Type of scam - item doesn't arrive and seller insists on issuing a refund

Is this a thing?

I ordered a low-cost item from China that didn't arrive.  There's tracking info only as far as arriving in Canada.  The seller refuses to send a replacement item saying it will only get lost again so they insist on refunding me.

I imagine a scam around this could work.  It's a low cost item.  The seller is counting on buyers forgetting about the order.  The seller sends an empty envelope with an intentionally bad address - to establish a tracking history.  When they get called out on it, then they refund the buyer...  All very polite and conciliatory so as to not bring Ebay into the picture.  I don't want to make outright accusations here but that too the seller would be counting on.

Does Ebay have any way of stopping this sort of thing?  Does Ebay read the Email exchanges?  

Seller's message:

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Offering to send you a replacement would be much more likely to be a scam.

You do not want a replacement -- your eBay protection disappears if you go that route,

Correct method is accept the refund and reorder if you still want to.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Hmmmm. Not sure I understand exactly how a replacement would be a scam but it sounds like you are saying it would no longer be under Ebay's umbrella. Why is that? I still think that a refund scam like this could work though. Small amounts add up with enough suckers. The seller only incurs the postage cost once to cut their losses when they're "caught". Dunno of course but I'm suspicious. Crooks can be clever.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I appreciate your feedback ypdc_dennis. I just read up more on Ebay's expiry policies. I understand the potential to use stall tactics to pass the "statue of limitations" 🙂 So if I was in the hustling business, I would look for a new, more sophisticated scam... like appearing to play by the rules in a way that I"m suggesting here.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

No the 'item not recieved scam ' INCLUDES the "I will send a replacement" scam.

It is the most common reaction to a complaint of non-reciept.

You NEVER want to accept an offer of a replacement. It won't arrive either, because neither item ever existed.

The scam (when it exists which is probably less often than posting indicate, because people only complain when they are unhappy) is very simple.

An item is sold very very cheaply.

Nothing is sent.

Most buyers forget they ever ordered the cheap gimcrack.

A few complain.

The seller "admits{ he doesn't use tracking because it is so expensive.

The buyer is offered a replacement.

No replacement is sent.

Or the buyer demands a refund (least common).

The refund is sent promptly because the seller does not want to be on eBay's radar as having opened complaints.

The buyer keeps the money from the buyers who forgot and the buyers who are waiting past the complaints deadline for a replacement.

You have an honest seller who is refunding you promptly.

If you are annoyed leave NO feedback.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thanks reallynicestamps. Since the scam you describe is obviously known, a version where they don't argue the point, just refund, would be a clever twist. They are still counting on the buyer forgetting to follow up and maybe most of the time this would not work but what are they out? The cost of a few stamps... All the while staying in Ebay's good graces.

I'm not annoyed. Chances are my seller is indeed honest. It's just interesting to contemplate ways that people might try to run a scam. If I ever decide to turn to a life of crime, I might start with a scam like this 😐
Message 6 of 6
latest reply