The straw that broke the camel’s back….

The straw that broke the camel’s back….

I have been on EBay for over 10+ years, to date, selling over $342,000+ in merchandises over the years.  EBay has made tens of thousands of dollars from me in fees.  I have seen many changes over the years, some I agree with and some I disagree with, and some are just plain stupid, but I have always learned to tolerate/accept the changes…….BUT this new policy is absolute ridiculous.  I am just so sick of EBay protecting buyers, giving them less and less ownership and responsibility for their selfish action.

So there is this new rule for making an offer to an item.  Buyers are now able to make offers without consequences.  I have a buyer who made an offer on an item, I accepted their offer, but it doesn’t end there….my acceptance of the buyer’s original offer now goes back to the buyer to accept (agree/confirm) my “acceptance” of their offer…….how ridiculous is this??  So as a buyer, I can go around and put in a 1000 offers and accept the acceptance of the lowest (best) offer of the 1000 offers that I put in.  I am not new to EBay, so I do understand the whole non-payment of item, time wasted, re-listing…..etc, however, this new rule doesn’t guarantee that the buyer will pay, but they have just wasted many seller’s time for reviewing/replying to offers.  I understand that this issue might be minor for many of you, but I am just so done with these ridiclous changes.  I am done with EBay, I will sell all my stuff and I am outta here.  Unfortunately, this is the end for me. Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: The straw that broke the camel’s back….

@lady.stark wrote:
Have you tried adding the "cash on pick-up" option to your listings? For the moment, that option is supposed to override the new policy of "Item up until it is paid for".

Very interesting - I didn't know this! 

I do worry that where buyers purchasing higher-priced, attractive items are concerned, eventually someone is going to get the rug pulled out from under them before they process payment. 

I wasn't happy at all when eBay instituted this policy, as my feeling is that if a buyer makes a commitment in good faith to purchase an item, let the seller decide how much grace time to give the buyer for full payment.  I understand the argument that it's supposed to benefit sellers by leaving the item available until paid, but I would guess a thwarted buyer will never return to my store again unless they thoroughly understand the policy. 

This is why I've now added a "blurb" to my payment terms politely indicating that prompt payment is advisable to avoid having another purchaser buy the item through immediate payment.

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

Local pick up are available on all my listings.  Probably had about 2500 sales, and only had a handful of people that actually picked up anything from me.  

An update on the offer, time for the buyer to accept is now over, no sale.  Looking at this Canadian buyer (feedback of 330), I can't be 100% certain, but I think he/she would have completed the sale if EBay did not have this new policy for the buyer to reply to my acceptance of their offer. 

Rose, let's face it, you can put all the "blurbs" you want in your lisitng.  If the buyer is unsatified and files a claim, you will always loose your case with EBay/Paypal regardless of what your policy is and what is stated in your listing. 

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

@tazziee789 wrote:
Rose, let's face it, you can put all the "blurbs" you want in your lisitng.  If the buyer is unsatified and files a claim, you will always loose your case with EBay/Paypal regardless of what your policy is and what is stated in your listing. 

Actually in cases where an item with an offer (or a commitment but no payment yet) remains a "live" listing until paid, the initial (would-be) buyer has no recourse for a claim against the seller, and can't file a dispute - they are completely out of luck if someone else comes along and slaps down the money first. 

My problem with this policy of eBay's is that the buyer may be so put off that he/she will never return to eBay or to that particular seller's store.  So I try to give my buyers a head's-up with the informational 'blurb' about this new policy in my listings (for those who bother to look) - for buyers' benefit, not my own.   

EBay's new credo is: You buy, you pay; you wait, you lose. 

I just hope eBay gets enough complaints itself from buyers to drop this ill-conceived (or as some have justifiably called it - stupid) policy. 

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

I think you should just stop using BO and your stress levels will improve, guarantee.

I'm with pierre and dipmicro on this. Best Offer is just a way of saying "I have no idea what this is worth, please lowball me"

Auction with Buy It Now encourages the impulse buyer who just has to have it. Fixed Price allows the impulse buyer to compare your terms and  with others.

If your current listings are what you normally sell, there may also be an ongoing situation with your customer demographics. Selling gaming accessories and computer parts attracts ........ well, I'm not going to be rude.

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

Best offer allows you to set limits, therefore all lowballers offers are immediately declined so that I am not wasting my time.  I have also let go of items for a low price if buyers can justified their offer.  Again, sometimes I do not know how much an item goes for and I may have over priced.

Message 25 of 25
latest reply