Total sales tax collected?

Is there a way to find out how much sales tax i collected for the month of January.   I tried using the export under paid and shipped but it only gives you the total of item + shipping.  

For all of you that collect sales tax how do you figure out this so you know how much every year you have to give back to the CRA.  I deal with buyers from all around the world , so not every sale is collecting. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

If you charge GST/HST on all your Canadian sales, the easiest way is to add up the tax charged as shown on the invoices/receipts you sent your Canadian buyers.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

so you know how much every year you have to give back to the CRA.

Monthly surely?

And don't forget your export credits for items purchased in Canada and exported.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Keep records on a spreadsheet.... and then add up the amount of GST or HST collected....  for Canadian sales..

Use the information on your sales record for each transaction.... under My eBay and then calculate GST versus HST  by province....

My calculation gets complicated as I sell books  which are exempt from PST in Manitoba  and from the Provincial component of HST..... for HST Provinces ....  while GST and full HST is calculated on the cost of shipping....

For books in Ontario HST = 5%  while for shipping HST = 13 %.... So for me it is GST /HST included in the price.

So for GST included in the price GST is calculated as 5/105 = 4.76 %.... with similar calculations for HST for each  HST province.....

On January 1 of each year I know exactly how much  GST and HST was collected over the 12 months previous...

and then ....How much ITC or Input Tax Credit I had...

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

How are you keep track of this?  Are you printing off a copy of the invoice for your self for every order? 

I have an excel sheet that i export every month from the Paid & Shipped Page , but there is no tax collected on it.   

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

"Are you printing off a copy of the invoice for your self for every order? "

Yes.  Since I have to print one for the buyer, it is no big deal to print a copy for myself and attach to copy of payment information.  CRA will require that record at time of audit (been there, done that!)

"How are you keep track of this?"

I use Excel spreadsheets, keeping track of all sales broken down monthly by method of payment, currency and tax status (foreign = zero rated; domestic = rate varies by province)

At year end (tax time) it is simply a matter of adding up the twelve monthly summaries.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply