The History Challenged Ebay folks are at it again

Today I listed a stamp, Canada Scott Catalogue number 19, item # 330922861121, depicting a picture of Jacque Cartier, a French explorer who lived from 1491 to 1547 and claimed Canada for France. The stamp I listed was issued in 1859.  The listing page had huge warnings telling me to be sure that I was listing an authentic Cartier item. Come on Ebay - read your flipping history books and learn the difference between a stamp and a jewelry item. 

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: The History Challenged Ebay folks are at it again

rose-dee, the dog reference was a satire.

Off topic, but this reminded me an old joke, probably going way back to medieval times, I try  to translate:

Guy rides a horse carriage with barrel through town and guard stops him.

- What are you hauling?

- Lemon juice

- Let me see - guard demands

Guard drinks a cup, frowns and says - You can go now.

- Giddyup, Lemon !!!

Of course, this is private site and Ebay can choose to censor any word or phrase they darn like and there is nothing anyone can do about it. They would be protecting their own behinds and rather censoring more than less

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

The correct spelling is Jacques Cartier

Note that Jacques ends with an "s"

There are many items  with the wording Jacques Cartier listed on eBay....

If one does a search for Jacque Cartier... the "s" becomes irrelevant

A confusing situation.....What is ... or... is not allowed,  and in which categories.

Many Jacques Cartier stamps listed.

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

This site has some information about fighting vero. There is quite a bit to read but I found it really interesting.

http://www.tabberone.com

PJ - Out of interest, since I am a copyright holder, I spent the last half hour or so scanning through and reading this site.  Wow - I'd be very, very cautious about the information on that site.  I certainly don't fault you for posting the link here -- it presents itself as a "self-help" site, but in fact I'm glad I found out about it if only as a warning. 

The obnoxious and offensive language on the site aside, these people seem to believe that, having won a few legal battles on an obscure point, they are now experts on copyright law.  There is, as in many cases where people know a little bit about a big subject, some accurate information scattered around, but also a great deal of misinterpretation, misguided logic, confusion and just pure ranting. 

There are some particularly misleading statements about the copying and subsequent sale of copyrighted works by non-copyright holders that should not be taken as informed opinion.  And I'd be extremely careful about anything they say concerning VERO.  The authors of the site appear to have a very personal agenda in promoting copyright infringement of a particular sort and villifying anyone who happens to disagree with them (their so-called "Hall of Shame"). 

All in all, not a place to get advice.  I would avoid the site for anything but entertainment value.  (I spent over 20 years as a paralegal/researcher, so I usually can spot a site with valid legal information when I see it, and this isn't it).  Again, PJ, this is no reflection on you at all!

There are decent books on copyright and trade mark law by Canadian legal experts that are available in bookstores.  I think they would be much more valuable for anyone who is seriously interested in, or affected by, copyright and trademark issues.

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

Trademarks for large corporations are relatively easy to define....  Things get more difficult for the small registered business...

And then  there is copyright.

It was more easy to identify and track  copyright before the electronic age....  The electronic age is upon us   and it is too easy to make a copy... call it your own  or make it look correct....

eBay is put in a difficult situation with trademarks  and their use to describe an item being sold.....    Is the trademark used appropriately?..   

and if we follow what   has happened over the years  eBay would rather  be in error by shutting down what appears to be wrong... that is with respect to trademarks and large corporations.

Copyright is another matter and it is very difficult to prove copyright infringement  without tracking provenance... It is too easy to make a copy and sell it  as correct....

As sellers  we will have to accept eBay's view  and work with eBay to understand what is appropriate.....  based on regulations in relation to trademarks and copyright...

and there will always be situations  where things  just do not come out "right" for a seller...

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

Embargo on SUDAN!  Also on anything with CUBA on it.  I tried to list my CUBAN stamp collection on Ebay.ca.  No can do.  Hissy fit by the USA.  CUBA would not gain anything if I sold these stamps.  Go figure.

Message 25 of 25
latest reply