after the item is sold... 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Every now and again a seller complains that his pictures have been "stolen" by another seller. Often he is told to change the pictures to something embarrassing to the thief. This can be done only if the pictures are hosted off-eBay.

EBay has no control over those pics and the thief becomes a laughing stock.

That's the other side of the story the other posters have explained.

If your pictures in this situation were your own and you use the SYI form to host them on eBay, make sure the clerk knows that.

If you host them on Photobucket or the like, the clerk was right, although she did a poor job of explaining.

I don't use TurboLister. Are TL pics hosted by a third-party.?

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I use Seller Sourcebook which I was on the understanding is a reputable source to list items on eBay with some class and no room for eBay to allege this.

If any revisions are done during the listing and no one has bid yet, this information is then stated on the listing as  'revision'.  Is it not so revisions can't be made once the item has a bid, including pictures? 

What I have learned from this particular buyer is the buyer not complying with eBay policy nor did the Buyer send any messages/questions prior to bidding, nor reading the terms of my listing.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I think we are looking at different things here.

You had a bad buyer.  Unfortunately, it does happen to all of us from time to time, regardless of the venue selected to sell a product. Not much any seller can do about it but move on.

"reputable source to list items on eBay"

The tool (Sourcebook) you used to list and illustrate your item is not questioned here.  However, the reality is that it is possible (in fact easy) for a crooked seller to change the images within the listing without showing on eBay that any revision was made. Any seller hosting images outside eBay can easily substitute a different image with the same URL and nobody would be the wiser.  That is why eBay (and all other venues) cannot consider an image within the listing as evidence of anything as it can easily be manipulated.

A few other comments, if I may, concerning the listing 170728529506 in dispute.

The shipping section uses the shipping calculator and shows a shipping cost of $25 (to my destination) while the description clearly state: **Free shipping within Canada and to the US.

That is the type of mistakes that can get you in trouble with some buyers.

Your item location on all listings reads "North Pole, Canada".  Cute but not accurate nor serious.

Whenever an overseas buyer requests a lower value declaration for Customs purposes (in order to minimize import taxes payable), I automatically suggest to the buyer that the transaction be cancelled and full refund be immediately initiated. It is a policy that has worked well for me over the years.

Some sales are not worth having. That was one of them.

Finally, I noticed in your listings "please do not leave Negative Feedback for this".  Quite frankly, I think it is best to never mention the words "negative feedback" in a listing.  Why give buyers the idea?  A description should be positive in all aspects and "sell" your product and service.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply